Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
B)

Stand aside. It's the turn for us lot in North Yorkshire, Tyne&Wear, Lincolnshire, etc to get the significant snow.

Hi mate.

You should see the snow covering I have got in such a short space of time.

This really is a welcome suprise.

Great news for the weekend P.P.

Posted

Just noticed this little snippet on the home page:

Saturday sees another snowfall risk, this time most likely for Northern Britain, particularly Central and Eastern Scotland plus Central and Eastern parts of Northern England. Some quite heavy snowfall is likely for a time.

B)

Posted
I do hope so. Metcheck reckon 12-14cms for us on Saturday - Result !!!!

Phone went and missed the train. next one in an hour. I'm thinking actually. If you guys are going to get more Saturday ... whats the chances of todays snow staying til then and you then ending up with 20odd cm's - 10inches???

I might postpon my trip til then if there is more chance!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Loads of heavy showers pushing their way in now hail and thunder for me today B) better than snow B)

lol kaz x

Indeed, lol. I've waited so long for snow that it is no longer my favourite weather. Roll on the thunderstorms :D (and hopefully there will be a few rumbles today).

Posted
B)

Stand aside. It's the turn for us lot in North Yorkshire, Tyne&Wear, Lincolnshire, etc to get the significant snow.

I think you will later on saturday - get set for a white- out !

Posted

:D -->

QUOTE(Paul B @ 8 Feb 2007, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't we can expect too much here in East Anglia now. Its recently turned to rain here, 10 miles inland from the Suffolk coastline and there's a rapid thaw of the lying snow we have had.

Still, there's always Saturday perhaps.

Thanks for that B) I will keep my fingers crossed but......I will believe it when I see it! B)

Posted

Snowing quite heavily again here, dropped the temperature back down to 0.1C from todays maximum of 0.5C. Its filling it all the holes I made to roll the snowman in the back garden. Virgin snow now measures between 13-16cm. Against the fence where its drifted I got about 35cm.

Turned out nice again.

Posted
Hi mate.

Really pleased for you Brian. You got a bit more elevation than where I am too (I happen to live in the lowest place in County Durham apart from the coast...lol).

As for everybody else...this was always going to be a fleeting, marginal event - no matter how much snowfall some people got. There simply isn't enough colder air making inroads into the UK from the east.

Snow melting by sunrise is NOT winter, imo. I think the high ground of northern England and parts of the east midlands look likely to see some decent snow on Saturday; but the strength of the easterly wind progged means that it is going to be very marginal for those who live within 10 miles of the east coast; sleet and rain more likely here.

B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Hi mate.

Congrats on the snow Brian, for me it look as if any heavier PPN will miss me though B)

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
Snowing quite heavily again here, dropped the temperature back down to 0.1C from todays maximum of 0.5C. Its filling it all the holes I made to roll the snowman in the back garden. Virgin snow now measures between 13-16cm. Against the fence where its drifted I got about 35cm.

Turned out nice again.

Very similar conditions here. This certainly surpasses the Jan 04 thundersnow event in terms of depth.

Posted
and parts of the east midlands look likely to see some decent snow on Saturday

I'll have another round, oh go on then.

Still not finished today here.

B)

Hi mate.

Looking at 1230z there's band of more intense snow edging up from the south. Hopeful still intact it might reach Durham in a couple of hours if PP hasn't got that snowshield up again B)

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Teesdale

Posted
Looking at 1230z there's band of more intense snow edging up from the south. Hopeful still intact it mightreach Durham in a couple of hous if PP has got that snowsheild up again B)

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Too warm here now for snow anyway....we have that pesky easterly picking up and its brought temps up to 3C and the dewpoint is now 1C.

-10 isotherm is too far east to compensate for the warming effect.

(I just feel really bad for those living in Aberdeen.....all they have seen is rain\sleet from the north sea majority of the time).

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Indeed, lol. I've waited so long for snow that it is no longer my favourite weather. Roll on the thunderstorms B) (and hopefully there will be a few rumbles today).

Yup, Kaz, and Somerset Squall - perhaps, they're on their way . .

post-5986-1170939252_thumb.png

Too warm here now for snow anyway....we have that pesky easterly picking up and its brought temps up to 3C and the dewpoint is now 1C.

-10 isotherm is too far east to compensate for the warming effect.

The rate its moving should with us around 3/4 pm perhaps temps will begin to fall by then for you. Knowing Co Durham luck this winter it will grind to halt over N Yorks or fizzzle out B)

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

With regard to Saturday WeatherOnline seem to be contradicting themselves:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/feature/2007/02/08_foc.htm - updated today.

Saturday

Another bitterly cold day and there is the potential for further heavy snow across North Wales, The North Midlands into northern England through the day. Light snow is also possible across Scotland and Northern Ireland with rain in the far south of England tending to clear in the afternoon.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/feature/2007/02/08_mcal.htm - updated today.

Now, the weekend is starting to cause some concern. All I will say at this stage is that there is a threat of heavy snow for Ireland, Wales and much of southern England. I'd have the risk of 20% at the moment, but will bring you more on that tomorrow.

Just covering every possibility maybe.

I'm quite hopefull for Saturday now.

Temp here 1.1°C and another shower heading this way, could be sleety though.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

B) Rather pathetic here in Dewsbury, where I'm working. Started at 8.50am with some promise, but its virtually been stop-start ever since, the emphasis more on stop than start. The snowflakes are really small and not settling at all. Really disappointed with it. Looks as though we're going to miss most of the action yet again!

Congrats to all those who've had tons of the white stuff - enjoy it while you can!!!!! B)

Posted

Up here we had a dusting of snow last night - the equivalent of Kate Moss dropping her handbag - the roads were clear first thing this morning yet there was still absolute chaos as the 4x4 drivers took their sprogs to school. T'was pathetic! lol

Posted
Phone went and missed the train. next one in an hour. I'm thinking actually. If you guys are going to get more Saturday ... whats the chances of todays snow staying til then and you then ending up with 20odd cm's - 10inches???

I might postpon my trip til then if there is more chance!!

Hi Beka, good i'd say. -8c tonight means the snow's not going anywhere for a while. A peak of +1c tomorrow will hold it fast until the cavalry arrive on Saturday.

Global warming - I luv it B) B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
Really pleased for you Brian. You got a bit more elevation than where I am too (I happen to live in the lowest place in County Durham apart from the coast...lol).

As for everybody else...this was always going to be a fleeting, marginal event - no matter how much snowfall some people got. There simply isn't enough colder air making inroads into the UK from the east.

Snow melting by sunrise is NOT winter, imo. I think the high ground of northern England and parts of the east midlands look likely to see some decent snow on Saturday; but the strength of the easterly wind progged means that it is going to be very marginal for those who live within 10 miles of the east coast; sleet and rain more likely here.

B)

Spot on PP - another snow event, another that passes us in the north East (alright pushing it a bit for my location, but in weather terms we've more in common with the NE than East Anglia) without incident. Saturday may be a bit more promising, but frankly with higher than average SSTs I'm not particularly hopeful.

Since the turn of the millenium, only the late december 2005 event gave lying snow for longer than 24 hours.