Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
1 hour ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Genuinely curious here, how do you feel cold enough to put the heating on in low-teens? Is it a case of poor insulation or something else?

Poor insulation defintely the main factor. Another reason the lack of sunshine, though I'm in a north-facing semi-detached home so still not the warmest. Haven't put it on yet following recent warmth but likely tomorrow to Weds put it back on a little in the evenings.

1 hour ago, MP-R said:

There was no record set in April 2018. Just as well really as the month was undeserving of one anyway.

Although 16th April 1949 might hold the record, 19th April 2018 was probably equally as warm as in 1949 or even slightly warmer given not the best station coverage across the south east back in the 40s with a lot of stations mainly 27-28C looking on RoostWeather. On Torro the 28.9C is better accepted or more accurate than the 29.4C given the star next to the value. Either way a 30C is overdue at the end of April now.

image.thumb.png.ca4ae5f2550fb3e8ee68248d06868c2b.pngimage.thumb.png.06c2f9273a195671e53552a531c0aa29.png

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

CryoraptorA303 The high would need to nudge further east before month's end. Not impossible, but there's not really a lot of random outliers getting to +10 or +15 at 850hPa like there were earlier in the month, so that seems to suggest it's not especially likely. Reaching 20C again is of course possible - only takes one slightly warm day at the very end of the month. But I think any more notable heatwaves, and especially the first 25C, will now have to wait until May.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Today's persistent bank of nondescript cloud suddenly cleared entirely... 30 minutes before sunset of course 😆

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Metwatch The 1949 record is unreliable anyway. Greenwich was still using a Glaisher shield at that time if I recall (hence the rubbished 37.8°C and 37.2°C readings from 1911 and 1932 respectively) and Wealdstone is very suspect in other heatwaves, being out of line with nearby stations on multiple occasions. Kensington Palace I can't comment on but I doubt it'd comply with modern standards, the same as Camden Square which has unreasonably high records in numerous heatwaves and so should at the very least be treated as suspect and in all likelihood as a bull💩 station.

Overall I go with 27.8°C at Heathrow and Wisley (Mildenhall is another station that has been disqualified by the MO) as the daily max for that day, which makes April 19th 2018 the warmest April day on record. The heat was far more widespread in 2018 anyway, which especially in the age of decimal Celsius is far more reliable than the very disproportionate rounded Fahrenheit numbers.

Even if you accept 16th April 1949 as the hotter day, MP-R is still incorrect as April 2018 set the daily low record even accounting for 1949. If you're really that passionate about the dubious 1949 record then you could argue that 2018 had the hottest air over us at night, but to be honest I'm not interested in excuses, 2018 is the more reliable record.

Within a few years we'll see an unprecedented April heatwave and 30-32°C reached anyway which will rubbish the 1949 record regardless.

Edited by CryoraptorA303

Posted
2 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Genuinely curious here, how do you feel cold enough to put the heating on in low-teens? Is it a case of poor insulation or something else? I can't imagine putting the heating on at anything above a few degrees, let alone teens. Not trying to take a pop at anyone, I genuinely can't imagine being cold enough at these temps to want the heating on (I'm in shorts today even) so I'm curious

Genuinely curious here too.  What’s your indoor temp need to drop down to for you to put the heating on?

Max outside here today was around 10c.  Plus it was cloudy so there was no sun to heat the house.  Indoor temp was around 15c which was uncomfortable.  An hour with the CH on brought it up to 18c.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
7 minutes ago, moochops said:

Genuinely curious here too.  What’s your indoor temp need to drop down to for you to put the heating on?

I couldn't give you an exact number, but 14°C starts to feel a bit chilly and that's jacket time. I don't know how low it has to get for me to not mind having the heating on, all I can say is the ambient temperature has to be very low. I don't think my house is particularly good at conserving heat, actually it's quite open plan, but it has to get really cold outside for it to start feeling uncomfortably cold. I have a tropical fish tank in my room but that only heats my room, that can't account for the rest of the house. I can't think of any other reason why the house could stay warmer than normal.

