Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy rain/storms Thurs 19/7 - Sat 21/7

Posted

Absolutely lashing down with rain here and just had lightning/thunder right overhead (counted 1 second between). 'Nice' surprise but it frightened the life out of me as I was not expecting it!

Posted

Morning all, Very strange skies here this morning. To my W/SW its much lighter yet to my E/NE its very dark indeed with a blanket of stormy looking cloud.

Just light rain here at the moment - and have got the lounge light on, thats how dark it is!!

Posted

hi all.. I did ask yesterday but no one answerd but please help.. im driving up to Bracknell today on the A303 M3 ive delayed leaving untill 11am because im hoping that the main rain band would have passed northwards by then. Does anyone think im going to run into any probs..

thanks for any help

lol kaz x

Posted

We had a light shower early hours of this morning in Dulwich; in the West End at work now and thhere's a few spots of rain , its very dark, like a November mormnig incredibly humid People at work are joking "we're all going to drown" . hope not - i'm on the second floor!

PS can see streetlights coming on in Oxford Street - that's how dark it is!

Posted

Morning all! Woke up at 7.30 and the ground was hardly wet, I was thinking this is a non-event but since 8am it's been non-stop heavy rain and we're now getting thunder and lightening!

Posted
hi all.. I did ask yesterday but no one answerd but please help.. im driving up to Bracknell today on the A303 M3 ive delayed leaving untill 11am because im hoping that the main rain band would have passed northwards by then. Does anyone think im going to run into any probs..

thanks for any help

lol kaz x

Kaz...By bbc no!

they reckon Devon/Cornwall are missing the worst

dont know where Bracknell is though

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I'd now say it's heavy rain in Cheltenham... it's gradually been intensifying since early this morning and it's not showing any signs yet of letting up. I might go around town a bit later and see if there are any flood problems / get some pics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Bracknell's in Berkshire so I'd say that you do have a risk of getting caught in some storms/ heavy rain; at least I expect it won't be a completely dry journey. Wish I could help more but I'm not too sure :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks like sferics now across a lot of southern England. Could be an interesting day down there today. I'm probably too far north though to see anything from this.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
Morning all! Woke up at 7.30 and the ground was hardly wet, I was thinking this is a non-event but since 8am it's been non-stop heavy rain and we're now getting thunder and lightening!

must be on its way here then. how fast is the band moving?

Posted

Heavy, persistent rain with torrential bursts here in Northampton this morning. I woke up at around 8.50am and it had already started, but it can't have been raining for long as the Pitsford Hall site was still showing 0mm rain at 8.45am.

Posted

Never thought I'd use the word 'torrential' on my reports, but today, well never seen rain and thunder like this!

Posted
Looks like sferics now across a lot of southern England. Could be an interesting day down there today. I'm probably too far north though to see anything from this.

yea I noticed that..things turning electric

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Morning all. Well not that much to report here in Cheam although it is so dark.Pretty wet but only drizzly type rain. Just can't believe how dark it is and feels so like autumn.

Posted

thanks for any help

lol kaz x

It will be tricky, according to the radar, Kaz. Watch out for surface spray more than anything else.

Have a safe journey.

Regards,

Mike.

Edited by Winston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I am about 12 miles from Bracknell and it is absolutely hissing it down here and has done since 0630.

There were a few flash/bangs about half an hour ago but that has rumbled off toward Godalming.

It's strange as I was under the impression these cells were moving NW but the lower cloud is moving

SE. Anyone know why?

Andy

Posted

With upper low pressure gradually deepening and drifting eastward, the surface area of heavy rainfall is likely to show some tendency to rotate around a line from about Andover south to IOW, keeping some of the heaviest rain quasi-stationary over south central England. There may also be a tendency for the heavy rain area to expand further north gradually, and also for a second wave to develop for the southeast later on. Given all of that, totals of 100-150 mms seem possible to me in a few places mainly to the west of London, and there could be some severe flooding as a result.

Saturday, the situation only changes slightly with a more convective organization developing and a somewhat further north concentration to the heaviest rainfalls, say closer to Banbury, Luton and Rugby. Some areas will continue to get very heavy rain both days, but the weekend amounts will be more like 25-75 mms for maximum values.

As for the question that Kaz raised, I would advise against this trip personally, I think you will run into very heavy rain about halfway there and could be in some danger of being delayed or diverted by flooding, if it's not an essential trip I would leave it for next week some time. Not much point in waiting because the situation is not likely to become better or worse with time as the heaviest rainfall will remain roughly where it is now.

Posted
I am about 12 miles from Bracknell and it is absolutely hissing it down here and has done since 0630.

There were a few flash/bangs about half an hour ago but that has rumbled off toward Godalming.

It's strange as I was under the impression these cells were moving NW but the lower cloud is moving

SE. Anyone know why?

Andy

looks like we're going to miss it here. its all moving north west. boo.

Posted

Morning all.

Update from Reading.

It's p*ssing it down. Very dark i've got the lights on.

Its like dusk outside. Had a few flashes of lightning last night but these faded quickly.

Woke up to thunder and heavy rain. So far over an inch has fallen.

Weather warnings galore for the area.

Rain became so heavy a few minutes ago that a small river appeared in the road !

Nothing electric at the moment though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I would expect the rain to get heavier as the day moves on, Anyplaces where the sun comes out after i would expect a fair bit of convection, So maybe later after the main band we could be looking at a few home grown cells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Well just got on after a hetic night, never managed to see if there were storms about on here last night but at about 8.30-45 a storm started to aproah with low rumbles in the distance.. from abut 8.45-10 the storm was over head, and i mean over head of Shrewsbury, so much rain frequent CG and even more frequent CC lightneing and some thunder that was co loud i have never been in anything like it.

For me the best storm to hit this town in the 3 years i have lived in the town center.

Even better, as the storm moved away, it was flashing and rumbling (some times quite loud) untill 11.30 ish (and i drifted off to sleep)

Never known a storm last so long. My only worry today is that we had a LOT of rain last night and this second lot today might tip us over the edge flood wise...

was it the same for the others in midlands last night?

Posted

Hi

It is raining heavy here in Wincanton. 13mm in the last 2 hours and now

visibility is down to about 100m. Have a look on the web cams

www.wincantonweather.org.uk/Page67.html

None of that lovely Thunder here <_<

www.wincantonweather.org.uk/StormVue.html

Regards

Alan

PS Posted this in new topics accidentally. My apologies, still learning