Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - May 2024

Posted

Some showers close to my location wonder if I’ll catch anything from a distance 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Thick stratiform cloud + high saturation. Means today is significantly under what was modelled by the UKV which rarely does well forecasting trailing cloud regions. 

• Like 4

Posted

So might be an early start, forecast suggesting thunderstorms around 7am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

A lot of people on Facebook seem to think that this lot is going to slam into S UK later. Good luck to them with that 🤨

Screenshot_20240502-165858.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Hate to dampen ppls hopes in the south but it’s highly likely we won’t have storms this evening. Don’t waste time watching the continent it’s not gonna happen.

• Like 2

Posted

The milky skies and clouds are breaking up and the sun and blue skies are returning. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing for development. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Invisible through the milkyness there are some strengthening cells approaching North Birmingham which will be worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 2

Posted

Doesn’t look good tonight to much cloud around I think 

Posted

Looks like I might be up until 4am with there being a risk despite, thankfully not in work till 2pm

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

For the knowledgeable here, had last night’s storm produced a “superbolt” (either in the U.K. or France) would we know? I assume scientists monitor storms and there’d be data, somewhere?

• Like 1

Posted

Purplepixii There was definitely one positive strike that I saw from my location away from the main core and I suspect could have been the one that hit the nursing home at Elmer given it was in that general area directly south, there was a Sprite less than 1/2 a second before the entire sky in that direction completely lit-up whilst every-other lightning flash I saw mostly required averted vision to see.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Storms move into the Midlands and Wales after lightning causes damage in southern England overnight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

really glad I decided to ignore the storm warning this time and go out for a picnic, was a lovely day. As I said earlier I treat any storm warning up here now as basically meaning it will be a gorgeous day and so it again proved today, warm and sunny all day. They are always wrong. Very hard to take seriously when they are always so far off the mark. I think I counted 48 occasions last summer where we had thunderstorm warnings alongside potential flash flooding and didnt have a single drop of rain each time lol. Not complaining though, warmest day of the year today. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Rush2019 Sadly I feel it was not enough to trigger anything today. 😔

It tried… But hey… Something just didn’t feel quite right. Hey ho… 

Finger crossed that we’ll have more luck as the summer progresses. 😊🤞🏻

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Right folks… That’s it… I’m throwing in the towel on this one today. 😔

Although so much seemed right for something to go bang today… There was always so much that didn’t seem right as well. But hey… The storm season is still young. 🌩️⛈️😊

So before I say over and out for the day… I’ll leave you all with latest rainfall radar and lightning strikes map… Hopefully they’ll be of some use to someone else this evening. 👍🏻

Over and out from Storm Starved in North East Wales. 

IMG_2064.png

IMG_2063.png

• Like 3

Posted

Convective Outlook⚡️ 

A new Theta-E centre of advection glides NW towards the east and perhaps more focused towards the NE of England, perhaps into Southern Scotland. Early to mid morning showers and storms should start forming by the coast, perhaps clustering up for a time.

With 400+ J/KG of MLCAPE and modest lift there is risk for some sporadic to semi frequent lightning. However saturation is high. Lightning risk is likely to be limited but alternatively storms could be quite tall, up to around 9km. So it's a balance.

Hail has a small chance of forming because the height of freezing is still relatively low. Weak CAPE and poor shearing limit it to small sized haul though.

Main risk is semi-frequent lightning mid to late morning in the slight risk movimg NW and weakening into the afternoon with more trailing behind but weaker further. Some heavy rainfall possible within the stronger storms in the NE as well. Clustering risks a small chance of flash flooding in bigger clusters.

20240502_195046.thumb.jpg.bcfcc4bf14d18fdfd803ba952f8ef189.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Good heavens - after abandoning the Reigate area, I might yet be in for a little luck in Durham!  That will be some mild compensation at least for my self-induced bust!  

Thanks for cheering me up @Eagle Eye!

• Like 1

Posted

StormLoser

Energy tomorrow mid morning could be in excess of 1000 J/KG of MUCAPE. It's another weird scenario because of the showers and storms coming from the SE moving NW but sometimes those are the best. 

xx_model-en-340-0_modukmo2km_2024050212_17_18_654.thumb.png.c5c96af3a1a1de2823251d69cc1aa260.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
Posted (edited)

What was the rainfall totals for areas that got hit by the torrential rain and thunderstorms? Overnight we clocked up 28.2mm of rainfall and unless I slept through it we didn’t get a thunderstorm just heavy rain 

Edited by TwisterGirl81