Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

northwestsnow yea, sadly not unusual as the PV weakens in spring. Even with that chart the air source over the UK is circulating round the low and now a direct easterly. A look at the ens, a few still living the dream, including the op, but the vast majority following the average line and creeping into possitive values. As Met4cast said yesterday, unlikely to see anything particular cold or warm over the next 2 weeks.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e.jpeg-2.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Ecm watered down this morning...gem isn't having any of it,and the ukmo not quite so good!it's going to be one he'll of a struggle to get a decent nationwide cold spell..from now on!..this chart somes up the uk weather..quite often close but rarely the full show!..I think the most likely option is a few colder days 5/6c..but a cold and snowy spell..I would give only 10/20% chance

ECH1-240.gif

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Adding
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

KTtom

The trend, if anything, for the south is less cold 850s and milder 2m temps. In fact, after this brief colder few days the 2m max mean in London stays above 10c until D16 with some members going close to 15c. If we want to pluck a few cold runs out, we should also look at the milder ones. Hence why we use the mean:

image.thumb.png.047cf44c9f4681f802a8cc3b5e2411d5.png

There is a clear rise in temps over the next 16 days. We need to see the trend of moving in the opposite direction to be hopeful of a cold finish to winter. 

Gem to D10 and even less keen on any significant UK cold:

animmfc9.gif

We remain on the cold side of the jet but the NH pattern needs a little nudge as any harsh cold is falling to our east and west^^^.

EC to D9:

animtkk4.gif

I do not post D10 EC charts for obvious reasons!

So it looks like decreasing chances for the UK to see any of the cold spilling from the Arctic without a reset from tropical forcing or the models to change the current predicted pattern.

• Like 4

Posted

A few have mentioned it..but apart from a few cold op runs..the ens across the major models..have never really fancied something cold!

Spelling
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

As usual for the past few months the road to getting any genuine deep cold to the UK is proving a long and tortuous one.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
9 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

Note the new (to Meteociel) addition here - the ECMWF machine learning model, AIFS.

Good spot!  It will be much easier to bring this into the discussion more if it is in the same format and with the same plotting variables as all the others!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted

I somewhat agree with @Met4Cast in terms of a flattening out pattern around mid month, and it would to some extent tie in with my thoughts of higher pressure moving south over UK around same time that I’ve mentioned previously which would ofcourse be a precursor to the Atlantic lows return along with milder air and subsequent unsettled weather attempting to cover all areas with some form of “flattening” of the pattern over our part of the Globe, with declining blocking from high latitudes around mid month, though perhaps slightly different thinking with me thereafter in that some form of high pressure may retreat to Greenland also and that would still result in the synoptic likelihood I have mentioned previously with two potential opposite transitions, a colder pattern trying to develop from our northeast but an equally very mild pattern trying to establish further south, note with heat beginning to really build over Northern Africa by this point.. , low pressures are aiming right for southern UK by this point pretty sure of that past mid month, sadly that means further potential rainfall issues, possibly making March somewhat wetter than normal for the south even with the drier few day’s expected around mid month, but not as much as February, northern areas may see a drier than average March with a more wintry period for a time past mid month before a milder and wetter regime returns here too by months end and declining Greenland heights .we’ll see 🤔

Showing these anomaly charts below because they highlight the north/south split very well, especially synoptically. The unsettled conditions returning to the south only for a short time from 8th anyway, before the drier conditions return for a time here. We’ll have to see if these charts below show a similar or same synoptic pattern as I’ve described for mid month onwards above when the time in question is properly within the charts time scale. But I would say it’s a reasonable bet they will.

IMG_3323.thumb.gif.0aa6dc8a19e5f60f57433489a3ad8f6d.gif

IMG_3324.thumb.gif.b12bab8b5320807c5969449e9ce9e9f9.gif

@Mike Poole the Ecmwf ai model has also been introduced on the charts I use, couple of them I posted yesterday, was a pleasant surprise to see those appear and with the same variables as all the others to look at. 🙂

Edited by Jordan S
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Morning all,ECM/GFS /UKMO/ICON all showing some very cold air in Europe in fantasy island all about the positioning and orientation of the Scandinavian high if it starts to filter over the UK.Nothing clear cut as yet,interesting to say the least one thing certain no spring like weather on show as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

I'm personally not buying the colder runs at the moment, until we start seeing some sort of consistency from the Operationals and some movement from the ensembles, then average seems the way to go.

Continuation of a wetter theme, although perhaps not as much as recently. Anything cold seems limited to the north east, the south most likely keeping somewhat milder with a southeasterly. A fairly N-S split but nothing really unusual for early spring.

