Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glimmer of hope model discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Tell me about it, I live 20 miles from Beverly and had light rain here!

Come on you should have been in your car and got us Photo's.

Posted
Tell me about it, I live 20 miles from Beverly and had light rain here!

Thats really annoying and has happened to me a few times. The most notorious was that 1996 event when I was living in London and the front stalled to the west of london, I was at university at the time and a couple of friends who lived out in the midlands rang to tell me that they were snowbound! again on that occasion the front was supposed to make slow progress eastwards but decided to stop and retreat westwards! these things can happen when pressure is trying to build to the east, I'm not saying that will happen here but the weather can and does surprise. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind
Maybe JS's outlook is right for East Cork, but most of us come from England, and a significant number come from Scotland and Wales, where snow prospects are somewhat greater.

It's also worth noting that this Atlantic stuff to follow on (in FI) is hardly very mild-looking; cold westerly airflows are traditionally a source of snow for Ireland as the country faces the full force of cold zonal flows.

Hi TWS,

The problem is that Cork, where JS lives only really gets snow on a SE from the continent or as it turns out on a frontal system like that is approaching on Wednesday , that is if the warm front meets a sufficiently cold air mass. I dont think that will happen this week but I think JS should enjoy the synoptics because of the potential outcome if we had a very cold air mass for a few days.

I think JS, you need to move to the East or North of the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow

Just my daily post :)

* passes around cookies and hot chocolate* Jack frost is about! :)

The charts are looking good and can only get better! :D:D:D:D

Robert

[/quote

Let's hope you are right Robert, you have stuck to your guns and have entertained us (in a good way!) over the last few days. Nice site by the way. Back on topic, I live 355m asl in S Wales and am very confident in seeing some snow over the next few days, and am eagerly awaiting the 18z and 0z tonight (as i'm in work all night :drinks: ).

Edited by Simon SWales

Posted

The uncertainty for Thursday's 'event' has been highlighted by the reappearance of this BBC map: -

post-3900-1170537660_thumb.jpg

:drinks:

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Thats really annoying and has happened to me a few times. The most notorious was that 1996 event when I was living in London and the front stalled to the west of london, I was at university at the time and a couple of friends who lived out in the midlands rang to tell me that they were snowbound! again on that occasion the front was supposed to make slow progress eastwards but decided to stop and retreat westwards! these things can happen when pressure is trying to build to the east, I'm not saying that will happen here but the weather can and does surprise. :D

.....and there was me thinking you were in your late 60s with all that knowledge you have!!! :drinks:

Posted
Jan 08th 1982 please...and please don't bring up footie tonight :drinks:

Need a scandi high for that, otherwise the sypnotics are spot on!

KTtom

Hi Ktom,

My favourite date and if I could have the same again before I leave this earth I would be a happy man.

Posted
The uncertainty for Thursday's 'event' has been highlighted by the reappearance of this BBC map: -

Now that is some easterly lol

Posted
Come on you should have been in your car and got us Photo's.

Heres one taken only 6 miles away from the area where they dug people out...

post-4473-1170537659_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I better call up the Insurance people I think. LOL

Posted

Just reading through previous posts I would like to pose a question I did originally 4 or 5 days ago but it did get a response so I hope you will forgive for asking again.

I know very little about reading weather models so I rely on the assessments made by you more knowledgeable guys. Since the end of the last cold snap/spell I have read initially daily comments like its Atlantic as far as the eyes can see, deck chairs and the general winter is all over theme. I then start to read in the past few days hang on chaps its back on again with a cold spell next week and talk of it come from out of the blue nothing on the models a few days ago etc?

Turning to my question posted before the models were showing a possible event for this week: Surely this cold spell is not out of the blue or unforeseen because the 5th Feb was touted on here by posters 2 weeks ago as the next potential cold spell and indeed suggested by a few that it would be a proper cold spell unlike the blip in January? So my question is do some of you read each model run so closely that you become blinkered to what you have seen previously and miss the bigger picture? Also are models really telling us well in advance of these cold spells only to disappear then to emerge again with a week to go? This is not the first time I have seen this scenario the same thing happened at the start of Jan and cold spell predicted for @20th only to disappear etc etc?

Posted
Hi TWS,

The problem is that Cork, where JS lives only really gets snow on a SE from the continent or as it turns out on a frontal system like that is approaching on Wednesday , that is if the warm front meets a sufficiently cold air mass. I dont think that will happen this week but I think JS should enjoy the synoptics because of the potential outcome if we had a very cold air mass for a few days.

I think JS, you need to move to the East or North of the UK.

Well JS if you fancy some proper winter weather then how about this for a forecast, this is north of Toronto where my friends live. Now thats what I call cold!

http://www.cbc.ca/weather/conditions.jsp?station=WRK

Posted
Well JS if you fancy some proper winter weather then how about this for a forecast, this is north of Toronto where my friends live. Now thats what I call cold!

Nah, just flurries, it it's gonna be that cold, you just have to have a good snowfall. LOL :drinks:

Posted

Low of -29c. Hells teeth !!! Am I to assume that GW only applies to the UK as an Income Tax raising tool ??

Posted

Hi HighPressure,

I could be wrong but as this is the model thread you get a lot of members giving their views as to what would happen if a given run were to come off.

This is what I call the hour to hour fun on this thread.

Then you have others who take the current run and keep in mind what recent runs have shown as well.

Takes all sort and makes this a great forum.

Posted
Nah, just flurries, it it's gonna be that cold, you just have to have a good snowfall. LOL :drinks:

Yes but they already have feet of snow and flurries over there doesnt mean the one snowflake an hour that it does here! :D

Posted

Just seen this forecast from METO : :drinks:

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Monday and Tuesday will be dry and sunny after a frosty night. More cloudy on Wednesday with outbreaks of sleet or snow and increasing southeasterly winds.

Im a bit confused whether the breakdown will happen on weds or Thurs it seems to be chopping and changing every couple of hours! Im of to Tenerife on thurs so praying to see some white stuff before I go. what do you think my chances are?

Posted
Hi Ktom,

My favourite date and if I could have the same again before I leave this earth I would be a happy man.

Likewise, will never forget that time :drinks: