Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Rita Pt3

Posted

I think it's too late now for Rita to move back into the Gulf and strengthen....she seems to have rooted herself to southeastern Texas and it looks like it'll stall with very heavy rains and probably a Cat 1 in a few hours or so.

BTW - Thanks for the all radar links guys. Appreciate it.

For some reason Mozilla Firefox has problems with those java links...but i can play them fine in IE. I hope when Windows Vista comes out..that IE will be much more secure.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Now Cat 1

Time: 15 GMT 09/24/05

Lat: 31.0N

Lon: 94.3W

Wind(mph): 75

Pressure: 960

Storm type: Category 1 Hurricane

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Seeing some of the reports of damage on KHOU.com tv now.

Galveston Island, I think the damage to some of those buildings are more from possible tornadoes rather than just the hurricane winds itself, one building severely damaged yet surrounding buildings very little damage.

Be interesting to see the footage from the air when they get the choppers up to see if there are any tracks of severe damage.

Edited by SnowBear

Posted
I see the GFDL and another models are bringing Rita back into the Gulf south of Alabama...could this be like Ivan last year, regenerating again?

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfdltc2.cgi...&hour=Animation

EDIT: MM5 takes her back to Mexico!

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/mm5fsutc2.c...&hour=Animation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is that low near the uk and ex hurricane ?

Posted

Hurricane Rita is nowhere near the UK Pompey, it will be absorbed or dissipate long before it gets to our shores. At the moment (but not for long) it is still a Cat 1 hurricane but is weakening and falling apart quickly now it is over land.

Posted

Hi SB

I think Pompey meant was the forecast model low an ex-hurricane, not specifically Rita. :lol:

Pompey, it's just a deep depression forming (maybe, if the models are correct)! :p

Posted

You'd wonder sometimes do we overanalyse weather a bit.I mean Rita turned out to be nothing extrordinary,though still obviously quite dangerous.

I mean it's the same on here when Winter comes and we always up the ante and the speculation yet it rarely turns out anything extraordinary!

I know it's the half the fun and I'm as guilty as anybody I guess :lol:

By the way the synoptics in our own Country have definatly taken a backward step as the atlantic type weather kicks back in.Our best hope of a cold winter

was blocking,in my view,and the next month will tell a lot on how the Winter will unfold

Posted
You'd wonder sometimes do we overanalyse weather a bit.I mean Rita turned out to be nothing extrordinary,though still obviously quite dangerous.

I mean it's the same on here when Winter comes and we always up the ante and the speculation yet it rarely turns out anything extraordinary!

I know it's the half the fun and I'm as guilty as anybody I guess :lol:

By the way the synoptics in our own Country have definatly taken a backward step as the atlantic type weather kicks back in.Our best hope of a cold winter

was blocking,in my view,and the next month will tell a lot on how the Winter will unfold

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah but the thing is rita was the third most intense hurricane on record at one point, sub 900mb and awesome. we can be grateful that she lost intensity before landfall but whilst she was hurting no one in the gulf of mexico she was an exciting and marvellous icon of mother nature

Posted

There is certainly the risk of it heading towards the Gulf and re-froming again,at the least though it'll have 3 days ove rland and so that'll weaken it down to a TD by then,still if it can keep its circulation and it does reach the Gulf,it has every chance of deepening again into a minimal hurricane,and whats worsre is GFDL takes the system,by now a large rainmaker and not a lot else right clsoe to New Orelans,another flooding event there if it can hold on to its moisture like I suspect it will do.

This looks to be all thanks to a strong ridge reforming to the north of the system forcing it first eastwards and then eventually southwards according to a few models,others keep a slight weakness in the ridge and that helps the system ead out to the north-east.What do I think?

This thing needs very close watching indeed.

Posted

Well, some are expressing their disappointment with how things have turned out. But I'm more than satisfied, and as kw says, it might not be over yet!

I enjoyed the anticipation as Rita moved into the gulf, loved watching the development of a full on cat 5 in just over 48 hours, I was fascinated as she wobbled and struggled with her environment, and then I was relieved (and not too surprised) when she weakened as she reached landfall. I think she's still showing good overall structure too.

Smich

Posted
There is certainly the risk of it heading towards the Gulf and re-froming again,at the least though it'll have 3 days ove rland and so that'll weaken it down to a TD by then,still if it can keep its circulation and it does reach the Gulf,it has every chance of deepening again into a minimal hurricane,and whats worsre is GFDL takes the system,by now a large rainmaker and not a lot else right clsoe to New Orelans,another flooding event there if it can hold on to its moisture like I suspect it will do.

This looks to be all thanks to a strong ridge reforming to the north of the system forcing it first eastwards and then eventually southwards according to a few models,others keep a slight weakness in the ridge and that helps the system ead out to the north-east.What do I think?

This thing needs very close watching indeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi KW, how common is it for storms to reform like that then?

