Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tuesday/Wednesday's Event

SP1986

Posted
Hi Katie Loo :lol: Yes I was up lastnight watching that weather on the radar move into your area.

Hope that you enjoyed it :)

Not sure I really enjoyed it, it was vicious, I thought the roof was going to come off :good:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
tell that to one third of the people in the Fastnet race, 98 out of about 300 have already retired from the race. I just hope it does not turn into a version of 1979. It does not look anything like as bad as that storm so fingers crossed.

Didn't know the Fastnet race was being held in Sheffield hence the comment for a none event for us. Also raises the question why are they racing???

Posted
Not sure I really enjoyed it, it was vicious, I thought the roof was going to come off :good:

Hehee.

I think 'viscious' is having 40-70mph gusts most of the day and frequent violent rainstorms with convective downbursts and gusts of 85mph+ back in December. Now that was scary.

Posted

using the 1300 bst pressures it appears to be moving on about a track from 260 degrees but will likely start to turn further north of that line as it gets over southern Eire

post-847-1187096223_thumb.jpg

Posted
Hehee.

I think 'viscious' is having 40-70mph gusts most of the day and frequent violent rainstorms with convective downbursts and gusts of 85mph+ back in December. Now that was scary.

Hi P.P. :good:

I suppose it is kind of viscious for August.

I don't know about you , but I'm enjoying this rain today, it feels quite cozy inside today

watching the weather through the window.

It dosen't feel that cold to me either.

using the 1300 bst pressures it appears to be moving on about a track from 260 degrees but will likely start to turn further north of that line as it gets over southern Eire

post-847-1187096223_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update John :lol:

Posted

it will not feel 'cold' today as warm fronts are spreading Tropical air northwards.

below is the latest sat picc and comments.

post-847-1187096637_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

For August this is a fairly tightly wound system, esp when you consider that it had only minimal tropical injection, this one is probably one of the first Autumnal type low in a while. Really its not been that bad here so far with some at time fairly gusty winds but nothing to noteable and now just cloudy with no rain in a little while.

Posted
For August this is a fairly tightly wound system, esp when you consider that it had only minimal tropical injection, this one is probably one of the first Autumnal type low in a while. Really its not been that bad here so far with some at time fairly gusty winds but nothing to noteable and now just cloudy with no rain in a little while.

Hi Darren :good:

What sort of wind speeds do you think would be needed to cause any problems

such as uprooted trees etc given that they are in leaf atm.

Do you think this is still a possibility judging by how things are developing, right now.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

06Z GFS theta-w (wet-bulb potential temp) charts show rather warm moist Tm air being drawn NE aloft into the low's circulation this afternoon:

post-1052-1187098364_thumb.png

Been low cloud with heavy drizzle or light to moderate rain (typical of a moist Tm airmass) here for most the day so far, with a strong wind to boot, but feeling warm and muggy despite the wind.

Posted
Hi Darren :good:

What sort of wind speeds do you think would be needed to cause any problems

such as uprooted trees etc given that they are in leaf atm.

Do you think this is still a possibility judging by how things are developing, right now.

min of 30mph gusts 50+mph for more than small branches to break off I would say.

Posted

Winds gusting to 41mph at Solent and 43 mph at Thorney Island on the South coast recently:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

Posted
min of 30mph gusts 50+mph for more than small branches to break off I would say.

Thanks John.

It does seem a real possibility for some then, and highlights the significance of such

a storm at this time of year.

Being totally surrounded by trees, I should perhaps count myself as fortunate

to get away with any severe winds, with perhaps the rain being the most prominant

feature for this location.

Posted
Winds gusting to 41mph at Solent and 43 mph at Thorney Island on the South coast recently:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

ignore the reports of pressure from West Freugh and the attempt by the computer to incorporate its pressure.

There is obviously a fault with the pressure sensor.

If the low does move in the direction expected it will be interesting to watch the computer attempting to 'marry' a low of probably below 992mb with the West Freugh pressure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Parts of North Wales are recieving a fohn effect with relatively calm winds - read off that what you will. 21C in both Rhos on sea, and Prestatyn - winds from off the Berwyn and Fflintshire range respectively. Interesting we are getting a fohn effect of the east flintshire range (Halkyn) and the hope mountain/caergwle ranges in the east of Wales, so therefore it is dry and cloudy but bright, with temperatures 20C

Posted
Parts of North Wales are recieving a fohn effect with relatively calm winds - read off that what you will. 21C in both Rhos on sea, and Prestatyn - winds from off the Berwyn and Fflintshire range respectively. Interesting we are getting a fohn effect of the east flintshire range (Halkyn) and the hope mountain/caergwle ranges in the east of Wales, so therefore it is dry and cloudy but bright, with temperatures 20C

Foehntastic

:good:

Posted

Interesting Stephen. At least that's one thing this system turned up. Otherwise nothing of note so far.

Buoy Reports

K5 Buoy North West Scotland:

Wind speed 16mph

Temp 12c

Pressure 998mb

Wave Height 11ft

M4 Buoy Northern Ireland:

Wind speed 21mph

Temp 14c

Pressure 995mb

Wave Height 6ft

M3 Buoy South Ireland

Wind speed 22mph

Temp 17c

Pressure 988mb

Wave Height 6ft

62125 Buoy North East England

Wind speed 7mph

Temp 15c

Pressure 992mb

Wave Height 2ft

62114 Buoy North East Scotland

Wind speed 14mph

Temp 14c

Pressure 1001mb

Wave Height 3ft

m3 buoy -4mb but 62125 Buoy -9mb

Posted
it will not feel 'cold' today as warm fronts are spreading Tropical air northwards.

below is the latest sat picc and comments.

post-847-1187096637_thumb.jpg

As the two air masses mix, it could get very interesting. Where do you see the main areas for storms tomorrow?

Posted

Development is likely to become quite rapid this evening as 12z upper air reveals jetmax of 130 knots (250 mbs) just to the southwest of Valentia (at that time), and based on current radar over southern Ireland, there could be widespread thunder developing across Wales, southwest England and the Severn valley before midnight and other parts of south central to southeast England as well as the Midlands and East Anglia a little after midnight. Some of this activity could be heavy to borderline severe. A second cluster of heavy to severe storms is likely to follow when the actual centre of the low, currently around 18W, rushes across central parts of the UK on Wednesday morning to catch up to what will by then be the main energy centre developing out of the leading wave I just described for tonight. This trailing feature should generate some heavy to severe storms mainly in a track from about Somerset and south Wales across the Thames valley towards East Anglia around mid-day Wednesday. Further south storm activity is likely to be more isolated, and further north less severe and more of an embedded situation in the area of moderate rain crossing the north central parts of England in the next 18-24 hours.

I would keep a close eye on radar across the south Wales region in about 2-3 hours to see how fast this development actually takes place, meanwhile I am out the door for the next 8-10 hours so will be lucky to get any chance to look in at this in real time.

Posted

not sufficient to get worried about anything where you are

Posted

I wish you luck Rodger.

For us just a damp drizzly day. Heavier rain forecast for this afternoon didn't turn up either. Wind wise this was never going to effect us. Out of interest anywhere had up 50mph???

Edited by The PIT