Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

baddie  I’d quite happily have dross until the equinox if it means we could have an April and May 2020 repeat. We’re certainly due a lengthy drier spell.

Anyway, what is it with these mild dull and ultra boggy Februaries we’ve been having in this decade? 2020, 2022 and now 2024! I used to think January was the Atlantic wet dank one and February was the start of the “dry(ish) season”. The 2020s have reversed that so far!

• Like 1

Posted

Truly disgusting ‘winter’ weather

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 16/02/2024 at 23:27, WYorksWeather said:

What I could really do without is too many days going well into the 30s, or night time temperatures above around 15C or so

My guess is the former probably won't happen, but the latter will.

We do seem to get many days in the summer now with maxima around 19C and minima around 15C (in the south, at least) due to the constant damp Atlantic feed from the southwest.

The big difference now compared to unsettled 80s summers is that the latter had more NW-lies, hence cool nights as well as days.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
15 hours ago, raz.org.rain said:

God I hope so, we need a good warm and dry spell to compensate for this appalling excuse of a winter.

Looking at how the mildness of this month has disrupted nature, what we arguably need is a a good cold and dry spell!

A March with mean min around freezing and mean max in the high single digits would be just right, along with 150% of the normal sunshine and 20% of the normal rainfall.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 6

Posted

MP-R Wetter than March 2023 then? Beginning to wonder on those charts!

9 wet months on the trot would truly be unprecedented, when did that happen last? 1960/61?

Bet on the next dry month?

Being extremely cynical, I'll go with November. Dry but also boring; mild (2C above average) and dull (50% average sunshine). 😉

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Summer8906 I really hope not!

At worst I could take a 2019 or 2020 which at least turned settled and sunny by the equinox.

• Like 3

Posted

Another day where it was supposed to be sunny all day, but by half 11 its completely cloudy. Just what does it take to get a clear day in this country?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

lovely day yesterday, was at the beach but further inland I was able for the first time to take off my winter coat and sit in the sun (with a wind break 😅) which had some warmth to it finally.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Summer8906 I think May now. Looking like March might still be dry but not completely settled, and perhaps some unsettled weather in parts of April (Maybe a warmer and slightly drier version of 2023). Hoping we see May 2023s synoptics in March (Looking like an unsettled first third), to see what good sunshine we could get

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

BlueSkies_do_I_see

Some people do that at any time of year, "wild swimming" and "'cold weather swimming" is a thing now. There's clubs for it too. I did it in Finland in February some years back. Cold was an understatement, but the coldness is kind of the point (health benefits etc) because then you go to the sauna after 😎 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

reef Special sacrifices to the weather gods of 12 sheep, 11 goats, and 6 willing human volunteers. 

I'm struggling to find the human participants at present. 

• Like 4

Posted

Blue tits in the garden already...the mildness has definitely created some fauna problems!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Summer8906 Are we actually in a notably long series of wetter than average months? I know it feels like it sometimes...

• Like 1

Posted

Rain All Night Yes! If you look at the stats most of the months in 2023 were at average or above average wetness for alot of the UK. And considering the UK is pretty wet as average, that means it's been rather wet indeed! 

Some 2023 months were in the top 5 wettest of all time for many regions of the country. March, October, November and December being standouts. July also very poor.

The only properly dry spells we have had in the last 12 months have been:

- Feb 2023

- The June 2023 warm and dry spell

- The Sept 2023 heatwave

- Jan 2024 cold and sunny spell 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

In Absence of True Seasons Has there been any particular skew towards an increase in the number of wet days compared to average vs. an increase in the amount of precipitation on wet days compared to average, or has it been a fairly balanced combination of both those things?

• Like 1

Posted

Adding on to my prior comment, thought it was worth collating some of the Met Office rainfall maps from last year. Very telling. Some regional disparity of course, such as April which I've included because whilst it was a fairly standard month in alot of the UK, it was very wet in the SE where I live.

Screenshot_20240219-132848~2.png

Screenshot_20240219-132745~2.png

Screenshot_20240219-132832~2.png

Screenshot_20240219-132822~2.png

Screenshot_20240219-132804~2.png

• Thanks 1

Posted

Rain All Night good question tbh! I'm not quite sure on the specifics.

Certain months like March definitely had both. 

I remember talking about this before, but ultimately, alot of places have higher annual rainfall mm than the UK (excluding the very wet areas like the Lake District etc), but the UK's rainfall is spread out quite consistently which makes the climate far wetter to actually experience.

Having your rainfall condensed into 3 days of a month via heavy bursts and the rest of the days be sunny / dry, is very different to live in vs having your rainfall spread out over many days of a month via slow misty rain and persistent drizzle, regardless of whether it's the same total rainfall mm. 

My point is, rainfall days definitely matter. I'd actually say that personally, I'd rather have a month with above average rainfall mm if said rainfall was purely on just a few days of the month, than around average or even a bit below average rainfall if that rainfall was spread over most/all of the month via light rain and drizzle 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
23 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Having your rainfall condensed into 3 days of a month via heavy bursts and the rest of the days be sunny / dry

June 2023 was a perfect example of that with the strong t-storms on the 11th, 12th, 18th, and another burst of rain on the 20th, otherwise dry for most of the month for many, but some managed above average rainfall for the month, one of my favouite months as a result. Only issue was flash flooding on the 11th when it fell onto ground that didn't receive any rain for a few weeks.

2023_6_RainDays1_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.png.f63303ce622db29d26d150a9fa812de0.png2023_6_RainDays10_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.png.4fa019981d49a73da9340ae692a52515.png2023_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.png.5c931905ed864a50306c3d6e2a717435.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Ughhh what we need, more unsettled weather in March 2024. Please give us some sanity by the equinox, or preferably before

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

WYorksWeather I see blokes with shorts on in winter, even on the freezing days, when it hardly gets above freezing by day. I just assume they don't check themselves in the mirror before heading out.

Jacket up top, but bare, hairy, spindly legs lower down

• Like 4