Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
Congrats on the snow Brian, for me it look as if any heavier PPN will miss me though B)

Thanks James,

It's started to slow a little now here, but my 2 year old son is watching it out of the window

Which I think are priceless moments. B)

Posted

I really doubt we will see anything in the south on friday or saturday.

I think any snow will fall from the midlands northwards.

It will be just a tad too warm in the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

wow i am speechless, bbc this morning showed no snow reaching York, the metoffice took away their heavy snow warning thsi morning i had no hope what so ever and along trundled a very heavy snow shower which sat over us for about an hour giving us a decent amount of snow :D

Posted

It started snowing here in West Cambs at about 6am and hasn't stopped yet. We haven't had huge flakes, but it's been light and steady. Now got about 3 inches. If the flakes had been bigger I'm sure we'd be buried under several feet. According to BBC weather, looks like another band of snow will hit us around tea time. Not looking forward to the freeze tonight, though

Posted

Hi guys,

6 Inch of snow today in hatfield. Absolutley amazing and I am thrilled....... Dont care if it doesnt snow again this winter... Today makes up for that.... Last time I remeber snow like that was the 90's.

Anyway Attention for the guys in North London and home counties.

There is currently a band of heavy Precip moving eastwards or NE along the M4 Corridor!! once this hits N London home counties....

Could we see another hour of snow???? YES i think we could. It may be wet snow but as it settles on snow coverd ground it shouldnt melt..

See Below: Taken from meteo24 radar it shows the predicted time of where the precip will be at 3pm, Notice its approaching NW N London, into herts.....

http://www.meteo24.com/uk/index.php?q=radar

Edited by Jude_foster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!
Hi guys,

6 Inch of snow today in hatfield. Absolutley amazing and I am thrilled....... Dont care if it doesnt snow again this winter... Today makes up for that.... Last time I remeber snow like that was the 90's.

There is currently a band of heavy Precip moving eastwards or NE along the M4 Corridor!! once this hits N London home counties....

Could we see another hour of snow???? YES i think we could. It may be wet snow but as it settles on snow coverd ground it shouldnt melt..

See Below: Taken from meteo24 radar it shows the predicted time of where the precip will be at 3pm, Notice its approaching NW N London, into herts.....

thank you!

Posted
wow i am speechless, bbc this morning showed no snow reaching York, the metoffice took away their heavy snow warning thsi morning i had no hope what so ever and along trundled a very heavy snow shower which sat over us for about an hour giving us a decent amount of snow :D

Yes although very light it is still snowing here now!.

As you say I didn't expect this as ther was absolutely nothing when I

got up and I thought it was all over.

What's it like where you are now.

Posted

just had a massive hail storm huge hail with sleet rummbles of thunder now so dark had to put light on... Hail has stayed where it fell \o/yay its a little white..

lol kaz xx

Posted

Still got light sleet here combined with a rise in temps anyway is causing a thaw to occur here but I'm happy enough, I honestly didn't expect 8cms this morning, I personally expected 1-2cms so to get a good 4 times what I expected has made me very happy!

Main atteniton now will shift to the north and the possiblity of snow for N.England and Scotland on Saturday, hopefully the areas that haven't had much snow so far in this cold snap could well see some more snow as the depression drives in fro the SW, this one looks like the real deal and far stronger and therefore it will have less trouble getting north.

Given we are now on the wrong side of the front that line of precip that Jude mentioned will be much more marginal, though the snow cover presently may help it may also melt the whole lot away, I'm not sure but its very tight, upper air temps suggest no but the surface profiles even now are still cold so not sure.

Some stunning images on the beeb right now, really pretty.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Saturday looks like sleet\wet snow for those living within 10 miles of the east coast; mainly due to the strengthening onshore winds.

Temps here forecast to be typically 4C with dewpoints slightly above freezing: -

post-3900-1170940296_thumb.png

:D

Posted
Still got light sleet here combined with a rise in temps anyway is causing a thaw to occur here but I'm happy enough, I honestly didn't expect 8cms this morning, I personally expected 1-2cms so to get a good 4 times what I expected has made me very happy!

Main atteniton now will shift to the north and the possiblity of snow for N.England and Scotland on Saturday, hopefully the areas that haven't had much snow so far in this cold snap could well see some more snow as the depression drives in fro the SW, this one looks like the real deal and far stronger and therefore it will have less trouble getting north.

Kold see my post i posted a few mins ago, What do you think?

Hi guys,

Posted
The best aspect of this weeks cold snap is that it has proved yet again that a deep cold pool is still not required to produce a good snowfall in this country and it puts into perspective the comments repeated so often that we 'tipped beyond the margins' in this respect. Particularly when you take into account how stupidly mild Dec and the first two thirds of January were. It also means that this winter cannot ow be compared to the worst winters like 88/89 or to take one of the worst prior to the socalled mini ice-age of 78/79 - the winter of 74/75. I can remember all the poor one's then as clearly (but not fondly) like the good one's of the 60's 70's and 80's.

It also, comparatively, suggests that when, say, a Feb 91 type event does finally come along, as I'm sure it will, we can expect conditions every bit as potent now as they were then.

Tamara

this is true in a way and i'm glad everyone is enjoying the snow, i am. however when i went outside and walked through the park this morning on my way to the tube (no biking today!) i noticed that the 5cm of snow was of the soggy atlantic variety, rather than the continental type. the atlantic snow type never really lasts i'm afraid, we need to see like you say another '91 and a foot of dry , easterly powder snow again before i will be convinced it can really happen like in the old days.

Posted
this is true in a way and i'm glad everyone is enjoying the snow, i am. however when i went outside and walked through the park this morning on my way to the tube (no biking today!) i noticed that the 5cm of snow was of the soggy atlantic variety, rather than the continental type. the atlantic snow type never really lasts i'm afraid, we need to see like you say another '91 and a foot of dry , easterly powder snow again before i will be convinced it can really happen like in the old days.

This is why the whole of the UK grinds to a halt when we have snow because its sticky and cant be blown aways like it is over in the usa..

Edited by kaz

Posted

moderate snow still coming down, 18cm now with drifts up to 1m :D Saturday is looking very interesting.

Will try and get pics later if I can get down to my parents to get the camera.

Posted
I'm very pleased to see so many are getting a significant snowfall. :D

Hi Tamara I am sad about that, I was hoping that you would do well from this

event, I remember you saying yesterday though that you were quite confident that you wouldn't see very much.

I really wish everyone could have had a bit of this as I know how much it means to

some people.

Brian! :)

Posted

Wet snow falling again now....but it aint settling because the ground is just soaking. Temps too marginal too; as it was raining\sleeting about 20 mins ago.

Posted

well we have got about 2cm of snow lying here in Grantham, Lincs at the minute. Does Saturday look any better for us in the east midland and if so what can we expect?

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

We've got crisp snow here, jimmyay. I went for a walk this morning and it was dry and crunchy under foot. Still snowing now. Tiny granules though. I know what you mean about soggy Atlantic snow though. That's the kind I really detest, the slushy grey sort.

Posted
1300z radar PP snowshield in full effect, as band snow moving North from North Yorkshire begins to fragment as it nears Co Durham :D:)

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

I think Saturday may deliver to people who live above 700 feet in the north-east (and preferably a few miles inland from the coast). Sleet and cold rain for the rest of us Tyne&Wear\Teesside folk though.

:)