Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March CET

phil nw.

Posted

5.7ºC

Just as spring is supposed to be upon us - you watch, it'll be cold and wet with a southerly tracking jet...

Posted

Cold north-westerly or northerly episode's during the opening week, but then becoming dry and very mild, with high pressure building up from France. A prolonged spell of warm and dry weather, before turning cooler and wetter through the final week.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Just a few notes..

The coldest March on record was 1.2C in 1785..

The warmest March on record was 9.2C in 1957...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Just a few notes..

The coldest March on record was 1.2C in 1785..

The warmest March on record was 9.2C in 1957...

Almost, I think March 1674 beat it with 1.0C.

Posted
Almost, I think March 1674 beat it with 1.0C.

Up until 1702, CET figures were only given to the nearest 0.5C, thus we can not be sure of the validity of that figure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Fair point...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

7.2C for me please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

4C for me thanks, though I may change it closer to March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The coldest month of the winter, although a spring month. Won't give mine yet but the clue is there of where I'm going and 4ish will be close

BFTP

Posted

In recent months that are transitional such as the autumn months last year and even back to last spring we have had information on quirks in the CET - where autumn months were warmer in the second half than the first, and where spring months were colder in the second half than the first.

I would be grateful if Kevin Bradshaw can help us again if he can list the years where March had a colder CET value for the second half than the first half?

I can start it off, last year, 2007 joined the list, and then previously it was 2000. Then I do not believe there was any occasion prior to that since the mid 1980s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

4.2C due to a cold start.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Thanks to the now ever toasty North Atlantic the warmest March C.E.T on record 10C.

Posted
I can start it off, last year, 2007 joined the list, and then previously it was 2000. Then I do not believe there was any occasion prior to that since the mid 1980s.

In reverse order since WWII: 2007, 2000, 1994, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1984, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1967, 1966, 1961,

1960, 1959, 1957, 1952

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
In reverse order since WWII: 2007, 2000, 1994, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1984, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1967, 1966, 1961,

1960, 1959, 1957, 1952

Interesting, thats almost a third then.

Thanks to the now ever toasty North Atlantic the warmest March C.E.T on record 10C.

:rolleyes:

Posted

I generally tend to expect the CET to rise cumulatively during March especially in the last week, very rarely sticks at the same level throughout.. Its the first month since July when this tends to happen.

Not giving my CET estimate until middle of next week, though I will say it won't be in the series of 10 warmest March's largely due to a generally cold start

Posted

Thats going to some extreme even April doesn`t normally get that high,last years was a one off at 11.2c which broke the record by 0.7c to 1943`s 10.5c

Saying that March 1957 reached 9.2c :lol:

And there was a greenland high on the warmest days.!!!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119570312.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219570312.gif

Otherwise 1997 was 8.4C

I`m going for 7c just might be closer to the mark than my previous 2 months is one reason,it might end up lower instead. :lol:

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
Thats going to some extreme even April doesn`t normally get that high,last years was a one off at 11.2c which broke the record by 0.7c to 1943`s 10.5c

Saying that March 1957 reached 9.2c :lol:

And there was a greeland high on the warmest days.!!!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119570312.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219570312.gif

Otherwise 1997 was 8.4C

I`m going for 7c just might be closer to the mark than my previous 2 months is one reason,it might end up lower instead. :lol:

Those synoptics look quite similar to October 2005...

Posted

I'm going for 3.9. There's some chat on model output, about the beginning of March being a bit special. I know it's a long way off, but I'm really hoping Winter might finally deliver something special (especially for us Southerners).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

6.2°C for me.

Have to say alot of 4's in this competition, may leave the door open for a lot of points for some people... !