Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

stainesbloke Is that the weather in Czechia that you mean?

Not looking *too* bad in London. 14/15c with sun and cloud, no rain other than some showers tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny spells and pockets of blue skies here today. Pleasantly calm too. All change tomorrow, with it feeling much cooler with blustery showers expected.

Posted

Yesterday was only like the second day this spring where it’s actually felt springlike and it was nice taking my son out for a walk (even though there were random 90mph winds every so often)

today is okay when the sun is out.

Looking thoroughly uninspired for the next 10 days although dry which I guess is something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Azazel Yeah it's pretty dry which is good, but it's rather poor to not be seeing a single day over 15c for the foreseeable. 

It's just 13/14c and "partly" sunny. Very meh.

We had a run of April's with properly warm spells in the mid to late 2010s, and then obviously we had April 2020 which was something else entirely...since then though, they've been very uninspired. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
39 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

We had a run of April's with properly warm spells in the mid to late 2010s, and then obviously we had April 2020 which was something else entirely.

I feel that we have been spoiled a bit with April warmth in the last 15-20 ish years. Typically they're not meant to be months which have much in the way of prolonged warmth going by past stats, especially pre 21st century. 2023 and 2021 of course gave us that pre 21st century April experience with a lack of anything that can be classed as warm following quite a few warm Aprils beforehand. The only other period with several warm Aprils clustered together is back in the 1940s.

image.thumb.png.57a8a21e815daedbd047e200ee630e39.png

39 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

since then though, they've been very uninspired. 

April 2022, a bit of a forgetten one (I can't remember much of spring 2022 either bar late March and mid April) but that had some decent warmth mid month. This April for some particularly in the south east have also had 2-3 days of warmth in recent days so still continuing to be a trend for the most part.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Still haven't hit 20C here yet and it doesn't look likely this April now. However looking through when years hit 20C first it isn't a bad thing here:

2012: 28th March
2021: 30th March
2011: 6th April
2020: 8th April
2007: 15th April

1995: 3rd May
1989: 4th May
2003: 4th May
2006: 4th May
2022: 14th May

I think I'd rather it was in the second group!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

This is a very unscientific observation but I've always tended to notice that late spring warmups tend to be much better for classic summer setups. Early warmth in spring tends to lead onto disappointing summers. The late 2000s/early 2010s was an example of good early spring warmth and forgettable summers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In Absence of True Seasons yes, looks a bit better in the UK. Very depressed temperatures in Central Europe.

IMG_1217.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

ChannelThunder Haha! Had a chuckle at some of it, though the general level of ignorance/lack of education/fantasy is quite mind blowing, really 

• Like 1

Posted

stainesbloke definitely subdued! Although much if central Europe just had a very good spell of warm sunny weather well into the 20c's. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

stainesbloke I’m in Zurich on Tuesday and Wednesday for a work trip. It looks very chilly there after a warm weekend. Just 9c-11c and showery. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yes please…

image.png.097e1129f4ae7c2611853e0c2b9a2d5b.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

reef  raz.org.rain I very much agree with this observation, the vast majority of very warm/hot springs are followed by forgettable at best summers. Perhaps 2007 and the record-hot May year of 1944 are the best demonstrations of this. 2020 did have the psychotic August heatwave but 2020 in general was a climatically strange year so that can probably be discounted.

2018 did have the record-hot April day but that was a very brief warm spell, most of April 2018 wasn't that warm. 2003 was similar, it did have a very warm spell in April but also a lengthy cold spell, even with freezing nights in London. April 1995 was colder than average before a big heat spike in May. April 2006 also wasn't very impressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

danm On the balance of things, a notable heat spike before the month is over can't be discounted imo. I'd be surprised if we don't see temps in excess of 20°C again, it seems almost certain to happen at this point.

• Insightful 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons True, can’t complain too much, had some beautiful weather here lately. I’d rather have some useful rain than cold now, though

danm That’s chilly, at least you’re only there for 2 days 👍🏻

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just put the heating on for a bit.

It's been grey and chilly here today.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I've just put the heating on for a bit.

It's been grey and chilly here today.

Same here.  Been fighting it but fingers got too cold and couldn't type.......

• Like 2

Posted

Genuinely curious here, how do you feel cold enough to put the heating on in low-teens? Is it a case of poor insulation or something else? I can't imagine putting the heating on at anything above a few degrees, let alone teens. Not trying to take a pop at anyone, I genuinely can't imagine being cold enough at these temps to want the heating on (I'm in shorts today even) so I'm curious.

Edited by CryoraptorA303

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

CryoraptorA303 I've got the heating on aswell, houses here havent had the sunshine or warmth during the day to heat the bricks up, we havent even got above 15c in my location yet and its been mostly cloudy.  Currently 11c so basically winter temps still.

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 2

Posted

Freeze Shoreham reached 16.3°C on Friday.

Even without buildings getting warm, how do these temps feel cold enough for heating? Even in winter I barely feel cold enough for it, this winter I appreciated the heating for about two weeks worth of January mornings maybe. Otherwise for me it's been too mild/warm for it.

Again, not trying to take a pop at anyone for this, I'm just trying to understand how these temps could possibly be cold enough for heating. Do people not try wearing jackets etc. first? If I feel a bit chilly in winter I put a jacket on first before resorting to turning the stuffy, migraine-inducing heating on and making the house too hot, and it's almost always enough. The last time that I appreciated the heating being on in the day was in the December 2022 cold snap, it was totally unneeded last winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

2018 did have the record-hot April day

There was no record set in April 2018. Just as well really as the month was undeserving of one anyway.

Posted

CryoraptorA303 ours has been totally off for about a week now and i dont intend to put it back on until late October.

It's already down to 11c outside and a chill wind, but house has stayed warm due to decent sunshine last couple of days, plus we do have a small window open in living room right now and small windows open upstairs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
13 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Freeze Shoreham reached 16.3°C on Friday.

That 16c must have been very brief as I didn't notice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm shocked at the lack of sunshine here. Just 175 hours Since February 1st. That's less than the average for the whole of April.

• Like 3