Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

*Stormforce~beka* Yeah I'll get that in a few hours. Probably right at the time that I'm going to the pub with my friend and his German shepherd lol.

Which was why I put in my comment "dry day so far". "So far" being the key bit there...always time for more rain later on eh...

• Thanks 1

Posted

I feel like I've seen something like this: UK people want winter all the time due to endless rain. Northern Europe wants winter to end already and miss the rain. When snow melts it's going to be much more wet here than it will be for you when it rains. It depends how much you'll get but usually it's not that bad outside of storms for you. For me it's much hard to move in the snow than to move in the rain. You can use an umbrella for that to not get wet. There's 50 cm of snow here. Isn't that more than enough? Geez, everyone I know is tired of winter.

Edited by Markus03
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Markus03 yes...case of the "grass is always greener".

It's like the walking videos of London in the pouring rain, Americans from Texas and such will comment on it saying "wow looks so cosy and peaceful" because they view it as such, due to getting warm sun nearly every day. 

I imagine most coldies on this forum, myself included in there as someone who enjoys snow and frost and wintry weather, would quickly tire of proper wintry conditions of the type you get in Scandinavia as it would be so impactful and disruptive to just day to day activities and errands etc.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

After an early frost its has been a bright sunny day on the East Coast of Yorkshire for the 2nd day in a row 🌞, great weather for pottering outside no coat needed, currently sat in the garden with a brew, grand job 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
17 hours ago, raz.org.rain said:

certainly some promising trends, something to look forward to? Probably doesn't have enough support to say for certain.

A little too unsettled for me, the low and the high need to be further west. Though some runs do show something more genuinely settled.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

I have a sneaking suspicion that the SSW will deliver an early spring, that's seemingly much more likely than us seeing anything cold.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
11 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the SSW will deliver an early spring, that's seemingly much more likely than us seeing anything cold.

The medium range forecast for my area, whilst mild, is a continuation of cloudy and at times, wet conditions with nothing notably springlike just yet.  Basically the same crap we’ve had for the last 8 months!

Right now I have far less care in what any temperatures might be, I would just like a week or two of dry weather with plentiful sunshine.  Hopefully signs of a significant pressure build start to emerge soon, but for balance, there’s little sign of that right now.  🙄😫

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Markus03 Yup. It was an exceptionally mild/snowless Christmas for much of Canada last year, and on Reddit I saw a lot of people in Calgary/Edmonton etc celebrating the lack of snow. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Markus03  I don't want winter all the time but at the same time I don't want semi-permanent autumn. It has been wet for over a year now save the very occasional dry spell. Every time I look forward to the weekend to continue preparing my allotment by breaking up the soil and getting some nettle roots out it rains, and rains, and rains again, and everywhere is soaking wet. I am not digging heavy clay soil in these conditions, but even when a drier period moves in it is going to take a good month to dry out the ground unless we get a March 2012 setup with warm sunny conditions. I appreciate the nuisance factor with lying snow and don't get why people rave about it when it is nearly always a near nothing event at low levels except during the coldest of cold spells and unless you happen to live in the 5% of the country where the most severe conditions are experienced (i.e. nowhere where I have ever lived). The UK is very bad at dealing with even modest deviations from normal and combined with saturated transport networks with no available slack, it often takes little to cause disruptive delays or have your social events cancelled because people don't want to go out or it's deemed too hazardous. That is not enjoyable at all as far as I'm concerned. At least in Scandinavia they can cope with snow and ice because it is part of their climatology. When I went to Lillehammer in February people were driving around normally and the trains were running, like a damp winter day in the UK.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, al78 said:

When I went to Lillehammer in February people were driving around normally and the trains were running, like a damp winter day in the UK.

And that is because they not are Island nation in the Atlantic! They are geared up fiscally to operate in snow and ice every year we are not for obvious reasons. Try living in a Norwegian house in temps over 30c, its not good, they aren't designed for heat. Of course we are going to get more rain now, we are surrounded by a massive heating volume of water. Those who had this idea we would have a hot Southern France or Northern Spanish  climate are wrong, very wrong.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, cheese said:

on Reddit I saw a lot of people in Calgary/Edmonton etc celebrating the lack of snow. 

I doubt that many in the Winter sport/leisure industry would agree. Cost them millions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

From 1st June 2023 until yesterday, we have recorded 634.6mm of rainfall, which is more than we would expect in an entire year. 

It's so much rainfall, that to get the rainfall deficit back to 0, it would not be allowed to rain again until around the middle of June.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Thought it would be dry today but nope a random shower pops up and moves in from the east, keeping everything wet. I suppose it could be much worse like what the south is having at the moment.

43 minutes ago, B87 said:

It's so much rainfall, that to get the rainfall deficit back to 0, it would not be allowed to rain again until around the middle of June.

Yes, a MetOffice graph I just found via Carbonbrief website for all of last year, shows we're in an increasing surplus from early autumn, another way of showing that something drier and substantially so is now required. 2024 to today not available unfortunately, but would show an even higher surplus up to the end of this February.

image.thumb.png.f6d7f0900dff25cac6389c9768a6c876.png

2022 to compare which feels very distant now:

F7y_6_LI.thumb.png.5dc39138758998272677b94eda67c359.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

markyo "We are not for obvious reasons..." One being because we are rubbish. It is expected that severe winter weather will cause disruption and hardship but a couple of inches of snow causing significant problems is poor, that is not unusual at least once or twice during a normal UK winter.  Even on trains in recent days I have had to strip down to a T-shirt because the heating has been ridiculous, it is like we struggle to do anything properly in the UK, symptomatic of a half arsed, can't be bothered, that'll do, suck it up and deal with it national attitude. I don't know what Norwegian houses are like in 30C temperatures but I know UK ones aren't good either, nor are UK houses good at holding heat in during the winter. UK housing stock is generally poor overall. Most buildings in the UK are unpleasant environments without air con in 30+C temperatures. People who have high tolerance to heat won't appreciate this but it is one reason why health conditions and demand for NHS treatment rises during heatwaves, because there is no escape from the heat if your body finds it difficult to tolerate.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

This whole subject starts to get into levels of infrastructure preparation and investment, which isn't really possible to discuss fully without a lot of politics, and so I'll mostly pass over it. One thing I will say is that (though I imagine it's better now) an Australian great aunt once told me that many houses there were pretty rubbish at dealing with what we would consider a fairly mediocre chilly night, since *their* houses weren't built for *that*.

Posted

Arctic Hare Houses in Australia are terrible, I've never been so cold inside a house, as I have been in Melbourne. 

Australian houses are just glorified tents in winter

WWW.SMH.COM.AU

A study has shown that the poor quality of our housing is behind many preventable deaths from the cold in Australia.

Edited by RJBingham
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted

A properly grim evening for anyone in the south. Cold, windy rain. 

Screenshot_20240225-185511~2.png

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Really sick of this now

praying for a 9 month drought starting on March 1st 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

RJBingham Same here, visited family in Aussie winter once when overnight temperatures went down to 2°C, it was horribly cold indoors, just lay in bed shivering.

Not long arrived in London for a working block and it’s chucking it down. Deep joy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

I know this may be hard to believe but it’s actually managed to stay dry here for a WHOLE weekend! 😮 Crazy I know. For once it’s been a normal February weekend, dry with a mix of sunshine and clouds, overnight frost and daytime temps of 6-7°C. 🌤️ Far more preferable to the 10-12°C wet and windy weather we’ve had over much of this winter. Had it been a month later it would have probably been quite springlike.

• Like 1