Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Warm, wet and dull for much of England and Wales:

image.thumb.png.0ec0fafcfd3992a1318326c1cdea7ad9.png

image.thumb.png.4afcd5daf57e52ade60cb1b1dcb93dfb.png

image.thumb.png.ff572b5658a060d4528f09509608f4b1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

B87 There was snow in some parts on 2nd June 1975

Edited by Mark Parsons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Can feel my mood darken already, totally unnecessary as the outlook is still fairly positive, normalish Spring weather on offer, but the worst 6  months of the year are approaching fast October can't come fast enough now. Health both physical and mental will suffer. If i could hibernate i would and avoid the next 20 plus weeks with pleasure. And let us be honest we haven't had a Winter have we?  My favourite season is a non event....again. 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

markyo never wish your life away..you are a long time dead 

• Like 2

Posted

cheeky_monkey Try doing my job in the Summer months. You would see where i'm coming from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

markyo get a different job then 🤔

• Like 3

Posted

cheeky_monkey To old now and to much responsibility, its not that easy

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Dublin this morning 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
19 minutes ago, danm said:

image.thumb.png.4afcd5daf57e52ade60cb1b1dcb93dfb.png

Also wettest winter on record for East Anglia, southern England and parts of the Midlands, such as here in Coventry overtaking the winters of:

327.0mm 1976-77

310.6mm 2013-14

287.8mm 1914-15

This winter there has been 341.8mm.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted

danm That is just shocking for February, I mean truly shocking. Almost as bad as December 2023s maps. The short dry spell Met Office is "promising" wont be enough. We need a dry spell that lasts through the whole second half too, and more sunshine

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

raz.org.rain In the southern half of the country but even there, only a handful of times a year on average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

B87 Oh well, at least it has been mild! 😆 Just out of curiosity, what was the mean max for London in Feb 2019? That felt like a much warmer month than this one, the nights were a lot colder but the days were much warmer with much more sunshine and much less rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

markyo Agree with every word, mate. It'll soon be 'hunt for the first 25c' etc...endless heat plumes...time to batten down the psychological hatches, methinks! 

• Like 2

Posted

SollyOlly I'm with you on the extreme heat, but sorry to disappoint but I am now looking for the first 20C-25C type days. That's pretty much perfect weather for me.

But I'll be in here complaining if we get anything too far into the 30s.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

danm Yep, the very worst of so-called 'winter' weather. Warm...damp...grey. And to think that February used to be the wintriest of winter months when I were a lad...!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

markyo  we have, this is England not Scandinavia….our winter weather is predominantly cool/mild and wet, very very rarely snowy, am I missing something?

I’m sorry you feel that way (maybe a move to the northern isles might be good for you) but many of us are barely hanging on after the historically dull and wet winter we have just had, bring on warmth and sunshine.

I’ve had a look at the latest gfs and yet more cool and wet weather to come, the high pressure seems to have disappeared, hopefully it’ll reappear as I don’t think I have it in me to endure another rubbish month 

Am I missing something? I don’t ever remember feeling warm the past 4 months, mild some days maybe but never warm unless I was indoors 😂

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
Just now, TwisterGirl81 said:

we have, this is England not Scandinavia….our winter weather is predominantly cool/mild and wet, al I missing something?

You can hardly say this has been a normal winter. This is more what you'd expect in western France or maybe even northwestern Spain. February was even warmer than the average March, and was grossly wet. December was also one of the warmest on record even despite that little cold snap at the very start. If it wasn't for that short lived cold spell in January then this winter would have probably beaten 88/89. It wouldn't surprise me if it's locally the warmest on record in some places.

cheeky_monkey Oh yes, upending your whole career and finding a new job is that easy. The person you're talking to may have been in this line of work for decades and has no other viable career choice, or might just not be in a position to leave a job and find another line of work. You should probably use your head before making such a moronic comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Metwatch It's the sort of winter you expect in mid-western France or northern Iberia: Extremely dull, 100+mm every month and very mild. February in London was over a degree warmer than the average March, it must be the same case for most places with how mild it was across the board.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

CryoraptorA303  I can, there is always milder periods in winter likewise colder periods, this winter feel no different other than it has been wetter and duller than average 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SollyOlly Even 10/15 years ago when I was younger Feb was definitely much more 'wintry'. Although this year has been particularly mild, primarily because it's been so wet!!

It's a shame we didn't much, if any, snow this Winter season. 

As someone who enjoys both cold *and* warmth I will now personally be looking onwards and upwards to the "first 25c" as you say, because Winter is dead and never really truly begun this time, but I recognise that not everyone is a fan of such warmer weather. Horses for courses!

• Like 6

Posted

TwisterGirl81 The stats and lived experiences of almost everyone here clearly show that this has been far from normal, I'm not going to argue about it with you for the sake of being contrarian.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
40 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just out of curiosity, what was the mean max for London in Feb 2019? That felt like a much warmer month than this one, the nights were a lot colder but the days were much warmer with much more sunshine and much less rain.

Feb 2019 mean max in London was 12.3c. 

It was an even warmer month than this:

image.thumb.png.7d341e4283cfc3f4c952225f338eaf52.png

...but also much drier:

image.thumb.png.d11fc098c402016a9b644ae733ebd8e1.png

...and sunnier:

image.thumb.png.329b68df549c78016f2e9e6a62679f89.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

There isn't such a thing or person (in this specific case it's winter) that can be defined as "normal", it's how abnormal something or someone is.

For the context of this winter, it's been quite abnormal, with rainfall and warmth records broken, but could it be getting somewhat less abnormal with warmer sea temps and warming in general? Recent trends with respect to winters in the last 2-3 decades suggest that might be the case now.

• Like 1