Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Could this wind please go away

• Thanks 1

Posted

Minimal sun here today. We had a brief  sojourn into the warmth yesterday while I was out shopping in town but as soon as I got home the heavy clouds came back along with the winds, and the temperature dropped down to the point I had my fire on again. Windy but not horrific here today, but drizzle coming through again. 

Posted

If you want to hear a stat that sums up 2023 and 2024: just looking back through my records and since 7th Sep 2023 there have been only 45 out of 213 days when it hasn't rained at some point.

Today is not one of them. Heavy showers have dumped 3.8mm. The first 7 days of April have seen 70% of the average monthly rainfall.

We have not had a 100% clear day during daylight hours since 17th January.

Grim!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

The past 6 months has been pretty much the same with 80% of days being 8-12c and raining. The Atlantic weather has been nonstop since October.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Folk should now just accept, we sit in one of the biggest oceans, with one of the strongest maritime currents at a latitude the same as Moscow in a climatic change period the speed of which the world hasn't seen since that certain asteroid hit. More energy in the system will mean more cloud, more rain. Blue skies could become as rare as snow soon.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I don't remember an astroid hitting earth. What did I miss?

Your joking i hope!

Posted

*Stormforce~beka*

1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

No seriously 😳 😂 When was this?

Chicxulub crater......climate hasn't changed so rapidly world wide since then

• Like 1

Posted

markyo Google told me it was 66 million years ago. That would be why I don't remember it ... I thought it was a recent thing 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Google told me it was 66 million years ago. That would be why I don't remember it ... I thought it was a recent thing

Thats exactly my point.....i never said it was recent!!!!! We are changing now at a faster non linear rate since then. And that is a fact, not a opinion.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

markyo I begrudgingly agree, it seems like this climate is now either a rainfest or a humid blowtorch with no inbetween, and this is our future. What a horrid climate. I'd much prefer the climate of somewhere like Austria with much more consistent seasons and nowhere near as much potential for massive blowtorches or rainfests.

My week in Austria was the sunniest probably since June 2023.

• Like 2

Posted

I thought it was all down to a particularly powerful El Nino, this last year or so.

Posted

Bristawl Si will have had a effect but the main driver is the shift in climatic change

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
42 minutes ago, markyo said:

More energy in the system will mean more cloud, more rain. Blue skies could become as rare as snow soon.

I hope the last part of that will prove to be excessively pessimistic. After all, several people here have posted stats showing that annual sunshine hours have actually *increased* in the last decade or two. But more rain too seems absolutely nailed on. It's just the consequence of a warmer atmosphere.

• Like 3

Posted

baddie That would be frustrating for us in the East Midlands. May 2023 had a lot of cold and foggy North Sea days with areas like Devon getting wall to wall sun. Even on the days when it was sunny here it wasn’t that warm as the breeze was suppressing the temperatures.

• Like 2

Posted

raz.org.rain it's probably likely that both are the new normal: alternating mild, dull, wet spells and hot, dry, sunny spells..

Its the rest which seems to slowly becoming extinct.

• Like 1

Posted

I think suggestions about what is or isn't going to be the new normal are still very premature. We probably need another 10-15 years of data. Of course warmer is without a doubt - especially in spring and autumn. Wetter winters look likely. Summers are harder to predict - could go drier, could go wetter. At the moment, we don't have enough data to say really.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

WYorksWeather agree. We’re clearly scarred by the last 18 months of way above average rainfall, but turn the clock back to August 2022 and with a parched landscape we were talking about severe drought. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Well the past 2/3 days have been perfectly pleasant imo. A bit windy but that’s it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

cheese agree, that wind has been annoying but we’ve had decent amounts of sunshine, especially today, and it’s been warm in that sunshine. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

markyo Buggar, that could be a depressing thought for many. In Sheffield, sunshine has increased from  the 1961-1990 period, to the 1981-2010 period, and again in the 1991-2020 period. 

Source; https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcqzwq04e

Do you think it is going to go back down again then, by the 2001-2030 period, because of climate change?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

WYorksWeather yeah, it seems like people have become really reactionary regarding our weather recently. We get a period of warm, dry weather like 2022 and suddenly drought is the new normal - now we’re apparently going to become a rainforest or something. I think people need to relax a little.

As far as I’m aware experts have always suggested that winters will most likely become wetter. The other 3 seasons are less certain imo.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3