Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Will it snow in......?

Posted
Hi snowday. The reason the forecasts are giving you a different outlook every time you look is because there is still so much uncertainty even with a few days to go. The current conditions we are facing are quite rare these days and are a lot more difficult for computers/forecasters to predict accurately.

As for your travel plans I could not honestly give you an answer at this stage. My advice for you is to keep an eye on the Net-Weather close-up forecasts and to keep an eye on the blogs that John Holmes (Senior Forecaster) has been doing over recent days. If you need help locating this PM me.

Regards

Ian

A lot depends on the how far north the track of the projected low pressure gets. Some of the model runs this morning have projected this to get as far north as your area, however other models have shown the track of the low to be further south.

As with my other recent post in this thread the best advice is to keep a close eye on the Blogs by John Holmes and the close up forecast from the home page.

One thing is for certain it really is on a knife-edge!

Hope this helps.

Ian

thanks ian will do

Posted

Hope the mods dont mind a quick question meant to be driving from south wales to south london on thursday evening for a funeral on friday what are my chances of getting there

Thanks warwick

Hope the mods dont mind a quick question meant to be driving from south wales to south london on thursday evening for a funeral on friday what are my chances of getting there

Thanks warwick

the early evening looks to be Ok- its the latter stages into the overnight period that becomes a worry-

S

Posted

I've got a follow up to the post I put on a couple of days ago. I'm now in Mildenhall (Suffolk) and intend to drive back to Leweds Thursday pm or evening. What are my chances?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I've got to drive from Northampton to the Lincolnshire Wolds on Thursday afternoon..... ;)

How long's it going to take me to get home? (Rhetorical question BTW - no-one's likely to know until much nearer the time!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
I've got to drive from Northampton to the Lincolnshire Wolds on Thursday afternoon..... :)

How long's it going to take me to get home? (Rhetorical question BTW - no-one's likely to know until much nearer the time!)

Current charts suggest your journey will be awful or fun depending on how you see it ? lol.

Posted

:) -->

QUOTE(Matt B @ 6 Feb 2007, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reading?

Hi Matt,

here are some snippets from my earlier post after looking at the 06Z

"Hi BriT, we are definitely in the marginal zone. For some reason the M4 is always a bit of a boundary, maybe something to do with the Thames Valley or the Orography

For us a lot will depend on the conditions in the run up to event i.e. time of day, temps and dew points. If it arrives at night we stand a much better chance of getting a dew hours of snow. If it arrives during the daylight this will reduce the chances somewhat.

ps. I will be heading up to Beacon Hill in the hope of breaking a few bones !!

pps. the current scenario we have with a channel low pressure is/was always going to be our best shot at some decent snowfall here. That is not to say that it will happen... very much proof in the pudding time! "

The 12Z shows things moving further north somewhat! I reckon we will need the low to track as southerly as possible. I will be heading to the local hills round here in the hope of some sledging!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

LOL looking at the Beeb website we're out of the zone. Looking at the Met office we're in the zone warning wise. Just checked the Met Office website for our area and it looks like jump in the car for photos time. :D

Posted

Thanks warwick

Hi All

As an NW lurker * for the past two years I thought I was getting the hang of interpreting the basics (the absolute basics) ; and given my location (Hamilton : 10 miles SSE of Glasgow) , I confess the last few days have developed a CHING ramp (mentally speaking) I was planning on sledging off come Thurs-Fri !!! But , whilst very pleased for those , more previously snow challenged areas, that are about to enjoy a good dumping, I find my own neck of the woods may remain dry !?! Am I interpreting the situation correctly ie is Thurs into Friday starting to look less inspiring for SW Scotland ?

Expanding on forecasts for "Scotland" would be really appreciated as it is hard to relate my understanding (absolute basic understanding) of the models for my location versus some of the expert forecasts that are being made on a by area basis

Cheers

Ching

* Thanks to all

PS : First post so refrained from using any emoticons ........ but so tempting

PPS : How do I "unramp" two small kids ? They will never forgive me :-)

Hi there, new to all this. Not seen much snow here in dundee, slight dusting this morning though. Am going home to Kent [North Downs] on fri till mon. Everythings confusing regarding where and where it will snow this week and into sat. Can anyone shed some light about what to expect.

Thanks,

Posted

Hi all,

I will be in London until about 10.30pm tomorrow night as I wil lbe at a gig...

Will my journey back to Reigate by train be affected do oyu think - also do you think I will be able to get back to London on Thursday morning... (an inch of snow should stop me!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Hi all,

I will be in London until about 10.30pm tomorrow night as I wil lbe at a gig...

Will my journey back to Reigate by train be affected do oyu think - also do you think I will be able to get back to London on Thursday morning... (an inch of snow should stop me!!)

Wednesday should be ok and Thursday may have slight disruption but london isnt going to have loads of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Will it snow in Derby and how much could accumilate?

If things don't change (and its still an IF) then it looks really good for us in Derby. I haven't seen the situation as promising as this since i started watching models and chasing snow back in 2003 (although thats not saying much!!!)

It could be that we get a period of snow lasting all day Thursday and into the overnight in which case we could end up with 10-15cm of snow. Add to that a further dumping on Sat ahead of milder weather. Its looking good, but i'll be keeping a watch as we get closer to the event.

Posted
Wednesday should be ok and Thursday may have slight disruption but london isnt going to have loads of snow.

That's what I thought but it could be touch and go Thursday morning I reckon... it would only need the low to track 100 miles or so south I reckon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I'm getting a flight from Heathrow at 1pm, should it be okay in getting there (from Aylesbury) and for planes taking off etc? I've been looking forward to this holiday for ages - looks like I'm going to miss the big snow event I've always wanted whilst away

it would help if you told what day that was! :(:D

Posted

Well according to the Net Weather 12z 7 day forecast, it doesn't look good for snow Thursday morning down here in Woking Surrey. They're going for sleet and 3c between 3 and 6am for it to turn to rain thereafter!

:(

Posted
Well according to the Net Weather 12z 7 day forecast, it doesn't look good for snow Thursday morning down here in Woking Surrey. They're going for sleet and 3c between 3 and 6am for it to turn to rain thereafter!

:(

Im afraid thats luck. Snow in the Midlands like what we will have on thursday is Literally a Massive Blizzard for us!

Posted
Im afraid thats luck. Snow in the Midlands like what we will have on thursday is Literally a Massive Blizzard for us!

Hi Blizzards! I admire your enthusiasm, but you are setting yourself up for a bit of a fall by talking about massive blizzards. If I were you I would remain quietly confident without getting too carried away...

Posted

looking good for hertfordshire o thursday morning but........according to peter gibs it will have turned to rain by midday and wash all the snow away in this part :)

Posted

just watched our local weather girl, here in the east can expect snow how much she could not say ,but if you look on the weather on bbc24. there we got up 15-20 cm ,plus more snow saterday - sunday