Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

ps2png-worker-commands-78fb8c5f97-jpsrj-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-649zDY.thumb.png.41793ac11eef6afc46cd6a114b73c2fa.png

Zonal winds look really good. 

• Like 5

Posted

Evening all 🙂

It would sometimes be nice, if boring, if all the charts said the same at T+168 and could all verify.

That may happen one day but not yet.

Quite apart from Thursday and Friday's drama (on which I'll leave others to muse though the UKM chart did cause even Mr Stodge, here in lowland East London, to raise an eyebrow), what we need I suspect is for the heights building to the north west behind the LP to move through cleanly and quickly into Scandinavia and not linger round the British Isles. If that happens, we'll get the nice Scandinavian HP we se eon GEM and JMA but both GFS OP and ECM are messier to say the least.

Plenty of angst and anguish to get through in the next 48-72 hours I suspect.

• Like 3

Posted

AO-

In Holland you was always going to be on the milder sector of air Thursday to Saturday.

Also look at the long term outlook on those essembles, they are heading in the right direction which is colder.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

CoventryWeather Yes, bit of a bounce back on the SSW chances since yesterday.  GEFS 12z have 48% going for a SSW.

Blocking signal remains strong on the ECM 46.  The progression of the MJO, according to the actual data (grey line), has been progressing round smoothly for weeks as it now tiptoes into phase 8.  Once again, the model predicts a drunkards walk going forward, but then it’s done that every day there are charts still available for.

IMG_8682.thumb.png.f8866b2b3cc623d88a04117f49a1083f.png

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

As for the drama kings and Queens of winter synoptics,  it does look like a wet and windy spell ,by late week ,next weekend ,with snow on high ground in the North , by day ten ,musings of high pressure settling down across the nation...

h850t850eu-31.webp

h850t850eu-30.webp

ecmt850-26.webp

ecmt850.240-2.png

• Like 2

Posted

WYorksWeather Now that's what you call a measured and informative post, versus the ones that seem to delight in telling us we're getting cold rain and adding laughing emojis. Top post WYW 👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

stodge very true Stodge.

The best snow I've ever seen. Feb 1978 was from a short fetch southeasternly from a frigid continent.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, stodge said:

Just thought I'd pick up on this old chestnut. The saying "as the days get longer, the cold gets stronger" isn't entirely false.

As winter goes on, the sources of cold air (north and east) get progressively colder and for the far north and north east, it's still dark most of the time so not much to warm the air. Thus, an early December easterly often has modest 850s while by late February we can still see -20 850s and as you rightly say, the sea can be at its coldest.

MY cold nirvana is a SE'ly from a frigid and snowbound continent with the minimum fetch across the Channel - tonight's 12Z JMA at T+264 is nearly there but note the initial cold is often mixed out before the real cold arrives so it's often a waiting game to get the synoptics right before the real cold arrives.

Yep, definitely not trying to say at all that a further cold and snowy spell is impossible, and of course this is most obvious at the other end of the year in summer - most of our hottest days of the year are between mid-July and early August.

Definitely more chances to go, and winter is not over. To prove the point about SSTs, I'm not calling time on winter until this day 0 SST chart:

image.thumb.png.2171aa82a1bc6a27bb8874b3ca737690.png

Is as cold or colder than this day 15 chart:

image.thumb.png.023aacdb6b3a6768e87d20a5bbb638be.png

Based on the SSTs, a direct NE to ENE would be good as well - SSTs are only from 4-6C off the coast of Norway.

In short, I think we're saying the same thing here - a -5C 850hPa in mid-February won't be as cold at the surface as a -5C 850hPa in mid-January, but an identical synoptic might well give a lower 850hPa in mid-February, and hence the overall chance of cold doesn't begin to decline significantly until mid-February onwards.

I am wary though of some already starting to turn their attention to the second half of the month. Once you get to that point, it's not that winter is over, but the bar you have to climb increases. Especially for 'proper snow', which for me, means at least a few centimetre, staying on the ground for at least 24 hours without turning to slush.

Again, it's like looking for a major heatwave in the second half of August. It can happen, it breaks no laws of physics, and sometimes it does happen. But if you've not had a day over 35C (probably the recent average summer absolute max), you wouldn't put money on it with two weeks of summer left plus the first couple of weeks of September. Similarly, if we've not had a significant dumping of snow, I'm not betting on getting one in the second half of February or into early March.

Hence, I do think next week's chase is quite important - it's the last one before we start to enter last chance saloon territory. If next week goes wrong, the next significant attempt at a snow event has to land, or it's game over, see you next year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Harsh Climate

Not compared to this morning. It takes about two or three days longer to get the cold in. If anything it is not an improvement. 

• Like 1

Posted

No Move south from the icon, but it didn’t blow up the low this time!! If the GFS doesn’t move it south this run then I hold very little hope for the over nighters - stranger things have happened though!! 

IMG_2945.png

IMG_2946.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

It was quite expected that tonight's ecm would not be as good as this mornings. As IDO pointed out this morning it was an outlier.

That doesn't mean of course that this mornings ecm outcome might not be the actual outcome but simply that it was unlikely to be repeated tonight. 

Ideally you want  the jump south on this mornings ecm to happen at 48 hours rather than 96..

Posted

I guess by Friday the shift south is a little more noticeable- 100 miles or so 

IMG_2947.png

IMG_2948.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Ali1977 had some hope after this mornings runs but it’s gone the wrong way on the 12z s . I’m more interested what happens after anyway with the height rises to the NW 🙏🏻. Ukv still has some snow down south Friday tho . Probably a mixed slush fest tho 😞

626771BB-0B0E-4F0B-B171-CC5CDC41B722.png

6CCDB46B-7BF1-4E52-98CD-067A7D839534.png

7A7BF5EE-11C8-47C1-BC0C-FFADA547CC50.png

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Ali1977 did move south throughout the whole run - guess this will occur for the next few days. GFS is likely to start the backtrack now towards something of a mid solution. 

Plus people keep saying this mornings ECM was an outlier - it wasn't. Clearly supported by it's ensembles. Also somewhat supported by this evening's UKMO run.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, stodge said:

The saying "as the days get longer, the cold gets stronger" isn't entirely false

Indeed, that's why Easter's  are more commonly known for being White than Christmas. ......😨😨😨

• Like 1

Posted

GFS a little better 

IMG_2949.png

IMG_2950.png

IMG_2951.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted

Tim Bland Arome and Arpege ensembles also keen on the idea, what are others thoughts on this - is it possible as the cold air undercuts or unlikely?