Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flood damage reports.

Posted

Louth.. They have only just really started cleaning up after the last floods a month ago...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

It's recorded footage - I live in Louth and I can assure you the flood sirens aren't going off. They did wake me up on Saturday Morning. It won't replace Terry Wogan and a cup of coffee as my morning pick-me-up of choice. For a hideous moment I thought I was an extra in Threads!

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
It's recorded footage - I live in Louth and I can assure you the flood sirens aren't going off. They did wake me up on Saturday Morning. It won't replace Terry Wogan and a cup of coffee as my morning pick-me-up. For a hideous moment I thought I was an extra in Threads!

Phew , but still it was like :):)

Where Neil?

Sorry daniel didn't catch where it was , caught the tail end of the report..

Just gone back to africa now , which isn't important at this current time :lol:

Edited by neilsouth

Posted
It's recorded footage - I live in Louth and I can assure you the flood sirens aren't going off. They did wake me up on Saturday Morning. It won't replace Terry Wogan and a cup of coffee as my morning pick-me-up of choice. For a hideous moment I thought I was an extra in Threads!

Explains things.. I bet it's spooky hearing those things blowing. How many places have flood sirens? Is it just Lincs??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
Explains things.. I bet it's spooky hearing those things blowing. How many places have flood sirens? Is it just Lincs??

I'm not sure if other places have them. Ours are a cast off from the Cold War - they're ex-air raid warning sirens and they're operated by The Police on the advice of the Emergency Planners and the EA. Pretty much every major town in Lincolnshire has them and they were sounded in Louth, Horncastle and Wainfleet on Friday night and Saturday Morning. They are pretty bone-chilling.

Posted

They obviously work well and people seem to take notice of them. Do you think people are more willing to leave their homes/prepare for floods just by hearing them JBD? I'm just wondering if they create a feeling of command and jolt people into preparing for the worst? I'm just thinking about a comment made by someone in Catcliffe who made the comment "well we didn't think it would come up that far". This by someone who has been through it time and time again and should have known better..

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Still have some old air raid sirens in the MK area, theres numerous down at bletchley park war museum.

They normally set them off one weekend in august every year, to coincide with the airial fly overs during the summer events.

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

Nah.. The point is would things have been taken a little more seriously if sirens had sounded in the affected areas?

Anyone have any first-hand reports from the Thames flooding??

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
I'm not sure if other places have them. Ours are a cast off from the Cold War - they're ex-air raid warning sirens and they're operated by The Police on the advice of the Emergency Planners and the EA. Pretty much every major town in Lincolnshire has them and they were sounded in Louth, Horncastle and Wainfleet on Friday night and Saturday Morning. They are pretty bone-chilling.

My parents live just don the road from Horncastle { well not far} they live in Boston about 10 mins walk from Antons Gout , and about 10 min walk the other way to Boston Town. They have the rive Witham running at the back of there house , and they mentioned that parts of the Witham were ready to burst especially further up river near Lincoln , will ring them later to see whats happening

nigel

Posted

Jane..thanks for the message...realy glad they saved the electric..

toilet was A problem this morning as you can imagine...making a water Butt in the garden for flushing toilet..strange I need rain from the drain pipe..

Good idea water butt nothing worse than A blocked toilet..

Im being realy careful of how much I drink at the moment as taps went dry at 6.00pm..

strange you still have water I hope it stays that way.

thanks dogs32

Posted

We have them on the coast here in Norfolk but, unlike other places, ours are for evacuation rather than warning. I'm not a big fan as it's WWII technology with very little resilience and if you are still sat at home when they are sounded it's going to be far to late to start thinking about evacuation. They are effectively a last ditch warning. They were introduced as a warning method after the floods of 1953, where lack of warning was one of the big issues. The better forecasting and availability of communicatiosn these days does make them a little redundant I think. Also very worrying if you are unable to evacuate and hear them.

Posted

A tewksbury women who was 21 weeks pregnant was taken to cheltnem hospital by the RAF however her twin babies did not survive :) I think it was the women who was stuck in that house and they had to rescue her by boat because she was pregnent

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
We have them on the coast here in Norfolk but, unlike other places, ours are for evacuation rather than warning. I'm not a big fan as it's WWII technology with very little resilience and if you are still sat at home when they are sounded it's going to be far to late to start thinking about evacuation. They are effectively a last ditch warning. They were introduced as a warning method after the floods of 1953, where lack of warning was one of the big issues. The better forecasting and availability of communicatiosn these days does make them a little redundant I think. Also very worrying if you are unable to evacuate and hear them.

