Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

Indeed. What's more, the magnetic Bz is south. Car being prepared.

Posted

Enjoy, guys. The KP index has just moved to 5 = storm.

Really need Kp of around 6 or 7 for a decent show but as Shuggs has said Bz is bouncing about all over the place, could get a nice substorm.

Posted

It seems pretty strong in well to the north, but doesn't seem to be heading south yet. Those in the Shetlands might get a good show if it's clear.

Posted

Home from a not unpleasant run around Fife and ended up not far from Cupar (a great name for a town in Polish) with reasonable clear skies. Saw nothing except the 'lingering twilight'. Ho hum.

Posted

That pesky Bz keeps swinging North. Shame really. Would have thought we'd have had a decent light show with almost a perfect hit..

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Morning. Was out until 2.30am but saw nothing this time, the sky was fairly clear so not bad conditions. As the experts are saying, the geometric storm never really got above a strong kp4 this time. We really need a strong kp5 or above for better results over the uk at our latitude, hey ho hopefully not long to wait until the next one Posted Image

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A fast-moving CME hit Earth's magnetic field on July 14th at approximately 1800 UT. The impact was not as strong as forecasters expected. Nevertheless, the blow compressed Earth's magnetosphere and sparked a mild (Kp=5) geomagnetic storm, in progress. So far, few sightings of auroras have been reported. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

The arrival of the CME shook Earth's magnetic field, which in turn induced electrical currents in the ground at Arctic latitudes. Rob Stammes measured the effect from his magnetic observatory in Lofoten, Norway:

Posted Image

Stammes has observed many CME strikes from his laboratory at the Polar Light Center. He says this one was not particularly strong, at least in terms of ground currents. Relatively weak ground currents are consistent with the muted displays of auroras in the aftermath of the strike. Spaceweather.com

Solar storms and pineal gland – riding the power wave

BY ADONAI – JULY 14, 2012POSTED IN: COSMIC EVOLUTION, EARTH CHANGES, EDITORS' PICKS, SPACE WEATHER

Share610Posted Image

According to study published in the New Scientist back in 1998, there is a direct connection between the Sun’s solar storms and human biological effects.

The conduit which facilitates the charged particles from the Sun to human disturbance — is the very same conduit which steers Earth’s weather —– the magnetic field. Animals and humans have a magnetic field which surrounds them — in the very same way the magnetic field surrounds the Earth as a protector.

From 1948 to 1997, the Institute of North Industrial Ecology Problems in Russia found that geomagnetic activity showed three seasonal peaks each of those years (March to May, in July, and in October). Every peak matched an increased incidence of anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and suicide in the city Kirovsk.

Electromagnetic activity from the sun affects our electronic devices and human electromagnetic field. We are physically, mentally, and emotionally altered by electromagnetic charges from the sun, our body can feel sleepy but also become highly energized.

Psychological effects of CMEs (coronal mass ejections) are typically short lived and include headache, palpitations, mood swings, and feeling generally unwell. Chaotic or confused thinking, and erratic behaviors also increase. Solar storms can drive our emotions and maximize it to both good and bad side – the point here is to be aware of it.

Pineal gland in our brain is also affected by the electromagnetic activity which causes the gland to produce excess melatonin, a hormone which can cause sleepiness but it’s also known that some people have opposite side effects, usually those that are aware of the effects.

Riding the power wave – pineal gland stimulation

Our pineal glands have excess melatonin production during solar storms – electromagnetic activity. Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors, while others are due to its role as a pervasive and powerful antioxidant, with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.

Pineal gland is also referred as the third eye, and the third eye is also known as the inner eye. The third eye is a mystical and esoteric concept referring in part to the ajna (brow) chakra in certain dharmic spiritual traditions, in particular Hinduism. This concept was later adopted by Christian mystics and spiritualists as well as people from other religious faiths. It is also spoken of as the gate that leads within to inner realms and spaces of higher consciousness. Among Christian mystics, the term is used in a broad sense to indicate a non-dualistic perspective. In New Age spirituality, the third eye may symbolize a state of enlightenment or the evocation of mental images having deeply personal spiritual or psychological significance. The third eye is often associated with visions, clairvoyance (which includes the ability to observe chakras and auras), precognition, and out-of-body experiences. People who have allegedly developed the capacity to utilize their third eyes are sometimes known as seers.

For the reasons most of you know – humans tend to have their pineal glands heavily calcified – sleeping.

Fluoride (found in tap water, toothpaste, processed foods…) is just one of the things that causes calcification of pineal gland. Fluoride is magnetically attracted to the pineal gland where it forms calcium phosphate crystals more than anywhere else in the body. How to decalcify pineal gland? One excellent link is here.

Third eye should be active, vibrant and strong… the process of decalcification sometimes includes headaches and sleepiness… – the same as they say for solar storms like the one in effect now.

… enjoy the weekend.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Whilst I've noticed several things that affect my moods, Solar Storms are not one of them; so I don't really buy into that one, PM...To me, it looks like another effort to tie science in with ancient religion???

But, whatever the truth may be, enjoy your weekend, too...Posted Image

Posted

Whilst I've noticed several things that affect my moods, Solar Storms are not one of them; so I don't really buy into that one, PM...To me, it looks like another effort to tie science in with ancient religion???

But, whatever the truth may be, enjoy your weekend, too...Posted Image

I agree RP, I just threw it in as i have never heard of this so called connection before and was just waiting for some reactions/views on this subject. I must say i do feel a little different today...... But i will put that down to a very late night (3am) and then getting woken up by a cockerel at 6.15am because i forgot to close the bedroom window.... Posted Image

Posted

Like everyone else, saw nowt last night. Just checked the magnetometer page and the graphs are going beserk; also tantalising Bz is currently about 10 deg south. Daylight here and grey cloud again but should be a good show for Canada and the Nothern States.

Regarding moods, I always get a buzz when there's a solar storm but that has more to do with being an arora freak than anything else!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Something must have been on display since it was drizzling when I left the pub at one. So the cloud appeared on call.

Posted

Simulations Indicate Arrival of July 12 CME Has Compressed Earth's Magnetosphere Significantly.

The magnetopause is the boundary between solar wind material and the Earth's environment. Usually, it is well above geosynchronous orbit (where lots of satellites live). When a CME arrives, its pressure can push this boundary closer to Earth (which is what you see happening in the simulation in this picture). If it crosses geosynchronous orbit, then satellites that rely on the Earth's magnetic field for orientation can become confused.

Full Alert Text: http://swc.gsfc.nasa.gov/main/20120715-AL-001

Posted Image

Posted

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A strong geomagnetic storm is in progress as Earth's magnetic field reverberates from a CME strike on July 14th. At first the CME's impact seemed relatively weak, but conditions in the wake of the CME have become stormy. Analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab say that satellites in geosynchronous orbit may have been directly exposed to solar wind plasma. Also, Northern Lights have appeared in the United States as far south as California, Utah, Missouri, Wisconsin, Iowa, Oregon, Illinois, Arkansas and Nebraska. Aurora alerts:text, voice.

Brad Goldpaint sends this picture of the auroras reflecting from Sparks Lake in central Oregon:

Posted Image

Meanwhile in the southern hemisphere, the aurora australis has been sighted in New Zealand, Australia, and directly above the South Pole itself.

Note: Extremely high levels of web traffic are slowing the response of our Realtime Photo Gallery, below. We are working to solve the problem--not only for now, but also for future high-traffic storms. Go ahead and click on the link. If you can't see the pictures right away, please return later today and try again. Spaceweather.com

Posted

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVHM_ULSp4&list=UUIp0KTgnQNZJIOQZqrVDw1g&index=1&feature=plcp

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiTCw5oGatA&list=UUIp0KTgnQNZJIOQZqrVDw1g&index=2&feature=plcp

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Bz currently 10+deg south, Kp = 6 and the magnetometers are still swinging wildly. Starting to get dark here and the grey cloud looks to be breaking up.

Will it all last 'till midnight??Posted Image

Posted

Bz currently 10+deg south, Kp = 6 and the magnetometers are still swinging wildly. Starting to get dark here and the grey cloud looks to be breaking up.

Will it all last 'till midnight??Posted Image

I hope so, we should be in for a better chance than last night according to the models.

Fingers crossed good luck everyone Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Now back to 'no significant activity'. Clear as a bell here, hoping for something :)

Posted
Posted Image

Posted

Now changed to minor geomagnetic activity

Edited by Calum

Posted

Blimey, Bz at -12 South. Scottish magnetometer at amber, and Kp at 6. And too knackered to go out again.

• Like 1

Posted

And how iritated with yourself that you didn't go and look again might you be?

• Like 1

Posted

Oh CR - don't say that! When I'm up at 7am for work, I'll not care. At 7.10am when I see photos from East Anglia I'll be gutted.

I do have a view north west and north east from the house going out over the Firth of Forth (behind houses etc.), so that'll do.

Posted

Clear here, still nothing yet