10 minutes ago, moochops said:

Max outside here today was around 10c.  Plus it was cloudy so there was no sun to heat the house.  Indoor temp was around 15c which was uncomfortable.  An hour with the CH on brought it up to 18c.

An ambient temp of 10°C is nowhere near enough for me to want heating on, even in early January with no sunlight. 15°C indoor temp definitely doesn't feel uncomfortable for me, I don't think I'd even want to have a jacket on at that point. I remember last Christmas with the mild spell where we reached about 15°C outside for two consecutive days and approached the record daily min, it felt uncomfortably stuffy in my house.

Posted
2 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Even without buildings getting warm, how do these temps feel cold enough for heating? Even in winter I barely feel cold enough for it, this winter I appreciated the heating for about two weeks worth of January mornings maybe. Otherwise for me it's been too mild/warm for it.

Again, not trying to take a pop at anyone for this, I'm just trying to understand how these temps could possibly be cold enough for heating. Do people not try wearing jackets etc. first? If I feel a bit chilly in winter I put a jacket on first before resorting to turning the stuffy, migraine-inducing heating on and making the house too hot, and it's almost always enough. The last time that I appreciated the heating being on in the day was in the December 2022 cold snap, it was totally unneeded last winter

I guess you just need to accept that you’re the anomaly and most other people feel cold and put the heating on when it’s 4c indoors 🙂

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

An ambient temp of 10°C is nowhere near enough for me to want heating on, even in early January with no sunlight. 15°C indoor temp definitely doesn't feel uncomfortable for me, I don't think I'd even want to have a jacket on at that point. I remember last Christmas with the mild spell where we reached about 15°C outside for two consecutive days and approached the record daily min, it felt uncomfortably stuffy in my house.

How about the higher range then?  Do you melt at 20°C?  Evaporate at 30°C? 😂

• Like 4

Posted

CryoraptorA303 wearing a jacket indoors feels a bit weird. Its uncomfortable.

I like the house to be around 18-20 degrees for me to feel normal. The lack of sun (until yesterday) means the house just hasn’t warmed at all and has been chilly since like October. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Grey during day light hours, then clear at night. Typical!

Screenshot2024-04-14220421.thumb.png.07988c1987e6d1491aad46fdd64f68b7.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Absolutely hammering it down again here. It's been on & off all night. Mini rivers down the sides of the road. The local farming land is done & dusted for this year, unless you want to grow rice.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Back down with a bang this morning. Wet, windy, cool. 

Spring can be the most frustrating season - wild swings from warm to cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

CryoraptorA303 Some house are definitely poorly insulated. 

Overall though, some people just have completely different tolerances / perceptions to temperature.

There are people on this forum for whom 20c is "too hot" and "uncomfortable" whereas to me, and many others, 20c is basically just the beginning of anything properly warm, a world away from hot. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

MP-R It did have this though (in London, at least).

Aprils from 2015 to 2020 saw some real warm spells, and they often fell on weekends too. Lucky indeed.

Screenshot_20240410-094033~2.png

Screenshot_20240410-094023~2.png

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

In Absence of True Seasons Yes it was a good spell, and ended with (ironically) the best storm of the year here. For sunshine however 2019 was better.

Back to today and the winter coat is back out! 😩

• Like 1

Posted

marky810 It's done for many places across the country. I drove up North with a friend last weekend and most of the countryside we went through, was properly flooded. There were huge ponds and pools in fields that shouldn't exist. You could've kayaked on them, such were some of their size. 

Even with the few days of drier weather at a time that we are now shifting towards seeing, a single afternoon or morning of rain brings us back to being sodden again and undoes all the drying that's been achieved. We legitimately need weeks without any rain whatsoever to sort things out, which just isn't going to happen, because we live in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

MP-R Today is dire. Probably just about the worse conditions possible for mid April, imo. Heavy winds, pelting rain, and barely double digits.

Thankfully only a one day affair, rest of the week looks a lot better.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

On the plus side… the sun is now out and all the wishy washy high cloud has gone. Just need that high to build in now trapping the clean air in!