How many exactly are there, Dave? Oh, and is there still a foghorn around Scratby way, 'cos I remember as a kid on the beach in the mid-'80s hearing the foghorn sounding as thick sea mist rolled onto the beach. Very eerie.

P.S. Foghorn may have been Gorlestone rather than Scratby; can't remember which.

Posted
How many exactly are there, Dave? Oh, and is there still a foghorn around Scratby way, 'cos I remember as a kid on the beach in the mid-'80s hearing the foghorn sounding as thick sea mist rolled onto the beach. Very eerie.

P.S. Foghorn may have been Gorlestone rather than Scratby; can't remember which.

Off the top of my head, Norfolk has 50ish. 17 on the area I cover.

Posted
Still have some old air raid sirens in the MK area, theres numerous down at bletchley park war museum.

They normally set them off one weekend in august every year, to coincide with the airial fly overs during the summer events.

Lol...what do you mean 'still'?

Milton Keynes didn't exist until 1967.

A tewksbury women who was 21 weeks pregnant was taken to cheltnem hospital by the RAF however her twin babies did not survive :) I think it was the women who was stuck in that house and they had to rescue her by boat because she was pregnent

Could've had a water\home birth?

No...seriously, its terrible. These people have no water and no electricity and their cars are stranded and out of reach of midwifes. The only way to actually give birth cleanly is hospital....and thats going to be by helicopter.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Milton Keynes was built in 1967 yes, but also it took within its boundaries 3 smaller towns, Bletchley, Stony Stratford and Wolverton and the original village of Milton Keynes. Those are the areas which most probably still have the old air raid sirens in conjunction with Bletchley Park which was the site of the codebreaking Enigma machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes

Posted

Gave up on BQ..water...packed long tailbacks...people greedy I saw in some shops for water.

reports kids turning taps on bowsers let them run

Vandalism

greed people filling up with al lsorts...

source Star Radio

realy bad on the roads like rush hr

Posted
Milton Keynes was built in 1967 yes, but also it took within its boundaries 3 smaller towns, Bletchley, Stony Stratford and Wolverton and the original village of Milton Keynes. Those are the areas which most probably still have the old air raid sirens in conjunction with Bletchley Park which was the site of the codebreaking Enigma machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes

Why are there old air raid sirens still there? I thought they would all been taken down by now, surely?

Posted

I think we've wandered a bit too far off topic.

Anyone know how quickly the water levels are falling?

Posted

Quite quick I think potty(think)

couldnt get in some places to packed!!!!! No chance of 4 litres of water a day no chance at momnet

Big Greed out there...saw a person I know...hasnt got any kids...was stocking up on water from shop loads...I thought you greedy sod

sorry bringing bad things out on people here some places...kids vandalism bowsers

IT was reported a shop keeper was selling A BOTTLE OF WATER FOR

£15.00...no joke

couldnt get into BQ to make a water Butt...so ended at my brothers getting a spare tank to connect on to the drain pipe...yes I need rain now..lol would you believe it

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Gave up on BQ..water...packed long tailbacks...people greedy I saw in some shops for water.

reports kids turning taps on bowsers let them run

Vandalism

greed people filling up with al lsorts...

source Star Radio

realy bad on the roads like rush hr

I thought there was supposedly 'great community spirit' in the flood affected areas.

I guess it was just localised to Tewksbury then.

<_<

Posted

PP that might be Tewsksbury...but here there is snobs of greed!!!! dont get me wrong not everyone

I havent bought any water to day I gave up on the traffic...even DIY stores hard to get into

got enough here to last for a while..no shaving for a while..lol

IM just thankfull I didnt loose power...and I think the emergencies services did a fantastic job saving that plant...could of been so bad...never seen before

so much depends on electric.

they should bring a law in with water....order...its forceing people to panick

And the kids leaving the bowsers on should be sent to a BOOT camp and the greedy people

ps can anyone else report on here as well as me in glos..would be apreciated

bad or good news..Im only given ONE view point through my eyes and ears

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Is there anyone else out there in glos not a NetWeather member?

I know Telewest broadband down for days now for some

Edited by dogs32

Posted
I think we've wandered a bit too far off topic.

Anyone know how quickly the water levels are falling?

I guess it depends on where you are. I heard that the Thames is still rising and the peak will be in the early hours of tomorrow morning so some people have yet to feel the full effect!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
I guess it depends on where you are. I heard that the Thames is still rising and the peak will be in the early hours of tomorrow morning so some people have yet to feel the full effect!!!

The water is not forecast to get to the tidal Thames at Teddington lock until Thursday morning.

Russ.