Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Discussion Video - Episode 3 Now Online

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Once again brilliant. Around an hours worth of in depth winter discussion for nothing. :doh:

You could have easily charged for that but you didn't (Hopes he hasn't put thoughts into Paul's head) :angry:

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Very interesting indeed.

Joe B, over at accuweather also thinks that December is going to be a "fast start", then calming down later. Which seems to concur with your broadcast.

Bedsocks at the ready.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

While my wife watches Strictly Come Dancing and the X Factor, I watch the latest NW discussion video! Thanks once again guys and I have a question probably best aimed to GP.

On the video you showed analogues for previous westerly QBO years for zonal wind anomalies at the 30hPa level. I think you suggested that on average this would add on 6m/s for Dec and 8m/s for Jan. When I look at previous SSWs, I see that the zonal wind (not anomaly) at 30hPa level only just about reverses ( 0 to -10m/s), whereas at a 10hPa level the reversal of zonal winds is often greater (over -10m/s). So firstly, do analogues for the 10hPa level for previous westerly QBO years, have greater positive wind anomalies and should we think of ruling out a SSW for this winter?

Also, if the stratosphere continues to warm and stay above average for the next couple of weeks would you reconsider your late winter forecast from mid January, where to quote you worry that things may go 'pear shaped'.

Many Thanks (in anticipation).

c