Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tuesday/Wednesday's Event

SP1986

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Actual 18z fax shows a more complicated picture than I thought, upper cold front shown towards SE which brought heavy thundery rain here earlier, sfc cold front moving East across Wales into the Midlands/SW England bringing a discrete line of convective rain here, and a triple point over Northern England bringing pulses of convective rain across the North too this evening:

post-1052-1187126726_thumb.png

MetO obs show gusts to 45 mph at Solent at 2100:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/...st_weather.html

Sounding like a late autumn evening earlier with the rain lashing against the windows and the wind howling down the chimney, however it's still rather warm outside - 17.3C on my thermo, it was still 19.2C in London an hour ago, despite the heavy rain around.

Posted

What i found odd today was how lights the winds were. I was expecting strong gusty breezes but all we had was breezy despite pressure being around 990MB. I mean when we had like over 1010MB we can still get gusty winds Any reason for this? Was this area over the centre of low pressure or something? :shok:

Posted
another big heavy pulse south wales.moving N/W

Hi Brian you havent had the showers yet

Hi Dogs :shok: No. I have had rain for most of the afternoon, but since teatime it has been mostly clear.

The wind gusts seem more noticable now though, which is probably more to do with kids being in bed

so I can here whats happening now :)

The last gust that went through was at around 24mph, so nothing spectacular

Posted

A rather wet and windy day here, but not remarkably so. The rain was light in nature, and we only had around 2mm in total. Maximum gust today of 33mph at lunchtime.

Tomorrow looks a lot more interesting I must say, with good potential for thunderstorms to develop in the Midlands :shok:

Posted

yea same here geordiesnow...not much wind at all....apart from the last two showers which had more rain in them than everything we had today...Just like a thunderstorm...Ive noticed that the showers get more heavy as they come up across the country,Dont know if anyone else as noticed this.The showers in south Wales are getting heavier and growing.Graups your like the showers and the wind.I wouldnt be surprised if any of these showers turn into storms sometime tonight.Im not talking about thundery rain...but squally torrential downpours weve had in the last two showers

Posted
What i found odd today was how lights the winds were. I was expecting strong gusty breezes but all we had was breezy despite pressure being around 990MB. I mean when we had like over 1010MB we can still get gusty winds Any reason for this? Was this area over the centre of low pressure or something? :shok:

Winds tend to be light under the centre of a low pressure system, as this is where winds converge from all directions, the UK plot from meteocentre suggested the centre of the low (986mb) was pretty much near Newcastle about an hour ago, with light winds circulating near the centre:

post-1052-1187129114_thumb.png

The strongest winds always looked to be on the SE side of the low pressure system (SW and S England and S Wales), where the steepest pressure gradients were.

Posted
A rather wet and windy day here, but not remarkably so. The rain was light in nature, and we only had around 2mm in total. Maximum gust today of 33mph at lunchtime.

Tomorrow looks a lot more interesting I must say, with good potential for thunderstorms to develop in the Midlands :shok:

Same here mainly light rain on and off but tomorrow the chance of me seeing a t.storm seems

less likely after watching my local forecast

Posted
.Graups your like the showers and the wind.I wouldnt be surprised if any of these showers turn into storms sometime tonight.Im not talking about thundery rain...but squally torrential downpours weve had in the last two showers

Yes I hope so dogs :) I shall keep a look out for those

Edit Nice one Dogs I have just got one of those showers now :D

Posted

Edit Nice one Dogs I have just got one of those showers now :D

lol......keep your eye on the massive one in south wales...its heading your way for early hrs

Posted

Thanks for the explanation Nick but surely the centre of the low has not been there all day though? Like i said not hardly a breath of wind whilst the met office predicted 40MPH+. To me this 'event' has been slightly hyped up by the Met office i feel.

Had quite an heavy shower before - you just feel frustrated why they don't happen in the day time where they can be thundery!

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
Thanks for the explanation Nick but surely the centre of the low has not been there all day though? Like i said not hardly a breath of wind whilst the met office predicted 40MPH+. To me this 'event' has been slightly hyped up by the Met office i feel.

Had quite an heavy shower before - you just feel frustrated why they don't happen in the day time where they can be thundery!

The winds aren't strong on all sides of an approaching low pressure system, you just happened to be where the pressure gradients were weakest during the day as the low approached.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow
Its turned out to be much ado about nothing. Its no ex-Charley, its no 30th July 1956 storm.

Same here, nothing noticable at all. A littel bit of rain and a light breeze.

Posted

Yeah its actually nice and sunny out here right now. Was a little breezy and it was quite a wet day yesterday but nothing too much, as suspected it was hyped up really a little too much. Geordiesnow, as Nick said the pressure gradient wasn't as tight a sit was further south and when you combine that with the motion of the foward direction and speed (which would further reduced the winds a touch) then its not that surprising that you had nothnig noteable, I don't think anybody had anything that impressive in the end did they??

Edited by kold weather

Posted

I suppose it depends on ones own point of view. A touch too much about the wind and rain but better that way than no warning.

A few clips to show some were affected

The Fastnet Race, a clip from BBC News

Race organisers said 186 of the 271 competing yachts have been forced to retire because of bad weather. The yachts left Cowes on Monday after the race was postponed by 25 hours for the first time in its 83-year history.

Max gust was 50mph in the south west that I saw so our Alert was about right in that respect.

The Alert is still in force, about to be updated, for rainfall, as the 'event' was forecast to run until the early hours of Thursday.

the following had their 20mm plus, to 0900BST this morning, with some as the Alert warns to get additional amounts before the end of today.

trans2.gif

Pembrey Sands (6 m)40.0 Lake Vyrnwy (359 m)30.0 Warcop Range (227 m)29.0 Shap (249 m)26.0 Capel Curig (215 m)22.0 Herstmonceux (52 m)22.0 Bournemouth (10 m)21.0 Bingley (267 m)21.0 Middle Wallop (91 m)20.0

my thanks to

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/ukweather.htm

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...ing/default.stm

for the data above.

Posted
I have had quite a lot of rain but there's been almost no wind. Perhaps there will be some more tonight.

Ive had hardly any wind and hardly any rain

although there was a very brief downpoor this morning

Posted
I don't think anybody had anything that impressive in the end did they??

Nothing noticeable here since had a light shower/a sharper one yesterday evening and an extra 1mm of rain. :lol:

I did notice the wind change direction to a north/NE as the lower clouds were seen all of a sudden this morning but a light wind.

I would describe this low as a gentle giant in most places especially here. :)

Heavy showers about on the radar though in bands.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Wind has slightly picked up again over the last hour but its still pretty tame compared to what was forecasted, can't be gusting to more then 15-20mph presently.

A very intense band of showers currently moving its way SE as the colder air comes in from the north which will be the final act of the low pressure system.