Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
Will the rain showers in the west and southwest turn back to snow when they hit colder air in the south east and south midlands area?

SEE MY POST BELOW

Hi guys,

6 Inch of snow today in hatfield. Absolutley amazing and I am thrilled....... Dont care if it doesnt snow again this winter... Today makes up for that.... Last time I remeber snow like that was the 90's.

Anyway Attention for the guys in North London and home counties.

There is currently a band of heavy Precip moving eastwards or NE along the M4 Corridor!! once this hits N London home counties....

Could we see another hour of snow???? YES i think we could. It may be wet snow but as it settles on snow coverd ground it shouldnt melt..

See Below: Taken from meteo24 radar it shows the predicted time of where the precip will be at 3pm, Notice its approaching NW N London, into herts.....

http://www.meteo24.com/uk/index.php?q=radar

Posted
SEE MY POST BELOW

Hi guys,

6 Inch of snow today in hatfield. Absolutley amazing and I am thrilled....... Dont care if it doesnt snow again this winter... Today makes up for that.... Last time I remeber snow like that was the 90's.

Anyway Attention for the guys in North London and home counties.

There is currently a band of heavy Precip moving eastwards or NE along the M4 Corridor!! once this hits N London home counties....

Could we see another hour of snow???? YES i think we could. It may be wet snow but as it settles on snow coverd ground it shouldnt melt..

See Below: Taken from meteo24 radar it shows the predicted time of where the precip will be at 3pm, Notice its approaching NW N London, into herts.....

http://www.meteo24.com/uk/index.php?q=radar

You posted that enough times already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

The lying snow is fighting to hang on but temps have risen to 4.8C

Posted
Current snow depth in my garden, 11.5 cm with areas up to 16 cm. :)

16cm of snow ha we got 17mm of rain since midnight so their :D

Posted

snowfall picking up again now - bigger flakes. Nice little top-up. That band on the radar must have arrived. :D

Posted
This country is rubbish, can't even get one day of a winter wonderland. Raining here now.

I fear that it will turn to rain soon here!

The snow is already showing signs of thawing and the sun is trying to break through. :D

Posted

Its a shame that we cant get the -10 mid-level isotherm over into eastern and central Britain (it is progged to stay well out in the eastern north sea). We need a proper Beast from the East. This would be similar to December 2005 (when I got 10cm of dry powdery snow that lasted for over 2 days) but only better.....with areas further west affected.

Saturday = close, but no cigar IMO.

Edited by PersianPaladin

I fear that it will turn to rain soon here!

The snow is already showing signs of thawing and the sun is trying to break through. :D

Yep, very annoying. We had a nice amount of snow and looked forward to a nice walk up the mountains in a winter wonderland. Instead I got soaked by the rain. Snow is struggling to hang on now, grr. Snow's overrated anyway, bring on summer.

Posted
Its a shame that we cant get the -10 mid-level isotherm over into eastern and central Britain (it is progged to stay well out in the eastern north sea). We need a proper Beast from the East. This would be similar to December 2005 (when I got 10cm of dry powdery snow that lasted for over 2 days) but only better.....with areas further west affected.

well there's still time in the next couple of weeks. we've had as much here ( in the mildest winter for ages lol) than we have had for quite a few years and i reckon probably the deepest for 5 years. still 3 inches is not amazing though, my partner has lived in Canada for many years and wondered what the big deal was this morning when i was jumping around like a 2 year old.

really trying hard to sound like i'm not griping . will be playing in the snow in the park later!

Posted

To save time and hassle of members clicking on each pic I have put these together in a movie. I have also added a little something at the end for WIB. :D

Posted

Moderate snow again here in Coalville after it eased off for a while. Hopefully get a couple more cm before it clears/dies out. Temperature slightly above freezing now, so a slight thaw occurring in prone spots... http://www.photoweather.com/aws

Posted

hi all please stop moaning about the snow melting ect snow does tend to do that... For those of us who have had NO snow at all i wanner hear about all the snow you have got.. Not about people complaining.. Just think how lucky you are and have been..

keep the pics coming in thanks i also wanner see someone doing a snow angel heheheh...

lol kaz xx

Edited by kaz

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
To save time and hassle of members clicking on each pic I have put these together in a movie. I have also added a little something at the end for WIB. :lol:

Lol, TEITS, lol!

Posted
Saturday = close, but no cigar IMO.

That is what I thought when I saw the charts Yesterday, It looked a bit marginal,

However, I haven't had time to see any charts since the 00z.

So I take it they are'nt any better then P.P. that's if you have seen them.

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted
It started snowing here in West Cambs at about 6am and hasn't stopped yet. We haven't had huge flakes, but it's been light and steady. Now got about 3 inches. If the flakes had been bigger I'm sure we'd be buried under several feet. According to BBC weather, looks like another band of snow will hit us around tea time. Not looking forward to the freeze tonight, though

Actually you'll be interested to know that big snow flakes are less effective at building snow depths than smaller ones. Big flakes mean the snow is wet, because the different flakes are sticking together on the way down. And wet snow is much less efficient regards water to snow conversion. while good dry snow in this country might see 1mm of rain equal 1cm of snow, big wet snow might have a ratio of 1mm rain to 4 or 5mm snow, so less than half as good. Plus big snow flakes melt quicker and turn icy and slushy quicker and infect the rest of the snowpack.

Posted
To save time and hassle of members clicking on each pic I have put these together in a movie. I have also added a little something at the end for WIB. :lol:

Very good. I turned the sound down just in case the end bit made everyone jump!!

I just burst out laughing with the GW/Arsey bit. I bet WIB finds it very funny too! :lol:

Posted
Any news from Abingdon ?

Snowbound and cut off with 3m drifts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

Just saw on local tv weather Merseyside hasen't seen the worst of it with another band of snow soon to arrive. only had about 2-3cm and it had started to melt but light snow beginning to fall again now and should get worser as the temperature drops hopefully. :lol:

Posted
hi all please stop moaning about the snow melting ect snow does tend to do that... For those of us who have had NO snow at all i wanner hear about all the snow you have got.. Not about people complaining.. Just think how lucky you are and have been..

keep the pics coming in thanks

lol kaz xx

Ok no moans - 5 -6 cm of level snow in Brockwell Park, SW London, this morning. Think it should still be there for a crunch walk this evening!

Posted
That is what I thought when I saw the charts Yesterday, It looked a bit marginal,

However, I haven't had time to see any charts since the 00z.

So I take it they are'nt any better then P.P. that's if you have seen them.

Marginal. Marginal. Marginal.

The Atlantic is never too far away and this is pushing the influence of the Scandi-high back. Typical signs of the 'even larger teapot'....despite the cold-ramping doubters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

What a great morning playing out in the 3 inches of snow we have had. We had two snowmen built by 0930

and have just been for a walk on the common and came back soaked from thawing leaf-drip in the woods.

Now we have bright sunshine at 5.4°C and nearly all the snow has gone or will be in the next hour or two.

The snowmen have collapsed into large piles of slush and the bright orange carrots contrast starkly with the

dark green of the long grass in which they lie - alone. Oh well - another winter over. I feel a song coming on!