Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Rita Pt3

Posted
Will probably be around teatime our time before the extent of the damage is clear. Especially with flooding as you have to wait for water levels to peak, flood damage will be quite severe in many places. Anyone know how well N.O is holding up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Report on CNN said NO holding up well. The West leveehas not been breached and the rain is less than they feared so finger crossed :D

Reports from Lake Charles are not sounding so good tho' unconfirmed reports of severe damage.

Edited by flagpole

Posted
Report on CNN said NO holding up well. The West leveehas not been breached and the rain is less than they feared so finger crossed :D

Reports from Lake Charles are not sounding so good tho' unconfirmed reports of severe damage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats good then that NO may have been spared, its not even imaginable what kind of damage would occur if something like this happened here.

Posted

Pinball Wizard is right. It's really only once the storm has passed that you know the extent of the damage. The media here is always warning people that the most dangerous time during a typhoon is when the winds seem to be easing - you have weakened buildings and trees and water levels are often approaching their highest.

Posted

I don’t understand this concern about NO, NO is already damaged, IMO its better to have damage were it already exists than in a new area.

In reality I would have thought that Rita is a disaster because it has hit an area largely untouched by Katrina, far better for Rita to have hit NO head on surely.

Posted
Pinball Wizard is right. It's really only once the storm has passed that you know the extent of the damage. The media here is always warning people that the most dangerous time during a typhoon is when the winds seem to be easing - you have weakened buildings and trees and water levels are often approaching their highest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, it was the same with Katrina. People thought NO had got lucky but it was after she had passed that Katrina pushed the water down the lake and into the city. Guess we have to wait and see and hope for the best.

Posted
Yep, it was the same with Katrina. People thought NO had got lucky but it was after she had passed that Katrina pushed the water down the lake and into the city. Guess we have to wait and see and hope for the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where precisely in texas did she make landfall. number of miles from a town eg port arthur, galveston, huston.

Posted

Agree with you there Adi, they were saying on a US news feed just after Katrina what if another strike, they pretty much shrugged and said so what, dont matter as damage is already done. Now, we have almost all the gulf coast from Florida through to SE Texas damaged in some form or another. A huge coast line and land area.

Posted

But NO wasn't completely destroyed by Katrina.

If it had been I could understand people saying 'so what' but there is much that is salvagable and areas which sustained minimal damage. Any further damage would exacerbate an already dreadful situation. I can't help but feel bad that the city is suffering again.

Posted

Looks like Mondy was still half a sleep this morning.

5-6am landfall, he said!! Oh well!

Any word on storm surge yet?

EDIT:

KLVI radio in Beaumont has some sort of internet feed... it's not great, but it seems to be the internet feed nearest to the center of the storm.... right now, people are calling in with their observations and damage reports....

http://www.klvi.com/main.html

Edited by Mondy

Posted

flagpole, they were saying yesterday as the leveee broke, on...cant remember which news feed, think I had about 10 running at one point! the Ninth Ward is almost 100% destroyed from Katrina, what they didnt want was new breaks elsewhere to create new damage in the parts of the city which didnt get damaged by Katrina.

Posted

..STORM SURGE FLOOD AND STORM TIDE IMPACTS JEFFERSON AND ORANGE COUNTIES AND CAMERON AND CALCASIEU PARISHES...MAXIMUM STORM SURGES OF 15 TO 20 FEET LIKELY ONGOING IN AREAS ALONG THE COAST. THIS STORM SURGE WILL ALSO LIKELY COME OVER THE TOP OF THE SEA WALL AROUND PORT ARTHUR TEXAS.

LOW LYING AREAS IN BEAUMONT AND LAKE CHARLES COULD SEE UP TO 4 FEET OF STORM SURGE ESPECIALLY NEAR RIVERS AND BAYOUS AND THEIR TRIBUTARIES.

VERMILION PARISH...MAXIMUM STORM SURGE BETWEEN 10 AND 15 FEET IS LIKELY ONGOING. THIS WILL FLOOD LAND AROUND PECAN ISLAND AND INTRACOASTAL CITY...WHERE SURGE WAS BATTERING THE TOWN EARLIER FRIDAY EVENING. SECTIONS OF DELCAMBRE WILL BE UNDER WATER.

IBERIA AND ST. MARY PARISHES...MAXIMUM STORM SURGE BETWEEN 6 AND 10 FEET IS LIKELY ONGOING. THIS WILL FLOOD SECTIONS OF CYPREMORT POINT AND BURNS POINT...AND LOW-LYING AREAS SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 90 FROM FRANKLIN TO MORGAN CITY.

Posted
flagpole, they were saying yesterday as the leveee broke, on...cant remember which news feed, think I had about 10 running at one point! the Ninth Ward is almost 100% destroyed from Katrina, what they didnt want was new breaks elsewhere to create new damage in the parts of the city which didnt get damaged by Katrina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not entirely sure why you directed that at me. Adi said he couldn't understand why people were still concerned for NO when it had already sustained damage so I tried to explain why I was still concerned. Am I not entitled to be worried about a city which has already suffered so much?

I know exactly what the situation is in NO please remember that :)

Posted

Sorry, thought your post was partly in reply to mine with the "so what" in quotation marks flagpole.

So through common courtesy I replied :)

Was no upset intended :)

Posted
Not entirely sure why you directed that at me. Adi said he couldn't understand why people were still concerned for NO when it had already sustained damage so I tried to explain why I was still concerned. Am I not entitled to be worried about a city which has already suffered so much?

I know exactly what the situation is in NO please remember that :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see both sides to the argument here. NO is pretty much wrecked already, the water had been pumped out and then yesterday - deja vu. That is a great shame for people who had a little hope of seeing their city again. (I think NO will be competely bulldozed now btw)

On the other hand, Rita could've very easily "gone for" Houston. So you then have NO and Houston (two major US cities effectively cut off) - therefore maybe it is better(if that's the right word) NO got a pasting again :)

Posted
Sorry, thought your post was partly in reply to mine with the "so what" in quotation marks flagpole.

So through common courtesy I replied  :)

Was no upset intended  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No prob :) (the ' ' things were supposed to indicate speech not quote you - oops!)

just get a bit upset for all the people caught up in things like this.

Posted
Looks like Mondy was still half a sleep this morning.

5-6am landfall, he said!! Oh well!

Any word on storm surge yet?

EDIT:

KLVI radio in Beaumont has some sort of internet feed... it's not great, but it seems to be the internet feed nearest to the center of the storm.... right now, people are calling in with their observations and damage reports....

http://www.klvi.com/main.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great feed Mondy, and it sounds really extensive there, not good at all

Posted

yeah i agree great feed!! listening to people ringing in,sounds bad and very scary for the people trapped inside!!

god bless hope they stay safe x

Posted
Is it good? I turned it off at some advert break :)

(will put it back on)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent stuff but terrible for those that stayed behind

Seems like they are getting really hit in Camden Parish and Lake Charles