Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Discussion Video - Episode 3 Now Online

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Where else would you get 4 forecasters giving you a detailed chat on winter for free? Net Weather is fantastic, not only is it the best weather forum around but the forecasters give you detailed analysis and information about winter, summer, spring, autumn.

:)

Posted

Thanks C, we have discussed the possibility of live sessions - it's possible to do this online with our setup and we could potentially look at putting on events with audience participation too.

As for the charts, the initial idea was to overlay the charts onto the video at the relevant time, but because of the size they wouldn't have worked. What I'm going to try and do in the next episodes is to put a subtitle on the screen at times when one of the charts is relevant to that part of the discussion, which ought to make it simpler to follow.

Posted

we will all be taking note of the constructive comments coming in so please make your views known. Remember its a first so there are bound to be some faults with it. Pleased others commented about the sound level but the camera and mike were in one corner and we in another so that can be changed perhaps another time.

Any ideas on what you might like to see would be welcomed as well.

glad that, in general, its being well received, it was an enjoyable evening in which I certainly learnt quite a lot.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Of Course Next Year we will be attempting Live US Tornado Chasing through Netweather Tv, now that I am looking forward too!

I also cannot watch it until i get home so will have a gander tonight

Paul S

Posted
we will all be taking note of the constructive comments coming in so please make your views known. Remember its a first so there are bound to be some faults with it. Pleased others commented about the sound level but the camera and mike were in one corner and we in another so that can be changed perhaps another time.

Any ideas on what you might like to see would be welcomed as well.

glad that, in general, its being well received, it was an enjoyable evening in which I certainly learnt quite a lot.

Sound level for me is fine John :) I do have pretty good speakers but even when they are turned down pretty low I can still hear what you guys are saying. Maybe the sound levels are down to certain peoples speakers on their computer and things. The speakers that came fitted in my computer screen were rubbish and the maximum sound volume wasn't very loud so in that case I might have struggled to hear you guys. That isn't down to your recording equipment though, it would have been down to my bad speakers :) Thank goodness I got these new ones so now I can hear people speaking on videos very well.

Posted

be interested in your comments Paul,so I may see a real live tornado after all, and from the safety of my chair by the pc?!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
Thanks C, we have discussed the possibility of live sessions - it's possible to do this online with our setup and we could potentially look at putting on events with audience participation too.

As for the charts, the initial idea was to overlay the charts onto the video at the relevant time, but because of the size they wouldn't have worked. What I'm going to try and do in the next episodes is to put a subtitle on the screen at times when one of the charts is relevant to that part of the discussion, which ought to make it simpler to follow.

Excellent on both counts.

Posted
be interested in your comments Paul,so I may see a real live tornado after all, and from the safety of my chair by the pc?!

Thats the plan John, Paul seems confident we will have no problem live screening to everyone and also the chatroom will enable us to talk to you whilst we have tinternet on the move, and members can ask us questions along the way!

Paul S

Posted
Sound level for me is fine John :) I do have pretty good speakers but even when they are turned down pretty low I can still hear what you guys are saying. Maybe the sound levels are down to certain peoples speakers on their computer and things. The speakers that came fitted in my computer screen were rubbish and the maximum sound volume wasn't very loud so in that case I might have struggled to hear you guys. That isn't down to your recording equipment though, it would have been down to my bad speakers :( Thank goodness I got these new ones so now I can hear people speaking on videos very well.

tks Andy, I'm deaf so that may be part of the problem!

Posted

Fantastic stuff guys! :) My main problem is with the sound level as well, but I am deaf. Any chance of subtitles? :(

Posted
perhaps thee and me can have a special section for us mate?

That time as a rocker has taken it's toll on your hearing then JH :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Argh it gets to 4 seconds and stops :(

Posted
That time as a rocker has taken it's toll on your hearing then JH :(

must have done Andy

I do remember at a Manchester night club in the 70's trying to 'hide' behind a pillar to avoid the worst of the horrendous noise level.

Posted

Hehe I don't think that pillar will have helped you much!

Nick try and close down your Internet Browser and start it up again and see if it works then.

Posted

I think it's just because my internet connection is shockingly bad. That's BT for you I guess.

Posted

I am having issues with that video player; it doesn't seem to stream correctly for me and thus suggests that I need a high internet speed or bandwidth. Can't it just behave like other flash-based video streaming media and let me wait for it to load before I play it?

Posted

Very enjoyable video my only question is why wasn't I invited. :(

On a serious note I realise their are learning guides but in my opinion some of the discussion was probably too technical for most of us. I would of also preferred some of the discussion about the AO, QBO etc to have been directed at our upcoming winter rather than the talking about the teleconnections themselves. I would of also preferred to hear more from Steve M. During the video I pricked up my ears as Steve started talking about what these all mean for the upcoming winter but unfortunately John H stopped him and the conversation continued. Maybe this is likely to be seen in the next installment.

Lastly I would prefer to see charts alongside the discussion. I used to enjoy Steve M model tracker videos and this is the format I would prefer. I particuarly enjoy the videos from Accu weather especially the blogs from Henry Margusity as they suit all types of audiences whether these are new to weather or experts. This in my opinion is the style that NW should use.

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.a...og=meteomadness

Finally though I will say im amazed at the knowledge of Steve M, GP, BF, they certainly know their stuff!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

An excellent broadcast there lads, very informative, for me this was easier to grasp listening and viewing (though I did have play it through twice) than reading some of the more technical posts, does that say I can’t read? lol.

What has been interesting me this year is solar cycle. Just one question about the current solar activity. There has been talk, I think from Steve recently that the polar vortex is less likely to park or be less vigorous over Greenland under periods of low solar activity, hence a better chance of northern blocking forming. I don’t understand the mechanics’ as to why this should be so, but could this be one of the reasons amongst others as to why we have seen the rather odd synoptics this year?

As GP mentioned, we have just reached the end of the solar minimum cycle, does this mean we will see a return to normal solar activity? and if so, would this become another spanner in the works for the UK seeing less favourable conditions for northern blocking?

Actually that’s around 3 questions.

Anyway

Good stuff, looking forward to the next Broadcast.

Paul

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Brilliant stuff, can't wait for Thursdays installment!

is it going 2 be on twice a week like corrie or benders???..if so i think the characters need some fleshing out..and the plot line seems a little linear...how about throwing in some car chases..or a bit of eye candy.

ps..was that copies of bobby robsons autobiography on the table..or next weeks script??

Posted

I'm sure the content is great but the video player is abysmal for me. The buttons at the bottom are almost like "just for show" they are so useless, I try to rewind/pause/play and it never does what I want it to. As a result I get a very stuttery, unwatchable video which I cannot pause to allow it to buffer. I hope this doesn't continue for other videos :)

Edit: Things seemed to have improved, it must be my appalling internet connection quality. Bit irritating though because I have a ton of maths homework to do for tomorrow so I don't really have time to watch it! ;)

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Great stuff guys ;)

Im looking forward to Thursday. You guys certainly know your stuff.

BTW the video and sound worked well for me :)