Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
I think the north-east being one of the most reliable regions for snow comes from the fact that it's quite well poised to get snow from most cold synoptic setups- N, NE, E and SE all do the trick, and W/NW setups can sometimes deliver as well.

It's frequency, averaged over winters spanning a long period, rather than a tendency for the region to reliably get the lion's share of any snow events. In an easterly, or frontal battleground event, it's always been quite common for other regions to be affected more than the North East, and also for Newcastle to be appreciably warmer than London.

I agree with most of what you say....but I have to say that we get a lot more snow from easterly set up's than people further south and west. December 2005 was just one case in point of this.

It does of course....depend on whether there is a significant break-down event further south and west tho. If there isn't....then of course, us lot in the north-east get the lions share of (particularly dry!) snow.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

ppn in the Irish Sea looks to be intensifying could be interesting this evening for places in North Wales and the North. Snow is very heavy now, heaviest its been since 07:30. Going to go and and measure again soon. Looks like getting close to 20cm now.

Edited by Hywel

Posted
Ill show you a snowman!

post-5481-1170943571_thumb.jpg

In the building process:

post-5481-1170943615_thumb.jpg

The guy on the right in the first one is about 6'5

For all my photos, http://www.putfile.com/wellingtonboot/images

Wow.. now that's what I call proper snow, I'm so jealous lol. Btw this a great picture of yours http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4716912

Posted
I think the north-east being one of the most reliable regions for snow comes from the fact that it's quite well poised to get snow from most cold synoptic setups- N, NE, E and SE all do the trick, and W/NW setups can sometimes deliver as well.

Reminds me of TEITS story, where in a book he had bought when he was a child,

it stated that "You are more likely to see snow the further North and East

that you travel".

Please correct me if I'm wrong Dave! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

The snow does not want to stop. Just as it appears to be dieing away, another heavier pulse arrives. A quite magnificent snow event. Some 13 cm level snow in my garden :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
History teaches me that I get more snow than you, and much colder temperatures. Sadly, this winter it seems that things have gone pear-shaped.

That's the north sea and her accursed way above average SSTs - same problems here - unless we get very cold air the modifying effect of the North Sea and the relatively increased sea-track for E & NE will do for our chances. Unlikely to get better IMHO and will probably do for Saturday's 'event' just as it's done for this one

(here at least)

Posted

Metcheck are showing another full day of snow for me (South East Wales) on Saturday. Please can you tell me if this is likely - my boss won't be very appreciative of me needing to take another days holiday so I will need to send the kiddies to they're Grans the night before (she won't come out in the snow!!)

Thanks in advance

Posted
Just got back from a 5 mile walk with one of the dogs, the yorkie is too small and wouldn't be able to see over the snow lol!! enjoy!!!!!!

Lovely pictures. Nice one :D

Posted

Stopped snowing for the time being here, has been snowing lightly all day after some moderate snow showers began around 5.30am this morning.

1000161mv8.th.jpg

1000171rk0.th.jpg

1000174mv3.th.jpg

Around 6-7cm of snow has settled here on average, but in the patio area of my garden I measured a massive 12cm:

1000189fm5.th.jpg

Hope you like these photos, I am quite proud of them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

February 1991 was interesting in that the North East was one of the most affected areas (I recall seeing a report of 40cm in Durham, and it was my first memory of snow in South Shields). Yet temperatures were around freezing up here for most of the time, whereas "down south" sub-zero maxima were widespread- obviously in that kind of setup, higher SSTs would thus have more of an effect further north.

I certainly think this region is one of the most prone to precipitation from easterly scenarios- with a large expanse of North Sea for polar continental airmasses to pass over. It just needs to be cold enough...

Posted
February 1991 was interesting in that the North East was one of the most affected areas (I recall seeing a report of 40cm in Durham, and it was my first memory of snow in South Shields). Yet temperatures were around freezing up here for most of the time, whereas "down south" sub-zero maxima were widespread- obviously in that kind of setup, higher SSTs would thus have more of an effect further north.

Hehee.....brings back memories of my childhood.

Will we ever get snow like that again here? I really don't think so with AGW.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

still snowing here!!! getting heavy again quite an event to be honest

Posted

Well left for work at 10, and having seen the radar and forecasts then i expected the radar to show far less than it currently does, having said that the snow has only been very light to say the least but doesnt look like stopping as early as forecast based on the current situation. snow of around 2" deep here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
Hehee.....brings back memories of my childhood.

Will we ever get snow like that again here? I really don't think so with AGW.

And there's me thinking my 13 cm is an absolute pasting lol.

Posted

Just started snowing again heavily here, looks like the irish sea has an influence on the ppn over north wales, the wirral and the cheshire gap. I wonder how long this will last? :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I certainly think this region is one of the most prone to precipitation from easterly scenarios- with a large expanse of North Sea for polar continental airmasses to pass over. It just needs to be cold enough...

That event gave us around 30cm of Level snow along the top of the Wolds - the drifts piled up to window height along the easterly facing side of our house at the time (which was in a pretty exposed position).

Ahhh - the contrast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

has someone switched on a snowmachine over brum it just keeps on snowing ,now have 4-5 inch's level snow but deeper in the drifts

Posted

I have an announcement to make. We've just had a snowflake! I'm sure I saw one, mixed in with the rain. This is hysterical:) When I moved north a few years back all my southern friends commented on the cold snowy winters I'd be experiencing. Come to the Riveria on the North East is more like it...

We usually do well here in the Tees Valley from an easterly/north-easterly but this year it simply hasn't been cold enough. I have my doubts about Saturday as well.

Posted
I have an announcement to make. We've just had a snowflake! I'm sure I saw one, mixed in with the rain. This is hysterical:) When I moved north a few years back all my southern friends commented on the cold snowy winters I'd be experiencing. Come to the Riveria on the North East is more like it...

We usually do well here in the Tees Valley from an easterly/north-easterly but this year it simply hasn't been cold enough. I have my doubts about Saturday as well.

Where abouts in Teesside are you?

Posted

:yahoo: -->

QUOTE(phil b @ 8 Feb 2007, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
has someone switched on a snowmachine over brum it just keeps on snowing ,now have 4-5 inch's level snow but deeper in the drifts

I noticed that too on the radar im hoping it comes this way but it seems to lose some intensity as it does so, still been snowing here all day, and have 2", could just do with some really heavy bursts to cover up the roads and places where people have walked :D

Posted
A few pics of me and my kids and the dogs playing in the snow today, the snow was stinging our faces as it was driving at us.
:yahoo: I think those pictures are really cute.

It's beautiful to see the children enjoying themselves, rather special precious moments

IMO.

My dogs would get lost in all that snow as they are two little white JackRussell/Border

Terriers :D

Brian.