Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June CET

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

And today could put another dint in it. Very cool so far 11.2C . Can't see the min being all that low probably double figures but being close to the max value.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Can't see the min being all that low probably double figures but being close to the max value.

Once again this will be yet another June without any particular cool monthly minima. Infact a lot of Junes since 2000 have been warm due to warm nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Once again this will be yet another June without any particular cool monthly minima. Infact a lot of Junes since 2000 have been warm due to warm nights.

Indeed, strange really because June is a month usually regarded for its warm days and cool nights! :huh:

Posted

The Pit was talking about how mild it`ll be as theres a warm brief plume coming in tonight so a warmer night than what this morning gave at 11a.m.

This month has had a good many cold nights here infact with frosts in places aswell, coldest June at night since 1991 if any more cold nights come up is quite easily possible and thats saying something especially for mid-month read MR Data`s post.

Posted
The Pit was talking about how mild it`ll be as theres a warm brief plume coming in tonight so a warmer night than what this morning gave at 11a.m.

This month has had a good many cold nights here infact with frosts in places aswell, coldest June at night since 1991 if any more cold nights come up is quite easily possible and thats saying something especially for mid-month read MR Data`s post.

Quiet correct there has been quite a few low temps this month. The mins are driving again towards the average possibly slightly below average month. Right now it's the warmest part of the day which is higher than I expected when I orginally posted. The max temp here is above normal.

Posted

The Manley CET minimum average. (I've noted there have been a few particularly cool/cold nights here in Manchester.)

Mean Min (1st-21st) 9.4ºC (-0.1 degC)

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Hadley drops to 13.9 to the 21st, would expect a rise to 14 or 14.1 depending on roundings today and probably holding around that level all week. Can't see anything above 14.5 now or below 13.7 (including potential downward adjustment as Manley is on 13.7) - really depends if we get some cooler nights, maxima look set to stay low 20s at very best and high teens generally.

Yes i completely agree not sure what craig is on but the nights have felt decidedly cool this June even the milder nights due to strong winds giving a wind chill haven't felt that warm something the BBC fail to mention when going on and on about mild nights, felt cold in the mid weeks strong winds at night, atlantic airmasses esp from a cyclonic pattern aren't what i classify warm in summer you need Tropical continental air and calm winds for truly warm summer nights.

Posted
Yes i completely agree not sure what craig is on but the nights have felt decidedly cool this June even the milder nights due to strong winds giving a wind chill haven't felt that warm something the BBC fail to mention when going on and on about mild nights, felt cold in the mid weeks strong winds at night, atlantic airmasses esp from a cyclonic pattern aren't what i classify warm in summer you need Tropical continental air and calm winds for truly warm summer nights.

I thought this was the CET thread? Wind chill has absolutely no bearing on the CET, above average nights are above average regardless of how they feel.

Posted

The Hadley CET is now 13.9C up to the 22nd. Pretty much bang on average for this point in the month.

I predict that my guess of 16.5C is going to put me somewhere near the bottom of the league this month ;)

Posted

Looks like we may just miss going sub 10C in running.

Today we stand at 10.02C, we might go to 10.01C tomorrow but then it looks likely to rise again.

There is another small window of opportunity between 29/06 and 02/07 but we need a coolish outcome in CET land before then

Posted

My impression is that the pattern is slowly warming and that several days now will turn in CET averages near 16 or 17 in large part because of rather warm overnight readings, so that the monthly CET should drift upwards to Sunday then stall at its final value, which seems to be around 14.4 to 14.7 ... one colder night anywhere through this period could unravel that idea, but equally, it could warm up even more than the forecasts are suggesting with fairly high thicknesses such as have been seen only in France the past week creep up into southern England, so at least the southern stations could be seeing some daytime highs of 22-24 C before the month ends. Monday looks a bit cooler but by then the average can't change significantly.

Posted
My impression is that the pattern is slowly warming and that several days now will turn in CET averages near 16 or 17 in large part because of rather warm overnight readings, so that the monthly CET should drift upwards to Sunday then stall at its final value, which seems to be around 14.4 to 14.7 ... one colder night anywhere through this period could unravel that idea, but equally, it could warm up even more than the forecasts are suggesting with fairly high thicknesses such as have been seen only in France the past week creep up into southern England, so at least the southern stations could be seeing some daytime highs of 22-24 C before the month ends. Monday looks a bit cooler but by then the average can't change significantly.

I don't see anything that warm in the zone (further south, perhaps), outside 14.0 to 14.2 would suprise me now

Posted

Yes I noticed that. Some warm nights coming up at the moment there's one more cool night to come so a push upwards of CET should push it slightly above normal but will probably count in the average category.

Posted

Hadley CET still on 13.9C after yesterday came in at 13.9C.

Posted

Yesterday was the first day above average for sometime. Not much but came in above average. GFS not showing anything much above average but they might be over doing the night time lows. I'm expecting at least a elveling off if not a slight rise in the next few days.

Posted
Yesterday was the first day above average for sometime. Not much but came in above average. GFS not showing anything much above average but they might be over doing the night time lows. I'm expecting at least a elveling off if not a slight rise in the next few days.

As the CET has been the same almost (within 0.1C) for nearly a week, what would be required for it to 'level off'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
As the CET has been the same almost (within 0.1C) for nearly a week, what would be required for it to 'level off'?

Remove the 'almost' and put the 'same' should do it ??

Another warm day here in the London (city)

Posted

Well this is the first June for a whilw where we haven't seen the month end up in the 15's, indeed we are going to end up a good bit away from from that figure from the looks of things, the cooler mins then recent June's has really helped us out there.

Posted

Hadley CET still on 13.9C. Yesterday was 14.2C.

Another random fact.. June is the only month where the 1971-2000 average is colder than the average of the whole CET series since 1772.

Month/Whole Series©/71-00©

Jan/ 3.4 /4.2

Feb/ 4.0 /4.2

Mar/ 5.5 /6.3

Apr/ 8.1 /8.1

May/ 11.3 /11.3

Jun/ 14.3 /14.1

Jul/ 16.0 /16.5

Aug/ 15.7 /16.2

Sep/ 13.4 /13.7

Oct/ 9.8 /10.4

Nov/ 6.1 /6.9

Dec/ 4.2 /5.1

Posted

Given minimums here were 13c last night, I'm expecting a rise tomorrow.

Basically I think we can say June 2008 is going to be a very average month - Making it the coolest since 1999.

Posted
Given minimums here were 13c last night, I'm expecting a rise tomorrow.

Basically I think we can say June 2008 is going to be a very average month - Making it the coolest since 1999.

I think there is a good chance of it ending up warmer than 2002.

Posted
I think there is a good chance of it ending up warmer than 2002.

We would need to average 16.7C for the rest of the month for that to occur (assuming no downward adjustment at month end)

It's quite difficult to envisage any of the remaining days (except maybe Sunday at a push) reaching that level, let alone all of them.

Therefore, I would have to say that 14.1 or 14.2 remain the likely landing point (excluding month end adjustment) with any other outcome highly unlikely.

Posted

I'm almost certain there will be a downward adjustment as well. Hadley was a good 0.3 above Manley after the first three or four days.