Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Rita Pt3

Posted
Not being funny, but some guy a minute ago say his cockerill flew over his roof? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that too!!! :)

Also some elderly guy said the storm had passed and it was all calm and he was going outside at which point the guy on the raio said that was the eye and to NOT go outside :)

Posted
CNN say it's nearing cat2 but they've not actually said it's been down-graded yet

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a load of hype for nothing.... :)

I thought Rita was going to be as impressive as Katrina with the way it developed so quickly. Now...it's come onshore as a damp squib....

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hardly nothing.

have you seen any of the reports of damage coming in?

I doubt the people who have lost property etc consider it nothing.

Posted

I thought Rita was going to be as impressive as Katrina with the way it developed so quickly. Now...it's come onshore as a damp squib....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Persian, hear what you say but I actually feel RITA was as impressive as Katrina but came ashore later and hit high pressure

I also think people in NO must feeling really angry the way Bush was all over this Hurricane and the way they evacuated so quickly and yet with NO it seems they were caught napping

Also with NO alot of people decided to stay saying Katrina was mostly hype and paid the consequences.

This time people heeded the warnings

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Durham had a near gale force 7, i suspect that would be hyped up!

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Remember as well guys that it's still dark overthere so reports of storm damage wont be known for a few hours yet!

If I'm not mistaken the devastation that Katrina caused wasn't realised for a day or so

Let's be thankful if there is no damage

Posted
Where is everyone?

I remember with Katrina..there was always at least 20-30 people on this thread

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Katrina happened in the week so I think a lot of people logged on whilst at work. I think a lot of people have other priorities at the weekend :)

Posted

The other thing is timing I think, Rita has made landfall in the middle of our night, also, with N.O. many were watching as it wasnt known if the levee's would hold. I think if Rita was hitting closer to Houston more would be here.

Posted

What I want to know is why I had the Louisiana town name Lafayette on my mind for most of the week before this.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

With Rita rapidly losing intensity now as it heads in land, the main problem no looks to be flooding as it looks like Rita's forward motion will slow as it encounters high pressure to the NE and cooler drier air sinking south, and that it may stall across northeastern Texas or northwestern Louisiana by tomorrow causing severe flooding for several days across the deep South.

Winds don't look particularly severe now across NE TX and W LA looking at recent current conditions in that area:

Houston TX at 6:35 CDT

Wind Speed: 37 mph

Wind Direction: NW

Wind Gusts: 51 mph

Beaumont TX at 6.38 CDT

Wind Speed: 44 mph

Wind Direction: WSW

Wind Gusts: 59 mph

Posted

Hi I think most of us have been clued to Fox news, i know i have, ive been up since about 4.30 watching the eye come in. its starting to get light there now so will have a better idear of damage ect. Dont forget they havent had the storm surge yet. And have tornado warrnings out for much of the area. Still cat 2/3.

lol kaz xx

Posted
Do u have actual evidence of this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi PP

The problem is they cant fly their reconnasance aircraft just yet, but the hurricane is in decline and looking at the current sattelite and radar images youd have to say its no longer category three as the media have for a few hours now been making reference to :)

Posted
Hi PP

The problem is they cant fly their reconnasance aircraft just yet, but the hurricane is in decline and looking at the current sattelite and radar images youd have to say its no longer category three as the media have for a few hours now been making reference to :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The hurricaine has just been down-graded to a cat2 but was definitely still being reported as cat3 when you posted earlier :)

Posted
The hurricaine has just been down-graded to a cat2 but was definitely still being reported as cat3 when you posted earlier :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possibly flagpole, but at that stage a meteorologist from the hurricane centre was saying on SN that it wasnt a cat3 anymore. Its fuel (the warm waters of the gulf) is at this stage well and truly cut. Downgrading from here on in, its just a matter of how fast. :)

Posted
Possibly flagpole, but at that stage a meteorologist from the hurricane centre was saying on SN that it wasnt a cat3 anymore. Its fuel (the warm waters of the gulf) is at this stage well and truly cut. Downgrading from here on in, its just a matter of how fast.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well CNN were still quoting it as a cat3 up until about 15minutes ago. I am not disputing that it will continue to downgrade, that is fairly obvious.

Posted

I think the intensely dry high-pressure zone was largely responsible for reducing Rita so quickly as it got closer to landfall. Looks like those southerly wind shear estimates came true.

Posted

I see the GFDL and another models are bringing Rita back into the Gulf south of Alabama...could this be like Ivan last year, regenerating again?

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfdltc2.cgi...&hour=Animation

EDIT: MM5 takes her back to Mexico!

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/mm5fsutc2.c...&hour=Animation

Edited by Mondy