Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Don we are definitely overdue a drier period though. Every month since July has been wetter than average here. I can’t remember the last time we had 7 consecutive drier-than-average months.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted

CharlieBear9 there’s a big difference between the occasional cool, rainy day in summer (which is to be expected), and total washouts like July 2023. 

as long as we don’t get a month that horrendously wet & dull again this summer I suspect any hysteria will be kept at a minimum. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

rain in July and August affects my chest if windows open or outside, must be some allergy, other months fine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

After having one of the dullest March's on record in 2023 along with one of the dullest July's & dullest December's, we are now having one of the dullest February's too! What a treat! Seemingly non stop rain too, lovely jubbly! The UK has been the dumping ground lately for all the undesirable & grottiest weather.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Wet Wet Wet started all this you know september 1987 then we had a crap winter followed by another one and another..

• Like 1

Posted

This February is up there with one of the worst, if not THE worst I've ever experienced. Funny, as these were the charts a month prior.. complete opposite. For a time, it actually looked like it would be the coldest February since 2010.. of course what we're getting is one of the mildest on record. Reminds me of July 2023 which was supposed to be warm given the forecasts, but ended up being the complete opposite. Hilarious.

IMG_4529.png.9e993e2b187a5ee271e167e7d063a972.thumb.png.fc9467baddfac274cf38ed3a1ad171c4.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

See we still have some troopers on the winter model thread. Think that ship has long sailed but you gotta love a trier.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun or Snow

SunSean Me and some friends were talking about this last week. Since July 2023 it's basically been relentless grey and rain with any sunny days or periods few and far between. I got so sick of it that I took 2 weeks off in early Oct to visit friends who were bragging about how unseasonably hot and dry it was in Montréal, of course England then had its first fortnight of uninterrupted sun the entire time I was gone, whereas Montréal had historic levels of rainfall and flooding (*cries*).

I'm always the first to tell people that the stereotype of England being relentless grey and rain is false, but the last 8 months it's been exactly that. I couldn't care less about the temperature really, -10º or +30º no preference, but cloudy days really bring my mood down and I can't remember us ever having such an awful long run of depressingly grey and wet weather.

The first half of 2023 was fine, ending in that fab June heatwave, so I don't think the official stats will show 2023 as a whole being that bad. But I'd love to see the stats for 01 July 2023 - 29 Feb 2024, I'd expect sunshine levels to be incredibly below average. There's been way less blocking than usual, but is it just me or even during the periods when we've been directly in the firing line of the jet stream as is so often the case for England in the Winter, do the systems seem to be much closer together now meaning we get fewer blustery but bright periods of respite? This coming week looks like a classic example of this 😞 

*manifests a biblical blocking pattern and historically dry March*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like a better day here today, both looking out the window and on weather apps. Supposedly up to around 13C with plenty of cloud breaks. Hopefully most of us at least get a largely dry day.

Posted

Also, the models (even high-res) have underdone the temperatures, again.

Here's UKV 03z and Arpege 06z:

image.thumb.png.a26a9760e1df075963975b28d7e9f3e8.pngimage.thumb.png.e39aa51e41a4be674e4f6a6407902a80.png

Here's GFS 06z (for 12z so actually an overestimate):

image.thumb.png.83d69077246455305725ea2b8724e988.png

Here are actual obs, and the netweather top 20 page:

image.thumb.png.17e83f6354ae3fae6989dc740cb32c55.pngimage.thumb.png.568e35566e3198e0f8a002afa89fdb44.png

Worth noting as well that Pershore is one of the CET stations, and has already hit 14C.

Posted

I am a dissenting voice again, because I am liking this February. Yes, there has been some rain, but all in all, it's been alright. Take this week-end: yes, yesterday was a bit grey and it rained in the evening, but today seems a lot better and Friday was more than okay. Bad for coldies, but for us warmies a very promising start to the year 😉

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Such a boring February here.  Couldn’t really careless about temperature (my main interest lies with convective weather) but it’s just the repeated day after day of cloud, dull, grey crap that grates after a while.

I just want a week or so of sun.  Give me 5c and sun over 15c and cloudy, dull crap any day.  The sun can even mitigate a colder air mass come late February anyway.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

After last nights rainfall (and more today), we have breached the 50mm mark for rain once again! That's now 17 months out of the last 19 in my area that have had over 50mm of rain. This has to be a record or at least near record. Absolutely unreal. Hunga Tonga volcano effect???

I'm blaming the guy that created the "worryingly dry" thread- as soon as that went up, we had nothing but sodding rain 😂

Can someone create a "worryingly wet" thread please? Maybe we will get 17 out of the next 19 months being dry then!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

SunSean Tell me about it (I wouldnt put Feb 2024 as bad as the other 3 dull months, but still a pretty poor one). I can bet all my money that March will end up as a dry one, to put a stop to this 8-month torutre that only properly let up in early-September and mid-January. Whats next, an extremely dull June, or maybe September too??????

Its turning colder next weekend, and I hope its the SSWs effect, as I dont want it to happen mid-month again and lead to another March 2023 or any horrible Easterly months like 2013 and 2006

Edited by baddie
  • Like 2

Posted

Nice to have some dry mild weather. Just on my way back from the Mrs gaff in North Wales to liverpool.transport is shocking on a Sunday.but this lovely mild weather makes up for it.get home then off the pub for some Sunday pints and a game of pool and darts.almost t shirt weather.loving it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Been a weird few days here. Some of the nicest and absolute worst February days I can ever remember alternating in quick succession. Thursday was stunning in London with 17c recorded (I think) and bright sunshine for most of the afternoon and so was Friday morning. However yesterday driving west saw torrential rain and grey cloud all day and all night. Today in the south west is indifferent but pleasantly mild. Such mixed feelings about this month!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
3 hours ago, SunSean said:

I'm blaming the guy that created the "worryingly dry" thread- as soon as that went up, we had nothing but sodding rain 

I remember seeing that thread and being absolutely baffled lol. There is nothing dry, worrying or otherwise, about this country, especially in 2023 and now 2024. 

Worryingly wet is a far more apt thread. Every time I talk a walk on somewhere that isn't concrete / pavement, it's sodden and spongelike. Reminds me of when I went hiking in Iceland in Autumn (expected though because it's Iceland in Autumn) 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

AWD my sentiments exactly. Cloud and rain, rinse and repeat.

Today is semi decent though, in my area anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

johncam mark my words, we'll just end up with a continuation of what we've had for the past several weeks, but cold rain instead of mild rain. Basically no one will be happy.

Posted

WYorksWeather It's warm for Feb, but not "warm" per se. If by "warm" we are meaning, effectively, "pleasant enough to sit outside in and relax without layers". This is definitely not that, for me. 

These 16c temps in Feb unequivocally do not feel the same as 16c in May or June. Primary due to the sun strength and chilliness of the breeze. 

My personal categories are thus:

10c - 15c: slightly chilly to mild depending on wind levels, rain etc

15 - 20c: mild to slightly warm depending on time of year and cloud-cover

20c - 25c: warm to very warm depending on cloud cover, wind etc

25-30c: hot

Above 30c: very hot

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted

Today was really nice - a lovely sunny afternoon and a high of 14C. More of this please!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Walking the dog today at the local country park, even the gravel paths were waterlogged in places! Can't escape it 😂 Looked like walking through the mangroves lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

SunSean I travel a lot and i mean a lot, one thing that is standing out by a country mile now is the waterlogged countryside, fields just can't take any more and i mean any. We need a dry spell now desperately , farmers are going to be in big trouble if not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1