Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I think I've got it figured out guys! On why our weather is so crap 90% of the time!

You see, America consumes all the beautiful blue skies, abundant sunshine & even wintry snowy spells and then it passes through it's digestive system, AKA the Atlantic ocean, where it is then excreted as crap, AKA garbage weather directly over the British Isles!

The UK is basically America's toilet to convert their great weather into our crap weather!

Science 👌

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Stabilo19 there are a few people in there who just love cold weather at any time of year and can't stand heat. So even if it doesn't snow, the fact it will be cold is enough for them. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
22 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Likely also because we've had several extremely wet months in the past year already, so it feels more old than shocking, while 2014 and 2020 were the first extremely wet periods in some time.

I'd actually say that Feb 2014 and 2020 came at the end of some equally wet periods starting in Oct 2013 and late Sept 2019 which were both very stormy, rainy autumns and winters. Much like it's been in the past 6-7 months here

• Like 1

Posted

Preliminary sunshine data for February 2024 🌞

Some stations I am awaiting official data to replace estimates.

Nowhere really had a decent total and all pale in comparison to these Scottish locations-

Aberdeen- 106 hours

Leuchars- 97 hours

Kinloss- 101 hours

In South West Ireland, Cork City also beat every English county with 74 hours.

England definitely not the place to be for sunshine in February 2024 (or December 2023 for that matter)

Here's hoping for a better month in March 2024 🤞

Screenshot_20240301_114417_Sheets.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Sun Chaser Well yes, but those happened after overall much drier years. In the past 12 months, March, April, July, October, November, December and February have all been very wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SunSean Some woeful numbers on there.

I've noticed that Derbyshire consistently keeps ranking at / near to the bottom of the list month after month. I windy why? Are they usually the dullest area of England or is it just the specific pattern that seems to have been in place more-or-less since July 2023 that's affecting them in particular?

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Perhaps for Derbyshire, questionable data from the station I use but will keep tabs on it for sure!

Baffling how Coventry (West Midlands) are always amongst the top 15 too considering their annual sun hours are only just over 1500. Never quite understood their high totals compared to nearby counties. 

Also another wall to wall sunny day for Aberdeen today lol. They're the new Eastbourne.

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Weather data to be released on Friday will also likely show that this winter was less frosty than normal.

Parts of the UK including East Anglia, the Midlands and areas of South Wales have had their wettest February on record, the Met Office is expected to confirm on Friday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 28/02/2024 at 12:29, B87 said:

I think the vast majority of people would consider an 18c day in summer to be very poor. 

It depends where in the UK you are. For here, it’s the June average maximum, and just a couple of degrees below average in July. For some parts of the country, such as NE England and western Scotland for example it’s the average high summer max.

If it’s overcast with rain I’d consider it poor, but if it’s sunny I’d consider it to be quite a nice day, if maybe a little on the cool side. If it’s sunny it can feel just about warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt for me. 

On 28/02/2024 at 15:06, Metwatch said:

I was away from mid July to mid August and even most of June and the first half of July I found weren't that bad either. June very thundery overall up here for the Midlands, with mid to late June having a fair amount of warmth and useable days. The first half of July not as great though but again quite a few nice days, just not much in the way of anything properly warm. Probably one of the best extended summers just behind 2022 and 2018 in recent years.

It was much worse up here. The first half of June 2020 and all of July 2020 except the final two days was diabolical here. That month did not even 20C here until the final two days! After the glorious spring, it felt even worse in comparison.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

East Lancs Rain It's 6c below average here in July, nearly 4c below in June.

Apart from maybe the first 10 days of June, we aren't getting 18c sunny days in summer.

It's a typical mid-May or early October temperature.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

Glorious first day of meteorological spring here, 2°C and heavy sleet, welcome to Spring 2024. March often has more snow than the winter here these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
16 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Maybe tomorrow one of the GFS det runs is the odd one out 🤔

And so it was, the 00Z

GFSOPEU00_216_2.png

Posted

Six years ago today we had the coldest spring day. Temps below freezing all day, snow on the ground, frigid easterly gale.. brrr… 🥶 The snow was so deep as well.

511BDE20-A4AB-487D-941F-6577CA5217AC.png

54080A8C-9C57-4C04-8E39-060612317ADF.png

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

1st day of spring 🤣🤣🤣, 3.5c, dark and pishing it down, oh the joys...best put another log on the burner 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

danm I understand personal preference but, speaking for myself, I can't wrap my head around wanting exactly the same types of weather year-round.

I love a good 25-30c sunny spell from May to Sept for instance, but I would be sick of such weather if we had it during every month of the year. It defeats the purpose of living in a part of the world with seasons! Although admittedly, our seasons are rather blurred nowadays unfortunately...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Seems like we had another garden path type of scenario today. Promises of deep cold and a below average CET for March ultimately met with the reliable saying nothing cold, nothing warm. Just very average.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

In Absence of True Seasons I've noticed something similar with Charlwood at times which seems to be a dull spot in SE England, so much so that it can occasionally be seen on the Met Office monthly anomaly maps.

Posted

B87 What about strong advection of an Arctic air mass from well inside the Arctic circle? Something analagous to the beginning of June 1975.

Posted

al78 The first 5 days of June 1975 looked very cool and rainy in London, highs of 14-18c with rain. From 6th onwards, the winds changed direction and gave 8 days in a row of 24-28c and sunny.

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons I wonder if a lot of the hyping on here is wanting things that you can't have most of the time. 30+C in summer. Heavy snow down to low levels in winter. Spectacular thunderstorms. Would people who drool over the prospect of snow do the same if they lived in Alaska or Scandinavia, and would people who crave heat crave it if 35C was an average daily max in summer? Somehow I doubt it.

Posted

Year so far in London.

BZJxXpW.png

February

Mean temp: 9.1c (+3.2c) - warmest on record

Rainfall: 100.4mm (223%) - 2nd wettest on record

Sunshine: 52.5 hours (66%)

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1