Posted

Not that often at all I believe,most times high pressure cells to the north of tropical storms just stall those systems.That occured with hurricane dennis wher eit stayed in pretty much the same place for 6 days and just fizzled out completely into nothing.

however there was Ivan last year that was forced southwards again then westwards across Florida and then into the Gulf where it re-fromed into a weak tropical storm.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Not that often at all I believe,most times high pressure cells to the north of tropical storms just stall those systems.That occured with hurricane dennis wher eit stayed in pretty much the same place for 6 days and just fizzled out completely into nothing.

however there was Ivan last year that was forced southwards again then westwards across Florida and then into the Gulf where it re-fromed into a weak tropical storm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for clearing that one up, I didnt think it was common, can understand how though with certain synoptic set ups it can happen.

Posted

Hiya Kold, good shout on the path and landfall of this one, well done :lol:

I am watching KHOU and the choppers are in the air over Galveston area, very little damage which is great news there.

Not sure if anyone has a TV news feed for Baton Rouge and Lafayette area please ?

Posted

Thanks Mondy :rolleyes:

Had that one for quite a while now, was looking more for central Louisiana area, havent heard much how they fared that way yet as most seem to be focusing on New Orleans, Galveston, Houston and the eye landfall areas..

Here's some interesting info, someone asked earlier in the week whether its recorded that 2 high Cat hurricanes have steamed through the Gulf before, well, yes they have, 2 in 1915, both Cat 4's and 6 weeks apart, one hitting Houston area, the other...New Orleans.

Source http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/23...ycle/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
If Durham had a near gale force 7, i suspect that would be hyped up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why Durham?

If we did have a force 7 gale i wont even be in area lol.

Posted
WOW - 36 hours after landfall, the NHC @ NOAA has discontinued ALL RITA warnings/alerts/observations!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They pass the advisories on to the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center

WTNT33 KWNH 252110

TCPAT3

PUBLIC ADVISORY NUMBER 33 FOR TROPICAL DEPRESSION RITA

NWS...HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER...CAMP SPRINGS MD

4 PM CDT SUN SEP 25 2005

...TROPICAL DEPRESSION RITA MOVING THROUGH THE MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY...SEVERE WEATHER AND FLOOD THREAT REMAIN...

A TORNADO WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS OF MISSISSIPPI...

...TENNESSEE AND ALABAMA.

FLOOD AND FLASH FLOOD WATCHES ARE IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS OF

MISSOURI...TENNESSEE...MISSISSIPPI... LOUISIANA...ALABAMA...AND

THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE.

A RIVER FLOOD WARNINGS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR THE NECHES...

ANGELINA...BIG BLACK...CALCASIEU... AND MERMENTAU RIVERS.

AT 4 PM CDT...21Z...TROPICAL DEPRESSION RITA WAS LOCATED NEAR

LATITUDE 36.6 NORTH...AND LONGITUDE 91.2 WEST...OR 55 MILES

NORTHEAST OF BATESVILLE ARKANSAS.

THE DEPRESSION IS NOW MOVING NORTH NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH. THIS

GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE ENSUING 24 HR

PERIOD. RITA IS FORECAST TO WEAKEN AS SHE CONTINUES HER JOURNEY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH. THE

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE WAS 999 MB...OR 29.50 INCHES.

SELECTED STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS IN INCHES THROUGH 2 PM CDT

...LOUISIANA...

LAPLACE 12.4 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

BUNKIE 10.0 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

BATON ROUGE 9.4 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

JENNINGS 9.4 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

LAFAYETTE 8.6 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

PORT VINCENT 8.1 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

MILLERVILLE 8.1 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

INNISWOLD 7.3 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

FORT POLK 6.7 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

BOSSIER CITY 6.3 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

NEW ORLEANS NORL1 6.3 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

EUNICE 6.1 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

SHREVEPORT 5.5 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

...TEXAS...

BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR 8.6 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

EVADALE 6.3 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

CLEVELAND 3.8 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

LONGVIEW 3.3 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

LIVINGSTON 2.3 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

...ARKANSAS...

STUTTGART 5.7 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

MOUNT IDA 4.9 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

HOT SPRINGS 4.7 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

TEXARKANA 4.0 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

BATESVILLE 3.4

EL DORADO 3.2 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

LITTLE ROCK 3.0 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

MONTICELLO 2.6 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

DEQUEEN 2.5 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

JONESBORO 1.2

...MISSISSIPPI...

GREENVILLE 6.6 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

GREENWOOD 2.6

TUPELO 1.9

JACKSON 1.1 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

...ALABAMA...

EVERGREEN 3.5 THROUGH 7 AM SEPT 25

MAXIMUM RAINFALL AMOUNTS FROM TROPICAL DEPRESSION RITA ARE

EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 2 TO 3 INCHES OVER PARTS OF THE LOWER OHIO

AND MISSISSIPPI VALLEYS TONIGHT.

REPEATING THE 4 PM CDT POSITION...36.6 NORTH...91.2 WEST...

MOVEMENT TOWARD NORTH NORTHEAST NEAR 20 MPH...MAXIMUM SUSTAINED

WINDS AT 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH...MINIMUM CENTRAL

PRESSURE...999 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL

PREDICTION CENTER AT 10 PM CDT. PLEASE REFER TO YOUR LOCAL

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THIS

STORM.

SZATANEK/BANN

Rita to hit the UK? The UKM model suggests. Run it through from 0 hours to 132 hours.. http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/ukmtc2.cgi?...&hour=Animation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was looking at that the other day, something to keep an eye on I think. :)