On regards for the stratosphere reversal, most likely to come into play past mid month. I'd say this is possibly when colder synoptics will be more likely, especially in a northerly more than an easterly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Lukesluckybunch   looking at some of the models this morning, I think your being rather generous with the prediction of 1020% chance of a nation wide called snowy spell I would go as far as giving it five or 6% chance thank goodness this crap of a winter is over so much potential such a failure that’s the story of winter, 20,23, 20,24 for the southern half of the country anyway 😠😡😖😒🤬😬

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Interesting charts starting crop up now milder wetter to start to march . later part week 2 of march  Im  looking around 16th onwards turning much colder from east with wintery weather I’m thinking models are being to early bring in the colder weather from east. My forecast don’t shoot me down please 😊

IMG_0862.png

Edited by Scandinavian High.
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

looking at some of the models this morning, I think your being rather generous with the prediction of 1020% chance of a nation wide called snowy spell I would go as far as giving it five or 6% chance thank goodness this crap of a winter is over so much potential such a failure that’s the story of winter, 20,23, 20,24 for the southern half of the country anyway 😠😡😖😒🤬😬

Well that percentage being the absolute max..I'm talking a nationwide cold spell 4/5 days with temps 2-4c!..yes I agree the models have been all over the place..we have learnt not too trust even the best models at 4/5 day range!!

23 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

The 06z isn’t any better. 

It's the same old story..getting pushed back further and further!I will give it too day 7/8 see what happens..it's looking like this run wants to push all the cold north!dire..it's an absolute horror show by 228! 14/15c in South!

Adding
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Chesil View At this rate any cold leaving the Russian Arctic next week  will arrive just in time for Christmas!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
On 26/02/2024 at 10:48, Met4Cast said:

With the recent sharp fall and rise in AAM tendency it does seem plausible that we'll see the jet stream encountering some road blocks in the form of high pressure, probably to the NE of the UK (though as mentioned previously, the high probably too far NE to influence the UK much) before the pattern flattens out again by the end of week 1 into week 2 of March.

Going back to this post from the 26th February we are now seeing this broader evolution play out within modelling. 

High pressure forming across Scandinavia but increasing support that it’ll be too far NE to really drive energy SEwards & advect cold west across Europe. 

The pattern flattening out is now well advertised. 

IMG_5536.thumb.png.92939fb0ab6b5195a35048ef35dc093f.png

I think it’s probably fairly safe to rule out any cold weather through the first half of March & probably beyond now. 

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
13 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, out to Sat 9th (day 7)

Note the new (to Meteociel) addition here - the ECMWF machine learning model, AIFS.

animwhy4.gifanimdka0.gifanimwld0.gif
animzbn8.gifanimzbi3.gifanimxgv7.gif

12z ensemble means, out to Sun 17th (day 15)

It's been 36 hours since I posted the outputs, and what I see now is that we're left with the impression from the ensemble means that the high-latitude block will collapse from about 13th March - I think @Met4Cast has been predicting that. However, the subsequent signal is for a mid-latitude block, so all is not lost in the dryness stakes.

animxwc3.gifanimnxr9.gifanimejg6.gif

0z/6z deterministic runs, out to Sun 10th (day 7)

Oh pleeease let that low go under and not blow up, I so want to stay dry...

animwfs1.gifanimctb3.gifanimgts5.gif
animyhf8.gifanimweg8.gifanimqrx6.gif
animagz9.gifanimabn2.gifanimhwb4.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, out to Mon 18th (day 15)

These ensemble means suggest that the low won't go under, and that the pattern will flatten out from 13th March (or earlier on the GEFS), with less sign of residual mid-latitude blocking than yesterday. Rats.

animawy7.gifanimacv8.gifanimznt3.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Just to add some further interest to this thread. The new EC weather model which incorporates AI machine learning is now available on WZ. Will be interesting to see how it performs!:

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Wetterkarten AIFS Europe 06Z

It's on the colder side of things for its latest run.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Derecho I've just noticed from the blurb on both Meteociel and Wetterzentrale that the AIFS runs out to 360 hours on all of 0z, 6z, 12z, 18z. So now the GFS won't be the only "pub run" available for us to view on these sites!

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Derecho said:

Will be interesting to see how it performs!

The evidence so far available... ("IFS" is regular ECM)

AIFS day 10 is about as good as classic ECM day 9

20240303135005-5de23335aaab1c737decca80f39abe4a406fc608.thumb.png.e4c515bbd6af426f964de4b3c03730a0.png

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/plwww_3m_fc_aimodels_wp_mean?area=Europe&parameter=Geopotential 500hPa&score=Anomaly correlation

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 2

Posted

bluearmy I'm hoping the AIFS runs don't take quite as long to be published as the ECM ensemble/control runs.