Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May CET

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Not especially wet. 1996 was on the drier side of average, the other two on the wetter side of average.

Thankyou Mr_Data :good: It is amazing that the second coldest May in the last 107 years (May 1996) was fairly dry.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
According to Philip Eden's site the CET remains at 12.2C (May 1 -28). In fact there was a 0.1c drop from 12.25C to 12.15C but rounding down yesterday and rounding up today kept the "headline figure" the same.

Probably rounded down by now :)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Is today likely to knock the CET back again?????

Posted

Does anybody remember where the CET sights are now. ?

As to what effect today will have ?, that depends on the exact location of the sights.

Obs show most of the country at between 11-14C atm. Going down to 1 - 4C tonight, so there will obviously be another drop, but the average could be anywhere between 5C to 9C depending on exact location.

I would probably expect it to go down to 12.07 by tomorrow, but that is a rough guess, rounded up to 12.1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

So yesterdays low temps did not push the CET down a bit then, still on 12.2? thats crazy! :)

Posted
So yesterdays low temps did not push the CET down a bit then, still on 12.2? thats crazy! B)

Today I'm sure will take it down to 12.0 or 12.1C and with minima of 0C to 4C :) in the CET zone tonight I would hazard a guess at 11.9C or 12.0C by Thursday with no change for the final day of the month.

Posted
So yesterdays low temps did not push the CET down a bit then, still on 12.2? thats crazy! B)

Apparently it went down from 12.25 to 12.15 - not sure where this data is

Thankyou Mr_Data :) It is amazing that the second coldest May in the last 107 years (May 1996) was fairly dry.

Not surprising at all really as the only way to get very low CETs in May would be very low minimas which would only occur under clear skies

A look at the archive charts for May 1996 show that High Pressure over Greenland frequently ridged towards the UK and at that time of year that is the coldest sympnotics you can get. There was an easterly as well for a few days (which might not have been that cold). Things turned a bit more mobile in the last third of the month but it never really warmed up until the very end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I should hope so, its been anything but mild around this way apart from a couple of days last week, hail showers and chilly wind again today, god the below average Mays of yesteryear must have been well miserable!

Posted
Is today likely to knock the CET back again?????

Another fall is likely today, although at this stage of the month and changes to the overall figure will be subtle.

I think we can be fairly sure (barring any freaks of nature) that we will end up between 11.9 and 12.1 at month end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Wow we're 0.3C above average. Depending on tonight it could get knocked down a little further. But either way for us it's the end of the stupidly warm months we've been having.

Posted
So yesterdays low temps did not push the CET down a bit then, still on 12.2? thats crazy! :cc_confused:

I don`t think yesterday`s been counted yet quite, I say it may end up at 11.9c which is 0.6c above average.

http://www.climate-uk.com/graphs/200705.htm

This is interesting though with the 2nd coldest may day on record at Heathrow of 7.9c!!! colder than here on Sunday!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...st_weather.html

Posted

I think some local stations probably broke their all time lows for May. 7.9c for London is astonishingly cold for late May. I bet if it had been record warmth it would have made the headlines.

Here the maximum temperature was 7.4c and minimum 2.9c. That's a 24 hour mean temperature of 5.1c. 8.9c below average for the second half of May!

Certainly a memorable day.

As for the CET, a cold night tonight. Expect it to be around 11.8c by tomorrow.

Posted
I think some local stations probably broke their all time lows for May. 7.9c for London is astonishingly cold for late May. I bet if it had been record warmth it would have made the headlines.

Yes those temperatures would be consistent the opposite way around (i.e above average) with some 30 plus temps, so for once a notable cold plunge (if brief!)

Hadley 12.2 to the 28th the same as Manley, would expect it to drop to perhaps a solid 12 today (as its rounded up as it stands) and tonights chilly returns in conjunction with tomorrow may see it down to the high 11s with a day to go, I cannot see the Spring record being broken from here and at long last we look like seeing a month below its own 10 year mean and cooler than last years May. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Posted

Well even our Euro friends are complaining about this crazy weather and how unseasonal things have become. Parts of the Alps had very little snow this winter of course, well today it is still snowing with up to half a meter of fresh snow at many of the resorts above around 1000m. Even in Italy it has snowed and not just in the Northern Alpine areas, also in the central Appenines but at altitute(above 1500m/1600m), still exceptional for this time of the year. Temps of over +30c that have been around for much of the mid/late Spring period in the Alpine valleys are today struggling to get into double figures!

Posted

I would of thought so... the only news it made was that it was the coldest day cricket was ever played and the low maxes were shown with 6.6c as the lowest...as for the 4.9c not sure where that was but thats a pretty cold day in an 80`s winter let alone end of May amazing!!!!

To get record low temps is much harder to get these days so it should`ve made the headlines!

Posted

A chilly night tonight certainly but with widespread 16's tomorrow and even a 19 or 20 (using latest GFS) with nighttime temps of between 6 and 10 I would expect the CET to start climbing again for the last two days.

Posted

It has been great to see the weather over the last few days - a throwback really with a low pressure system sitting where I think they often used to sit and hang around for days. It really is very rare today (in these parts anyway) to have two days of continuous rainfall - fantastic.

The low temperatures have been really interesting too because the recent synoptics just don't happen much anymore - low pressure sitting just in the right place out in the North sea dragging cold air round the northern flank and simply not moving anywhere very quickly. Great to see. Any more out there waiting in the wings...?

However, coming down to earth, a disappointing May many would say is still going to be almost a degree above the long term average it seems. Just can't get away from the warming trend but at least it's been a nice distraction.

Moose

Posted
A chilly night tonight certainly but with widespread 16's tomorrow and even a 19 or 20 (using latest GFS) with nighttime temps of between 6 and 10 I would expect the CET to start climbing again for the last two days.

tonight and tomorrow shouldn't see a rise - tonight looks like recording perhaps an average of 5 across the CET zone and tomorrow at perhaps 17 average 11 for the day (a slight drop) - the fnal day of the month may see it peg up 0.1 or so

Basically we have

overnight Monday and today - slight drop

tonight and tomorrow - probable slight drop

tomorrow night and Thursday - probable slight rise

Posted

Not really http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...st&p=989214

6 inches of snow over the bank holiday in Norwich - that's astonishingly cold!!! :cc_confused:

Posted

Cricket play has also been disrupted due to SNOW in the past, think it was Mr Holmes that pointed this out the other day, was it 2nd June 1975? Could be wrong about that date though...

Posted

Well, who would have thought that Heathrow would record its 2nd coldest May day on record in 2007? After so many records falling during the last year for warmth, amazing indeed! Just a pity it wasn't the coldest day on record really. Perhaps we'll get some record cold days later in the year like in December!

:cc_confused:

I should the think the May CET will end up at 12. Colder than expected but still above average.

:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Not too sure if this is the right place to post this question so, apologies if I'm wrong...I remember reading something earlier in the spring something about a polar circulation of some sort changing phase this year, vague memories of it being a thirty odd year cyclical thing (sorry for being so vague, lousy memory); could this have anything to do with the cooler May this year? If so, could our weather cycles be reverting back to how they used to be in the 70's/80's?

Posted

The record Spring looks out of reach now (if Hadley and Manley are identical!) - 15.1 per day required to get 12.2 and equal the record which after a cold night looks out of the question. May drop to 11.9 today (inclusive of last nights figure) and then hold firm or rise to 12 tomorrow. 12.1 at the highest I think, 11.9 the lowest.