Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Snow of the season!

Posted

This year i think 7th October for an English location.

Presumably, er, Tamworth, or perhaps Pontefract. Are there any other snow domes out there?

Telford doesn't count, it's clearly a freak and non-standard location.

...On the GFS run now it's showing some snow for northen scotland area for the 11th october which is the second week of october.

Although some changes are likely by the next run it looks pretty interesting, I wonder if it will continue to show that weather...?

I didn't realise GFS had upgraded their service offering to show snow. In any case, the charts I can see don't show anything of the sort.

I can see SATSIGs is going to be mobilising early this year.

Posted

Have had first sprinkling of snow on the tops of the mountains behind our house during the night, its only September :girl_devil:

Posted
Picture from Nov 1965 at Woodland,Co Durham.

Snow at Woodland

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

That is a lovely sight that picture Tucco :ph34r:

That is the sort of scene I dream about :girl_devil:

Brian :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

Cairngorms getting a dusting then -

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/cams/image2.jpg

How many is that so far this Autmn?

Ned

Posted

Ned

Actually the marketing department employs someone to go out periodically with a sack of salt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

Ned

great picture ned, ski-ing season could be good this year for scotland. :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

In terms of the first snowfall on lower levels, I think the first snow shower could be mid- november. Charts seem to show a major cooling period preceding and continuing through the winter months, therefore all that is needed is some frontal movement from the east or the north to bring snow. :):rolleyes:

Posted
feb 16th in england if we are lucky

Speak for yourself mate! We'll of had snow by the end of November at the latest, i'm pretty sure we always have snow in November even if it doesn't settle. :)

Posted

I think November as well. Usually here we get a snowfall lat the end of November. Doesn't see to snow a lot in December he though.

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
I think November as well. Usually here we get a snowfall lat the end of November. Doesn't see to snow a lot in December he though.

I remember getting about 2 inches of snow from this http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00220041119.gif

on the 18th November 2004. A very cold day with rain and the cold air moving southwards undercut and turned the rain to snow in the early evening. What was surprising to me was that I remember that being a Thursday and the lying snow didn't completely disappear until the Monday. I've always believed lying snow is a possibility, even on lower ground from mid-November onwards and had seen it many times growing up in North Yorkshire, but it happened here in the East Midlands too.

I completely agree that aside from perhaps the last two weeks of November, that for a long long time December always seems to poor for snow prospects until Christmas week.

In fact taking a bit of a stab in the dark, I think this was the last time I remember snow in the first couple of weeks in December http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219901209.gif

I might be wrong, but I remember the "Clothes Show Live" nearly being snowed off in Birmingham. I think it was the 8th December 1990.

I remember also because motorists got trapped in snow on the A66 and A1 close to Scotch Corner. In fact I think people were stranded on Bowes Moor, some trapped in their cars and those who got out spent several nights at the Bowes Moor Hotel without electricity.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Although thinking about it I may be confusing that with another event about the same time, it was a saturday evening and raining. Next thing it was snowing heavily and didn't stop for a good 8 or 9 hours dumping about a foot of very heavy wet snow, which was all gone by the Monday. Interesting thing about that was it was quite localised to south Durham/Teesside and NE Yorkshire. What was annoying though was that is was never forecasted and even at midnight on the last BBC forecast before closedown they were still forecasting rain, despite by that time about 6 inches had already been dumped. Only the local weatherman on BBC Radio Cleveland acknowledgled it.

Anyway both events were around that time in earlyish December, and those are the last times I remember snow falling in that period. A good 17 odd years ago.

I remember wet snow flurries on the 4th October 1994 whilst shopping in Middlesbrough town centre the day before I headed off to University from this chart

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219941004.gif

giving a light dusting on the tops of the North York Moors, Urra Moor.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Hi Mackerel. I think you are right with the Thursday event. If my memory serves me correctly, I was started driving back from Hull in the afternoon/late afternoon, and by the time I got to the M1/M18 junction, it was sleeting, and then about 4-5 miles down the road, it had turned to snow. Got quite a bit of snow further north of South Derbyshire, but at home, we only had about 0.5-1 inch of settled snow.

Posted

I can remember snow in Surrey when I was about 16 yrs old in early november. It was that fine grain easterly wind type snow that did not amount to a huge amount but I always remember it settling as a powdery type cover . Looking at the archive charts I think I have identified it as 4th-5th November 1980.

I cant post the link but check out the chart archive for the dates. anyone remember this event ???

Always remember being amazed to see it so early

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Ah, it's great to be talking about winter weather once more. :lol: It's just so much more exciting and interesting to look out for and forecast, and with such a cooling trend seeming to be taking place this year, things certainly seem to be going in the right direction. A major factor is what take place in the east, although with that in mind in russia last year records were broken, and we were in for a reasonable let down. So we'll need to wait until the middle of next month to be more certain of the first snowfall. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
I remember getting about 2 inches of snow from this http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00220041119.gif

on the 18th November 2004. A very cold day with rain and the cold air moving southwards undercut and turned the rain to snow in the early evening. What was surprising to me was that I remember that being a Thursday and the lying snow didn't completely disappear until the Monday. I've always believed lying snow is a possibility, even on lower ground from mid-November onwards and had seen it many times growing up in North Yorkshire, but it happened here in the East Midlands too.

I completely agree that aside from perhaps the last two weeks of November, that for a long long time December always seems to poor for snow prospects until Christmas week.

In fact taking a bit of a stab in the dark, I think this was the last time I remember snow in the first couple of weeks in December http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219901209.gif

I might be wrong, but I remember the "Clothes Show Live" nearly being snowed off in Birmingham. I think it was the 8th December 1990.

I remember also because motorists got trapped in snow on the A66 and A1 close to Scotch Corner. In fact I think people were stranded on Bowes Moor, some trapped in their cars and those who got out spent several nights at the Bowes Moor Hotel without electricity.

i remember that snow of 18th november 2004 was a mild morning here as well then turned to heavy snow at 5pm, even at 76m asl i had a good covering although here it was gone by the weekend www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120041118.gif, the chart for midnight shows it mild but with arctic air moving in

Posted

Now then, my mum, who is not known for her exaggeration, claims that there was, probably, some white stuff on top of Cross Fell early this morning. This makes sense, as last night hovered around 4º for me and we had drizzle on and off. Cross Fell, being well over 2000ft higher up would have been much colder.

I think England might have had its first snow last night, but have absolutely no proof whatsoever.

Telford.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Good, I am so pleased the first signs of snow has showed up in the North.

My general feeling now is we are all doomed.

Sorry I drifted a little there, I'll start again, Its not fair you Northerners always get the first snow and I am a Northerner.

Bognor Regis. :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all,

Woke up to the first snowfall of the season. Covering down to 1400m.

C

post-3489-1190974042_thumb.png

post-3489-1190974401_thumb.jpg

Edited by carinthian

Posted

You need not travel all the way to Austria C the snow has appeared in Scotland :shok:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highla...nds/7018182.stm Yippeeeee :shok:

Posted
You need not travel all the way to Austria C the snow has appeared in Scotland :shok:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highla...nds/7018182.stm Yippeeeee :shok:

Yep can relate to that. Can see snow directly from my window on top of the mountains, only a dusting though at the moment. :shok: :lol: ;);)

Posted

You are very lucky shadow :shok: I hope you report drifting snow soon :shok: