Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 - A Post Mortem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

damianslaw I think in terms of meteorological Winter, we are done. Nothing substantial is going to develop over the next two weeks, or unlikely to do so. 

A SSW ofcourse is the wild card that could provide something into March, but really then we're into Spring, and whilst March can sometimes pack a punch with cold weather, many are looking for warmth by then and also due to the strengthening sun, we increasingly need something exceptional to deliver at that time of year. 

Posted

danm I guess it depends on what people's expectations are when it comes to cold wintry weather. I agree if after ice days and days of snow cover with mean temps 0 degrees or below, by March such weather is certainly statistically not likely more so further south, unless an exceptional synoptic i.e. 2018. However a few days of maxima in the 0-5 degree mark, run of sub freezing nights and a sprinkle or two of snow is certainly possible first half of March granted more so further north you go. Yes a low bar in context of what many may class as cold and wintry, but many would take it after a snowless winter further south.

Last March gave us our most snow of the season, yes the sun went to work on it by lunchtime but we had a few very snowy days. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

damianslaw agree, but I think many are looking for a proper cold spell with snow that sticks for at least a couple of days. That is going to be hard to come by now, barring a BFTE type big freeze. 

Posted

danm Yes I would agree for majority of population south of a line Preston to the Humber, but in the north unless the sun is abundant and only a few cms, then a good cover can stick easily for a couple of days.. indeed late March 13 proved this. Its important to draw the difference between north and south half of UK especially in March when there are often marked temp differentials. My location I do have a north half UK perspective in the minority I guess..

• Like 1

Posted

damianslaw perhaps its the lack of easterlies in recent years, but it feels to me like the difference in temperatures between north and south has grown. Maybe its just recently bias because all through this autumn and winter it has often been stark. 

Posted

Perhaps this winter will do a summer 2023 on us, bookended by cold instead of warmth i.e. the core summer period late June to late Aug was predominantly cool and unsettled and un summer like though temps were average following the heat at the start of June and back with vengence by September. Can't really compare the cold in late Nov/ very start Dec on same degree of divergence from norm compared to heat of June 2023.. but some synergies but only if first half of March is cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

At the moment I can't see a February 2019 repeat happening this month, well very unlikely. We would need a more amplfiied jet and heights setting up directly to our east as below.

CFSR_1_2019022312_1.thumb.png.6fb4ffacfe64a6d36cbac1b45c3b58db.png

More info on it if anyone's interested: https://simonleewx.com/2019/02/28/a-winter-heatwave-in-a-warming-world/

Current output is as flat as a pancake for the next 10-14 days, mild to average and often wet:

GFSOPEU12_198_1.thumb.png.8d2036d29de12441ebbb98fe6843d6b0.png

Modelling may change of course, but not today. Anyone's guess what March will bring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Feb  can be a very depressing time of Yr when the preceeding months have been as poor as they have been for coldies and little on offer for the rest of the month . Another winter down the drain.  Its like being stuck in limbo now and waiting for spring to arrive. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

RJBingham

But not before it had brought me this.

IMG_20190201_084612.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

damianslaw I know what you're getting at, much March 2013 probably isn't the best illustration. We had snow cover for about a week during that spell, even down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

sundog Its the same over most Continental Europe as well. A mild fest in the extreme this Feb so far in Austria. Possibly heading for the warmest Feb ever. Gut wrenching charts continue for lovers of cold winter weather. So sad. Seems the longer term drivers have failed to deliver ( so far ) but hey who wants cold in March and April . I bet your bottom dollar it will snow on April Fools Day ! Think I need a pint 🍻 and put my slush boots on . Drip .. Drip..

C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Well this Winter certainly happened, if you can call it that.

The thing is even if you want your snow fix now there’s no point booking a ski holiday in advance as you never not what rotten pattern you’ll be stuck in. For my snow fix I’d like it to be actually snowing and not a mild slush fest underfoot. Best to just book it the week it looks good but not many have that luxury including myself. 

Posted

Met4Cast A very good post, any further surmisings on the reason for last week's low pressure to behave why it did after many models were expecting it to go east not north west!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
7 minutes ago, Singularity said:

There is a very serious implication to this - more than just the UK experiencing relatively little cold, snowy weather: The pattern of anomalously dry, warm weather across Iberia is able to self-perpetuate to a high degree. It may well be that a strong cooling of the aforementioned areas of the N. Atlantic is required for a sustained escape from this pattern. Trouble is, when exiting an El Niño event as we're expected to this spring, there's usually a warming effect on those areas. This is giving me a horrible feeling that the hot season could be absolutely brutal down there this yea

It could very well impact our own shores too, I really wouldn't be at all surprised if we see atmospheric blocking that's favourable to dragging heat into NW Europe. Potentially a very hot and dry summer ahead.

Posted

raz.org.rain it was meant to happen last Summer, remember?😉

Plume after plume were forecasted; instead post-June we had a July that was dire, an August that was not quite as bad as July, and late August/early Sept the sun and warmth eventually returned for a week or so.

Last Summer, post-the June spell, was a complete bust, as far as expectations and forecasts were concerned.

• Like 1