Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
To save time and hassle of members clicking on each pic I have put these together in a movie. I have also added a little something at the end for WIB. :lol:

:lol:

Brilliant! I just had to bookmark that one!

Posted

Must confess to a bit of disappointment for myself. Snowing very lightly for 5 hours settling briefly in a dusting, now all but gone. Norfolk did not do well from this.

That being said, very pleased to see the beautful pictures and reports from elsewhere today!

Hope Saturday trends slightly south to let Norfolk in on the fun :lol:

Posted

Brilliant! I just had to bookmark that one!

I tell you what Brian that was tame compared to what I really wanted to put :lol:

Posted

Apparently the rumor in the office is that we had snow at about 4am this morning. I did wait until 1am last night but when it started raining that's when i called it a night. Suffice to say I wasn't expecting anything lying on the ground when i woke up this morning and I was right (no pleasant suprises just incase the models, forecasts, temps. were all wrong!). I received a phone pictures this morning from the guy (lives in Basingstoke 30 miles north) who sits next to me, with a giant Snowman which only made me more envious. However I am genuinely pleased for everyone who did got a good dumping of snow and the pics are great.

Who knows when another event like this will happen again, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Hopefully the cold air will linger a little longer for those who have it to give you a top up at the weekend :lol:

Posted
I tell you what Brian that was tame compared to what I really wanted to put :lol:

Now now......Lets not get carried away.

Your snow is probably melting rapidly now anyway.....so not that great is it?

Posted

No still laying here and if anything it is compacted down rather than slushy so yes it is great.

So far not a bad winter, snowfall in Jan now this snowfall and technically still 4 weeks left for more to come. You might not be happy but I certainly am.

P.S max temp currently 0C :lol:

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
Yay, snowing heavily here again.

Yay, snowing heavily here too. :lol: :lol:

Posted
Any news from Abingdon ?

Abingdon will have done roughyl the same as here. Overall between 10 and 20 cms depending on where your looking. temps here have risen to 0.4C, but have stabilised there, and its only 3 or so hours before the temps start dropping right off. Roof tops are all still white, all private property is all white, its only the roads and pavements which have turned slushy because theyve clearly been working on them for so long and putting so much salt down. Originally the snow overcame it, but once it stopped coming and the gritters carried on, and temps rose a bit, it was inevitable. But for a city it looks fantastic. Very snowy scene nonetheless. Snow all along sides of pavements and roads, ridges of slush and ice and snow with cars and buses and bikes slithering or else just nudging their way along, snow on cars, roofs, everything. If there is plenty left by tomorrow, and there is no reason i can see why thee wont be, unless something miraculous happens, then plenty will get through to saturday, which will help cold pooling and surface temps immeasurably

Posted
Marginal. Marginal. Marginal.

The Atlantic is never too far away and this is pushing the influence of the Scandi-high back. Typical signs of the 'even larger teapot'....despite the cold-ramping doubters.

Yes I noticed the Jet wasn't in a favourable position on the 00z and all

the blocking to the East pushed away and some rather wet and windy looking

conditions into F.I. Could change quicly though, as things can do.

Will have to scan the ensembles later. anyway that's for another thread.

By the way it is snowing more heavily again here :lol:

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted
Apparently the rumor in the office is that we had snow at about 4am this morning. I did wait until 1am last night but when it started raining that's when i called it a night. Suffice to say I wasn't expecting anything lying on the ground when i woke up this morning and I was right (no pleasant suprises just incase the models, forecasts, temps. were all wrong!). I received a phone pictures this morning from the guy (lives in Basingstoke 30 miles north) who sits next to me, with a giant Snowman which only made me more envious. However I am genuinely pleased for everyone who did got a good dumping of snow and the pics are great.

Who knows when another event like this will happen again, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Hopefully the cold air will linger a little longer for those who have it to give you a top up at the weekend :lol:

Don't be too dispondent.....actually i am.

I also got nothing but heavy rain here...........yet where i lived up until 3 months ago for 12 largely snowless years (Crawley) i believe got a fair bit.

life just aint fair...and now it's blowing a gale outside...with rain of course :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

A bit of a non-event here 2cm covering at the most, rapid thaw setting in now although it has just started snowing again lightly I can't see it amounting to much. One quick question has the Northerly extent this front has tracked now spoilt it for the possible snow event on Saturday for us Northerner's or could it still happen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
To save time and hassle of members clicking on each pic I have put these together in a movie. I have also added a little something at the end for WIB. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
I think Saturday may deliver to people who live above 700 feet in the north-east (and preferably a few miles inland from the coast). Sleet and cold rain for the rest of us Tyne&Wear\Teesside folk though.

I'm at over 600ft so would probably have a good chance, problem is i'm spending Saturday afternoon and night down in Jarrow close to sea level and close to the coast.

I'm hoping everything moves forward by a few hours.

Posted

Got this picture a few minutes ago of a 6 foot tall embryonic snowman here in Kempshott Park, Basingstoke. There was a separate "head" under development a few yards away but the kids were having trouble lifting it into place :lol:

post-5431-1170943280_thumb.jpg

Snow depth here is 4-8cm, sleet and rain showers, temperature around +2.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
No still laying here and if anything it is compacted down rather than slushy so yes it is great.

So far not a bad winter, snowfall in Jan now this snowfall and technically still 4 weeks left for more to come. You might not be happy but I certainly am.

P.S max temp currently 0C :lol:

Eye...please don't sound so smug....or maybe it's me just being bitter

I'm glad you have snow as i know how much you love it.

I have always loved snow and yearn for a return to the late 70's and 80's winters but alas all i got was a load of rain and it's raining again now.....That's my fault i know for moving so close to the south coast...but after 12 years living over 30 miles away from the coast and hardly seeing any settling snow i now feel a bit deflated to say the least.........

Posted

Nice one Dave!

Attention now wil lbe just how cold it'll get overnight and the possibe freezing fog that is being forecasted right now as the lower evls of the atmopshere is quite moist.

PP, i think the set-up on Saturday is more marginal then today buit I see no reason why it couldn't deliver, the main problem will be once again the north-sea could modify the temps quite a lot, todays air is from the SE but the air that will get wrapped up on Sat's system will be from the north-sea.

Posted

Snow had eased a little since my last post a couple of hours ago, but has now got heavier again with big flakes :lol:

Posted
Got this picture a few minutes of a 6 foot tall embryonic snowman here in Kempshott Park, Basingstoke. There was a separate "head" under development a few yards away but the kids were having trouble lifting it into place :lol:

post-5431-1170943280_thumb.jpg

Ill show you a snowman!

post-5481-1170943571_thumb.jpg

In the building process:

post-5481-1170943615_thumb.jpg

The guy on the right in the first one is about 6'5

For all my photos, http://www.putfile.com/wellingtonboot/images

Edited by wellington boot

Posted
Eye...please don't sound so smug....or maybe it's me just being bitter

I'm glad you have snow as i know how much you love it.

I have always loved snow and yearn for a return to the late 70's and 80's winters but alas all i got was a load of rain and it's raining again now.....That's my fault i know for moving so close to the south coast...but after 12 years living over 30 miles away from the coast and hardly seeing any settling snow i now feel a bit deflated to say the least.........

Certainly not being smug just stating what snowfall I have recieved and im delighted so far.

Posted
Nice one Dave!

Attention now wil lbe just how cold it'll get overnight and the possibe freezing fog that is being forecasted right now as the lower evls of the atmopshere is quite moist.

PP, i think the set-up on Saturday is more marginal then today buit I see no reason why it couldn't deliver, the main problem will be once again the north-sea could modify the temps quite a lot, todays air is from the SE but the air that will get wrapped up on Sat's system will be from the north-sea.

It will deliver for high ground only or for those people who are well inland (i.e. 20 miles or more).

I'm very down about the lack of snow here (given my location). Maximum I got was only just 1cm, and that literally only lasted for about an hour or two until it started thawing.

My only hope is mid\late Feb. And we will require a good, proper cold pool to overcome warming from the north sea.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
It will deliver for high ground only or for those people who are well inland (i.e. 20 miles or more).

I'm very down about the lack of snow here (given my location). Maximum I got was only just 1cm, and that literally only lasted for about an hour or two until it started thawing.

My only hope is mid\late Feb. And we will require a good, proper cold pool to overcome warming from the north sea.

I suggest you just up and leave. Come and live with me. Snow follows me