Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

SollyOlly I would say it’s only been the last 12 months that has been extremely wet. Before that here at least was dryer than normal for the 5 previous years at least. I do agree about the cooler periods becoming less. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Augusta Snow Yes, fair point. Recency effect! 🙂 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Augusta Snow said:

SollyOlly I would say it’s only been the last 12 months that has been extremely wet. Before that here at least was dryer than normal for the 5 previous years at least. I do agree about the cooler periods becoming less. 

very wrong 

IMG_2997.thumb.png.a677c27052b117516e85b31993195af0.pngIMG_2998.thumb.png.ddb603046b8bbfa5674f7998e52606fe.pngIMG_2999.thumb.png.3c640438784208903e22141568b0c5af.pngIMG_2421.thumb.png.452e4cd6e625e3d939eaad8121c7162d.pngIMG_3002.thumb.png.2b301091bcb18d8bfce4eaee3aede200.png

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Daniel* Interesting how North West Scotland have been almost consistently drier than average over the past 5 years. Bizarre!

• Like 1

Posted

SunSean Southerly tracking jet stream. In typical wet patterns we see the jet stream further north, meaning that most of the rain batters western Scotland, NW England, occasionally pushing further east or a bit further south. But the recent the south had such an anomalously wet period recently is that the jet stream has frequently been displaced so far south that deep lows that would typically affect northern England or Scotland are instead affecting more southern areas.

Hence, March was a poor month here but not awful, whereas for you I imagine it was pretty shocking. That's the inverse of the usual pattern in these sorts of conditions - wettest weather reserved for Scotland and northern England, drier further south.

• Insightful 1

Posted

This morning is much better than yesterday, bright, plenty of sun and despite a strong breeze it’s not overly cold. 

• Insightful 1

Posted

WYorksWeather Yeah, seems like the jet stream just packed up it's bags and emigrated south for the foreseeable. Dont really see anything changing tbh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Augusta Snow said:

wouldn’t say very wrong in my exact location which is what I said. 

Are you looking at map? Your location has not been drier than average. You live in a dry part of world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The breeze is a lot less today, lots of sunny spells and feeling pretty warm out there in the sunshine. 16c at the moment. 

Posted

Daniel* When I look at the anomaly maps I tend to hone in on the spread across a wider area, as lasering on one small location can highlight very localised events that may have resulted in one area having slightly more than average rainfall versus another area not far away having less than average. Those are likely cause by a couple of intense showers that could have dropped a tonne of rain in a few spots. E.g. look at the map below for 2019:

image.thumb.png.549644a9a0ec60d5a826945674ec0408.png

IMG_2234.thumb.jpeg.cd0af7003c3352d3ebab701892666503.jpeg

Patches of the same region in the SE/EA had slightly higher than average rainfall, whereas a short drive away it was lower than average. Looking at the entire SE/EA region shows it mostly at about average rainfall for 2019, a few places slightly above and a few slightly below. That to me suggests that the places that had slightly above average rainfall must have got those totals from localised, short events such as a few intense showers. The region as a whole there is about average for rainfall in 2019. 

Edited by danm

Posted

Daniel* two out of three shows lower than average at my location. Go back another 3/4 years and it was extremely dry in

IMG_3729.png

IMG_3728.png

IMG_3727.png

IMG_3726.png

• Like 2

Posted

Summer8906 Im thinking this will be an April version of May 2023. Very wet and dull first third, then dry and mostly sunny last two thirds. Im anticipating the second half of April being quite Easterly

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

baddie Nice. I would welcome that with open arms.

For now, we're back to the overcast  weather with low cloud base after a brighter and less humid interlude yesterday. But looking forward to the hoped-for change of pattern. Tomorrow perhaps the last really, really poor day for a while.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Summer8906 Tomorrow is probably going to be those "failed" terrible days from March (4th, 19th and 26th). Forecasted persistant rain from noon onwards, but the reality is sunny spells until evening followed by light rain. Tuesday and Wednesday looks terrible though

Edited by baddie

Posted

Augusta Snow yep there have been a few wetter than average years more recently but prior to that there were more drier than average. 

Posted

baddie I wish I had your optimism lol. Overall trend still looks complete guff but there's always hope I suppose, despite this unshakeable pattern.

Posted

Nice day overall today. Cooler temperature wise than yesterday but feels warmer as the wind isn’t as strong…

IMG_2233.thumb.jpeg.c4667b46f91e4d5ec8c1ec995576821b.jpeg

Posted

AWD Yea forget it. It's been the same since last March. A whole year of Autumn!

In Absence of True Seasons Your not allowed more than one sun day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

5.5 hours of sunshine so far. The most since March 30th.