Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
19 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

50mm seems a bit of a stretch for Heathrow at this point.

A quick survey of the accum precip charts available now suggests is in the realms of the possible, if not the probable. From what I've seen there's anything from 15-30mm modelled. 

Models aren't reality of course, but were I forced to go over under on 50mm for Heathrow, I'd go over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

rwtwm It's still a lot less than the past two months. People need to see the positives that do exist or they'll never be happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

April hasn’t been a dumpster fire here. Only the first week was truly poor but since has been a pretty meh and forgettable month.Some sunnier and nicer days with some overcast and cold days. All in I’d give this April a 4/10. Lack of any true warm or sustained sunshine keeps it in the low-mediocre range. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Last summer was the only year in my life where grass in my garden and local area has basically zero yellowing. Which, obviously, is indicative of the type of high summer we had

Similar to 2020, last year any yellowing observed was quite early in the warm season, as the driest part of the year was mid May to late June. Wherever managed to avoid most of the thunderstorms until later in June would have probably seen some stress on the grass, I remember there being a little around here, but wasn't that much and then had storms weekly from 11th June to early July keeping soils wetter. In the some areas in the east and south there was less than 25mm.

2023_6_Rainfall_Actual.thumb.png.f32e9cde8b5e7a3b72015d1f5399d062.png

With 2020, the most yellow the grass was at the end of May / very start of June following such a dry May, then the rest of summer wasn't that dry and kept everything more "lush" throughout the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

B87 Your post...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

markyo About yellow grass happening every year? It does.

The only time I recall it not going yellow or brown was in 2007/2008, and they were incredibly bad.

Posted

CryoraptorA303 I want at least average sunshine. We haven't seen that for months. 

Still no sign of a change towards something more typical into May.

Posted

I can see a cheeky 15 degrees popping up in my weather app towards day ten.

That would be exciting in early February 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The next 2 weeks will be dull, wet with at best average temperatures.

Screenshot_20240423_185537_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1cb64d410d67817be696b64fc781425d.jpg

What will it take to actually get a dry and sunny month now, short of flying to the Med?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
1 minute ago, B87 said:

What will it take to actually get a dry and sunny month now, short of flying to the Med?

Patience.

12 minutes ago, Azazel said:

That would be exciting in early February

Well, more like annoyingly springlike. I don't want to see anything remotely warm until March.

Posted

B87 Your not getting the point at all, i refer to your point of if the grass isn't burnt and brown than there's for some unfathomable reason been to much rain!

Posted

markyo Well if the only times it didnt happen were in 2007 and 2008, which were both wet, dull and mostly devoid of anything remotely summer-like, then it is generally true. Even 2011, 2012 and 2015 had dried out grass.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Even 2011, 2012 and 2015 had dried out grass

I seriously doubt that. 2011 maybe in June, but the other two?

Edited by Blessed Weather
Unnecessary comments removed.
  • Like 1

Posted

CryoraptorA303 Just because it doesn't happen every summer in Kent, doesn't mean that isn't the case for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Catbrainz I'd probably nudge it up to 5/10, but maybe that's just down to my relief at finally having some time (eg this weekend just gone) without grey wet gloom being the default! It's by no means been a classic April, but I don't have a huge problem with a mixed month at this time of year. That said, I would like a properly dry, sunny month now - ideally warm too, but dry and sunny are more important to me. We've waited far too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

B87 It didn't happen every summer in East London either. The only time in memory I remember it there is 2006.

Again, I believe either selective memory or conflation of a few patches of sad grass and maturing grasses in high summer and burnt out lawns from excessive heat and aridity is happening here.

Edited by CryoraptorA303

Posted

B87 I'm not following your thread of though at all mate, you said if the grass is not totally dead and burnt then there has been to much rain, a normal UK summer has only short periods of dry growth, a normal summer doesn't include to much rain. 

Posted

markyo I meant originally that after this historic 18 month spell of rain, nothing short of a 2018 or 2022 repeat will be acceptable for this summer now.

Usually I'd be happy with something like 1996, 2001 or 2005. Now I want the complete opposite of what we have had since July.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted

Arctic Hare Thanks for the reminder that the grating pessimism going around is only being shared by a few here and not the majority at all.

Posted

raz.org.rain They keep saying that. I'm old enough to remember when they said that it would turn warmer from the 20th April. Look how right they were lmao

• Like 1

Posted

B87 There is really no reason why we should swing to the opposite extreme. An overall dry, settled summer with plenty of warm, sunny spells and no excessive periods of overcast weather followed by a dry autumn is enough. An extreme swing to desperately dry and hot would be incredibly damaging to nature after enduring an 18 month wet spell. There would not be enough time given to adapt to extremely dry and hot conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

CryoraptorA303

I suggest you read the title of the thread you're in. 🤦‍♂️

Anyway...

Not a bad day here. 3.5 hours of sunshine and a temp of 14.6°C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

B87 So the record breaking September has slipped your mind?😉

Mapantz ?

Posted

CryoraptorA303 I disagree with this because unless you like mild(ish) and absolutely sodden, very few people have enjoyed the last 8 months. Warmies and Coldies alike. I would argue you are in the minority for finding something positive in the absolute ghastly period of weather we find ourselves in. 

• Like 2