Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
If I get the 30-40cm snow I got back in 1991....I will be a VERY happy man.

Sadly, that will never happen again.

If the GFS 12z run comes to pass, it's certainly not happening on Saturday.

Posted

really heavy again here im going sledging again lol be back soon lol

Posted
If I get the 30-40cm snow I got back in 1991....I will be a VERY happy man.

Sadly, that will never happen again.

It's not all over yet, Don't forget we Have Roberts prediction for

Saturday to take into concideration.

Passes round cookies and hot chocolate. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
It's another close call either way, but I suspect the action will be further north this time: the temps in the south now look a little too high, and even in the north it might require higher ground - all of that said, it will go down to the wire again.

There is something reminiscent of 1979 in the way that the cold air to the north is resisting the mild incursion. Almost exactly 28 years to the day since one of that winter's "big 4". we had 15" of fresh snow that day, on top of 7" that had persisted since (with top ups) since the end of December. I remember walking up the field by my parents' house, at 830 (it took 7 hours to travel 6 miles home from school) literally up to the bottom of my thighs in snow - certainly the deepest level snow I have ever encountered in this country.

Yes, I noticed that there are certainly synoptic parallels with the first half of Feb '79 at the moment; I doubt that this battleground is likely to end as it did on that occasion though (namely an ultra-cold NE'ly around the 14th/15th!)

Posted

Starting to snow for me though very small flakes. Hopfully they will get bigger later, who knows. Looking forward to see what saturday will bring, at the moment the metoffice say snow for me. We will just have to wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Amazing, it's started again !!

Good sized flakes, off we go again... :drinks:

wow at this rate i could have 20cm by nthe end of the night! The snow is still coming in oxford! wow it dosnt stop which is great!

Posted
Amazing, it's started again !!

Good sized flakes, off we go again... :yahoo:

This looks like quite an event still some decent precip around, hopefully as temps fall below freezing every bit of snow will settle again, part of the problem during the day is depths have only really been maintained by the falling snow rather than increasing, oxfords inline for another decent spell :drinks::yahoo:

Posted
If the GFS 12z run comes to pass, it's certainly not happening on Saturday.

I want to moan like a whaling banshee......but I shall spare the board the aggro.

Posted
lol big fluffy flakes again here!! might go for some more sledging, :drinks:

Keep it coming this way, Tom. 4.5 inches here currently but still snowing although not as heavily as it has done.

Posted

Good luck to everyone still getting snow-

Anyway just a warning really-

As the snow 'eventually' clears this eve & possibly into the night I guess people will be tempted to get out & have a few snowball fights etc-

As we approach dusk & late evening- the temps especially over the midlands are going to drop like a stone - especially in areas with clearer skies-

Wrap up warm people- No cases of hyperthermia please.......

S

[/quote

Hi Steve what are your views on Saturday!

Brian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

snowing at long last here!!! hurray

temp down to 1.3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

im laughing alot as the sainsburs van on a private road over the road from me is stuck! lol the snow is up to 15-20cm in places now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It seems to have turned to rain in some coastal regions of Merseyside, Heswall is one of the few places with snow left lying around here

Posted

Metcheck has about 17cm of snow going for us on saturday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

GFS 12Z is certainly a downgrade for Saturday for the Midlands, but I don't think it's really any different to the 06Z for Scotland or northern England- the main differences are later in the run, as northern blocking holds more firm.

Posted
Metcheck has about 17cm of snow going for us on saturday!

Not a chance. Just look at the latest charts.

Also, I'm sceptical of some of the reports here about 15cm of lying snow. I hope people here no the difference between 'drifts' and actual representative snow-depth (e.g. I had 1 foot drifts in my football fields on December 2005....but 10cm lying generally).

Edited by PersianPaladin

Good luck to everyone still getting snow-

Anyway just a warning really-

As the snow 'eventually' clears this eve & possibly into the night I guess people will be tempted to get out & have a few snowball fights etc-

As we approach dusk & late evening- the temps especially over the midlands are going to drop like a stone - especially in areas with clearer skies-

Wrap up warm people- No cases of hyperthermia please.......

S

Brian.

Good for the Borders & possibly areas to the SE of that..... you are on the divide....

S

Posted
Not a chance. Just look at the latest charts.

Also, I'm sceptical of some of the reports here about 15cm of lying snow. I hope people here no the difference between 'drifts' and actual representative snow-depth (e.g. I had 1 foot drifts in my football fields on December 2005....but 10cm lying generally).

We have 7 - 8cms lying snow atm and counting, i think saturday will bring about 5cms before turning to rain here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
I want to moan like a whaling banshee......but I shall spare the board the aggro.

I know i've already posted this but it has to be the best forecast ever, more like a dreamcast.

100% risk of snow :D

post-3392-1170951030_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes:

This must be what will bring the risk of snow on Friday night / Saturday (in the southwest of the pic):

post-3392-1170951238_thumb.jpg

Source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

currently very light sleet in Milton Keynes, temperature hovering around 0c. What are the odds for a getting a few more showers?

Posted
We have 7 - 8cms lying snow atm and counting, i think saturday will bring about 5cms before turning to rain here

agree with the same here!

Posted

Brian.

Good for the Borders & possibly areas to the SE of that..... you are on the divide....

S

Hi Steve

Apologies if you have already been asked....

What`s your take on the press release from Met Office today with little current model support?

Edited by Tigers

Posted
I know i've already posted this but it has to be the best forecast ever, more like a dreamcast.

100% risk of snow :D

post-3392-1170951030_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes:

Teletext forecasts, in my experience...are sh*te.