Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
If I get the 30-40cm snow I got back in 1991....I will be a VERY happy man.

Sadly, that will never happen again.

I wouldn't be so sure. i think it could happen in the next 5 years somewhere in the UK.

We had 70 level cms from that fall in upland West Yorks. it was absolutely fantastic, a true countrywide event i think and at the time i had no idea that it would be the last time i would see such depth (by a long stretch) for 16 years (and counting). 2 weeks after the snowfall i went skiing on my birthday in the Pennines (back then snow was reliable enough in the winter for the ocassional farmer to be able put up a very basic snow tow and charged for use of a "slope" during the winter younger people may be interested to know) 3 weeks after the snowfall i had my first driving lesson and the snow was still packed high at the sides of the roads. However only a few years earlier in 1982 and 1986 we'd had similar amounts, in 1986 we had to be dug out by a JCB along with many neighbours. Whilst it was seen as "a lot" of snow, it wasn't so extreme as to expect a 20 year return period.

Such an event should be expected to come about once every 8 to 10 years by my estimation under the conditions we used to see in the 60s 70s and 80s. Even accounting for the "modern" winter, we are "overdue" ( i know some hate this terminology, but statistics are statistics) another '91 type event or perhaps even a more extreme one. The 91 event wasnt even slightly "marginal". In fact it could be argued that a more "marginal" version of the 91 type event could bring even more snow as at say 0 deg C air temps the atmosphere can hold more moisture than at -3 deg C but would likely still be snow.

Ahh memories....aint what they were!

Posted
Great stuff it seems it dosen't want to give in so easily in some places does it :rolleyes:

No the snow doesnt want to give in. The real disapointment for me today in the snow was nearly all the snow we have had so far is in them tiny little flakes. I am hopping they will get bigger later on berfore dieing out. otherwise i will have to wait for saturdays snow. (If it does snow on that day)

Posted

Been snowing lightly with some bigish flakes for like 2hours! not settling but temps droppin, might get a lil covering hmmmmm, hope for sat:D

Posted

fairly heavy snow in Milton Keynes now, going back outside to play!

Posted

Snow increasing here in intensity, hope this little lot just to the east of birmingham tops up what we have already :rolleyes: It just doesnt want to give up

Posted

For anyone across the NW Essex/NE Herts border that little band across oxfordshire is heading your way

Large flakes of snow reported across harlow right now

Should move across bishops stortford, stansted, dunmow and surrounding areas within the next 30 mins or so

Regards

Kris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
...and you've not had enough already???...

huh i just want to know.

Posted
Gone to light snow here but the direction which the snow is coming from looks bad. Heavy snow?

Do i have anymore snow coming today?

all i could suggest is to keep an eye on the radar. thats what im doing :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
all i could suggest is to keep an eye on the radar. thats what im doing :cc_confused:

anyone else know?

Posted
Gone to light snow here but the direction which the snow is coming from looks bad. Heavy snow?

Do i have anymore snow coming today?

Possibly 1 or 2 lighter flurries, but dont get too excited!!

Posted

It's still chucking it down here I've just been out and measured and it's 22cm (wish I had a digi camera), only a few drifts in the middle of trackway up to the road - I guess those are about 50cm just a thick heavy, wet blanket of snow. Currently -0.2C.

Tonights frost should prove interesting -3C predicted. If it clears even a little I reckon it'll be harder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Update - Heavy snow now falling. Unexpected, but this is turning out to be the best winter's day in a very long time !

Posted

Further wintry weather expected

Snow has fallen across many southern areas of the UK today and now things are slowly improving as the weather front begins to lose its strength. As things return to normal, Met Office forecasters' attention is turning to the possibility of further wintry weather over coming days.

Tonight and at first tomorrow (Friday), ice and fog could well be a problem for some areas, giving some tricky driving conditions. There is also a risk of some further snowfall over parts of Wales and north-west England during the day.

Through the weekend and early next week, there is a risk that weather systems could bring more wintry conditions with snow and ice to some parts. At this stage, the detail of these is not clear-cut and it is advisable to check the latest forecasts and travel conditions over coming days. The best weather advice and warnings can be found on the Met Office web site.

Transport networks are key aspects of the country’s infrastructure and the Met Office works with other major organisations in helping to keep the UK moving

Just read it-

the modelling looks good for snow for the NE & the borders but not at this stage furtehr south- they are getting fairly persistent with this now & a backtrack is less liekly than the last few days.......

S

Thanks Steve

It's still chucking it down here I've just been out and measured and it's 22cm (wish I had a digi camera), only a few drifts in the middle of trackway up to the road - I guess those are about 50cm just a thick heavy, wet blanket of snow. Currently -0.2C.

Tonights frost should prove interesting -3C predicted. If it clears even a little I reckon it'll be harder

drew where is your locale ( Exact) taking the camera out later....

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

drew where is your locale ( Exact) taking the camera out later....

S

Steve, The Oxforshire cell has pepped things up again here. That's causing the latest reports of heavy snow. Temp at 0.2C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
I think they are referring to the far north and east of Britain....particularly the higher ground.

GOOD, I hope so, because i've seen very little so far. :cc_confused:

Posted
i would rather know other than having to look out the window or using the radar. S does anyone know if i have any more snow coming today?

How are we meant to know without using the radar??? Seriously, 1 or 2 lighter flurries, maybe getting a bit heavier now and again, dont expect too much!

Posted
i would rather know other than having to look out the window or using the radar. S does anyone know if i have any more snow coming today?

Its unlikely although its not impossible, if theres nothing near you on the radar check back in an hour to see if things are any different

Posted

The temperatures are on their way back down now, most of england and wales should be down to freezing by 7pm, the exception being the south west.

edit - already some areas are down to 0, especially in the north and west midlands.

Edited by RisingStar

Posted

temp must have dropped below freezing as even this very light snow currently here is sticking to the car which i not long came back in

Currently getting heavier

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
Its unlikely although its not impossible, if theres nothing near you on the radar check back in an hour to see if things are any different

Definately not impossible.... had about 20 minutes of heavyish (small flaked) snow. Didnt expect it to continue this late here!!