Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

12z Model discussion - rain, sleet or snow?

Paul

Posted
Going to last March 12th it was a totally different set-up but we had 4 inches of snow as the winds started SE then turned to the S/SE and they were strong too and was absolutely bitterly cold on this day as the temp was 1.3c then it turned to freezing drizzle despite the temp above freezing drifting snow before the light drizzle come which happened in the 80s too sometimes.

This day was still bitter at 2.1c max with some hail rain/snow mix and still drifting at times in strong S/SE winds.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2006/...00120060312.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2006/...00220060312.png

Then something I`ve only seen once before was it turned to freezing rain and it was heavy I was out in it later and my coat was freezing and the temp was getting lower the trees were creaking as you could here the ice on them as the wind was still strong it was getting worrying everything was ice :( and crunchy under foot until it stopped this night and got milder.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2006/...00120060313.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2006/...00220060313.png

All in all a major event :(

This looks a better event/s to me up there with 1996 anyway

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/brack1a.gif

The way it`s going it may track a little further south,if not you`ll have to come too the welsh hills too see some snow :D

Sorry off topic but the metO winter update sounds promising! As to the models for once i hope it stays put and not further south, just for once i want to see a proper snow fall, its been so many years since i have seen a good dumping :(

Edit- that sounds so dodgy :D

Edited by Slinky

Posted
Here we go.

Sorry about the arrows though my hands always shake all the time due to medication and I struggle to draw straight lines.

post-1766-1170785586_thumb.jpg

Fantastic map with possible outcomes of snow accumulation for many areas.

I am in there some where :D

It would be nice if you could do a map for Saturday or maybe a bit nearer the time after some more updated model runs :( ?

Robert

Posted

Intresting you say that Steve about how you think its too far north, do you remember Marc 04, it was the first real set-up I followed and it was fairly close to the current set-up, not the same but similar idea near our shores:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2004/...cka20040312.gif

Models had the fron treaching far north regions of England, furtyher north then progged right now howeveer in the end northern people were left very upset as the system ended up a good 50 miles further south, gave Wales quite a hammering if I recall as wel las west Midlands.

Of course its not the same but it need to be noted that the models tend to slightly under-do the strength of the highs a little and so the models may wlel be slightly over-doing how far north the front can get, but they may be right in the end, such is the uncertainty right now, will be intresting to watch and see what happens!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

I still think the fax charts are to far NORTH-

S

I think the fact that there remains so much (unprecedented??) model divergence at +36 to +48 means that fairly significant movement still is possible.

I have to agree though if it is still wrong it's going one way - south.

Also +100 on the models ATM is equivalant to about +280 in a stable pattern (i e deep in FI) - trends only past +60 - lets see if the 18Z is closer to the GEM solution than the 12Z - i know where my money is.

Posted
You know it's funny you say this Steve because I have this nagging doubt that even though my region is supposed to be in the ideal zone I can['t help but fear the area of snow won't even reach me and shall be further S. My instincts are telling me around 60miles further S.

thats luton then :(

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The FAX charts have human imput though, and are based on the ECWMF ensembles, obviously more runs have gone north and as a result, they have moved the front north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
Absolute BUMMER, where is tall pauls dome. :(

What does this mean, will itsnow in sheff then :(:D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm not sure but if there are changes then yes it will move south, however I don't think it will because the events that go south have been of a convective nature - more or less a channel low, however the low characterstics don't have extreme movement of low south written all over them. I would say that the FAX chart have got this right within a 15-20 miles margin North or south

Posted
Magical stuff darkman, This doesnt seem real.

Yes looks like snow on Wednesday night and Thursday. Good agreement now between the models. Still could be changes but I dont see things changing much now less then 48hrs out. Enjoy it while it lasts :(

Posted

Yes i definately agree because when i read about what might happen on sunday i had a really funny feeling. I fought to myself this is going to be a big one. And it's not me getting over excited at all because when they forecast snow its normally about 3 to 4 inches on average these days. Also looking at all the charts i live just on the black mountains and my elevation is 320m asl therfor i have a good chance but even sea level should do good. It's currently snowing now here in Glanaman have any of you ever heard of it?

Ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg os ydych chi da iawn i chi.

Nos da a ffydd yn yr eira

Gobaith am eira

Hwyl fawr :(

Posted
Absolute BUMMER, where is tall pauls dome. :(

Although its probably 80%-20% aggainst us getting a good dumping on thursday, there is still time for change! If the charts are the same come tommorow at 6pm, then I think weve been well and truly rajd!

This is so annoying! every cold spell in the last 10 years has failed to produce hardly anything, yet even the classic set-up seems like its guna dissapoint us...

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
Just for you Tamara the gem takes the low further south. :(

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.cgi?...&hour=048hr

And the T48 latest fax has some 528 tucking in behind thursdays depression anyway.... could be a messy mix :D

OOPS should have read 48 :D thanks Joneseye

Edited by ned

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

While I would like Thursdays event to be further north from a selfish point of view, I am willing to take one for the team and will the LP further south!

This show of selflessness comes from my belief that if it is more southerly then Saturdays event will be better for the country and will pave the way for a longer spell of cold. If the track is further North on Thursday I fear it may result in the mild weather making more of an impact into next week!

AM

Posted
The FAX charts have human imput though, and are based on the ECWMF ensembles, obviously more runs have gone north and as a result, they have moved the front north.

I don't think they'd used the ECM for the latest fax charts as they look dead close to the UKMO raw output so the fax charts tonight are likely just the pure UKMO raw output, obviously put into the Fax chart format.

Stephen,I think you may be right but I do think the front will have a harder time getting there then currently progged for reasons I've already explained, i honestly think the front could be a good 12hrs 'slower' in getting to more N.England though I think overall its right just too fast.

AM- nearly every ensemble member that had snow on Sat-Sun also had this low taking a fairly low latitude tracking, the 12z op included in this to a certain extent as well though that run had the tilt of the front not quite so good for the south but it was a good run in that regard.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Why does something deep down inside me tell me that it will turn out to be sleet or rain, I really hope not but I have this feeling :(

I would have the same feeling if I was from Bristol too. IMO Bristol is a make or break area regarding this snow, As some models are showing currently. I believe though, Bristol will just catch this one and it will snow. I do not want to build false hope though, but bear in mind, I think it will snow there.

Posted

Good Evening everyone,

Here is a model analysis for the GFS, UKMO, GME and NOGAPS, i am still awaiting ECM ?!?! but if i find time i will post those later

Technical_Model_Analysis.ppt

Be warned... it is a pretty big file, if you dont have powerpoint you can download a free powerpoint viewer here .... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Hope you enjoy :(

SM06

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Intresting you say that Steve about how you think its too far north, do you remember Marc 04, it was the first real set-up I followed and it was fairly close to the current set-up, not the same but similar idea near our shores:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2004/...cka20040312.gif

Models had the fron treaching far north regions of England, furtyher north then progged right now howeveer in the end northern people were left very upset as the system ended up a good 50 miles further south, gave Wales quite a hammering if I recall as wel las west Midlands.

Of course its not the same but it need to be noted that the models tend to slightly under-do the strength of the highs a little and so the models may wlel be slightly over-doing how far north the front can get, but they may be right in the end, such is the uncertainty right now, will be intresting to watch and see what happens!

Another good example was early March 2006, when we had a northerly airflow over Britain, and lows tracking to the south.

All the models, especially GFS, repeatedly had lows tracking over Britain with a battleground between the Arctic air and the mild SW'lys- and some even had mild air associated with the depressions reaching the whole of Britain by the 4th March. In the event, all the depressions passed away to the south...

I doubt that the depressions will end up that far south this time (if they did, then it would be hats off to the GEM) but I agree with the view that if the models have it wrong, the depressions are more likely to end up further south.

Posted

Funny thing is that the GFS 12z 106h looks an awfull lot like it did at 108h on sat (if thats the correct maths *lol*) :)

Posted

I'm fed up. I have had several posts removed recently due to being slightly off topic!. So the fact i have just had to go through pages and pages of will it snow here will i snow there is annoying. I gave up in the end and as a result have probably missed some important posts. It seems to be 1 rule for 1 and 1 rule for the other.

On current projections it looks like the east midlands could be in the firing line for both thursday and saturday with some heavy snow showers on friday.

Chris

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
Why does something deep down inside me tell me that it will turn out to be sleet or rain, I really hope not but I have this feeling :)

I was thinking the same thing only 30 minutes ago.

I tell you why you have that feeling. Because it happens far to often.. :drinks: