Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Discussion Video - Episode 3 Now Online

Paul

Posted

Thanks for the feedback so far folks.

Re the player, we've decided against using a standard media player and are using a live streamed service, even for the on demand stuff. This can cause one or two issues if you're connection won't consistently maintain any sort of download speed (it doesn't have to be fast, it just needs to be consistent), but it does have some major advantages, which will become more apparent as we build the service up.

In terms of content, this initial discussion was a learning experience - judging by the feedback it's going down really well which is pleasing, but on top of this, we've learned a lot from doing it and can build from there.

To answer a point from earlier, this video was always going to be quite technical by its nature, which of course is fine and some other content may also be similar, but there will also be plenty of less techie stuff too including forecasts, weather news items, special programs, live events and so on. We are aiming to build a full service which will appeal to everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!
I think it's just because my internet connection is shockingly bad. That's BT for you I guess.

TRY A VIRGIN !!

Very enjoyable video my only question is why wasn't I invited. ;)

On a serious note I realise their are learning guides but in my opinion some of the discussion was probably too technical for most of us. I would of also preferred some of the discussion about the AO, QBO etc to have been directed at our upcoming winter rather than the talking about the teleconnections themselves. I would of also preferred to hear more from Steve M. During the video I pricked up my ears as Steve started talking about what these all mean for the upcoming winter but unfortunately John H stopped him and the conversation continued. Maybe this is likely to be seen in the next installment.

Lastly I would prefer to see charts alongside the discussion. I used to enjoy Steve M model tracker videos and this is the format I would prefer. I particuarly enjoy the videos from Accu weather especially the blogs from Henry Margusity as they suit all types of audiences whether these are new to weather or experts. This in my opinion is the style that NW should use.

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.a...og=meteomadness

Finally though I will say im amazed at the knowledge of Steve M, GP, BF, they certainly know their stuff!

Hi TEITS-

Thanks for the nice coments-

Firstly, thanks for an enjoyable evening guys- It was nice getting to know the faces behind the names-

In terms of making it better- My ideas would be these-

* Agenda - Having visibility of the agenda early doors so that we could all take a chunk & ensure we were clear on what we wanted to say would be a great help next time around-

* Taking on board the comedy aspect posted one the first page- I think now that we have all done it before we can be more relaxed & give a little more light hearted thoughts as well as the serious stuff-

Maybe a few minutes each specifically on what we think the Winter may be like or how about this-

Arrange the date of the next one & then set up a thread in the Winter Discussions where people can put questions forward to set the theme of the meeting- that could almost dictate the agenda....

Other than that it was good stuff...

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Apart from the horrendously low volume seems like a good idea, but I sorry guys I couldn't enjoy it :/

Buy a cheap mic from maplins and stick it on the table also.

Posted
name='Steve Murr' date='25 Nov 2008, 09:55 PM' post='1372884']

Arrange the date of the next one & then set up a thread in the Winter Discussions where people can put questions forward to set the theme of the meeting- that could almost dictate the agenda....

S

I think this is an extremely good Idea Steve. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Afraid I had the same problem! I managed (I think) to decipher who was who visually but that was it. Just teething problems though I would imagine, and I am certainly looking forward to the next one. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Edited by Blitzen

i thought it was a really good idea and well implemented.

I agree with the Q+A idea, my suggestions for making it even better include, perhaps having a audio only option for those not on broadband.

Also have some sort of transcript as there were a lot of technical discretions in there, whihc were very informative and explained superbly, however so was covered, then people would forget certain aspects of what was covered. If some of these technical points were put down in a document word for word for what was said in the video, this would be a very helping learning guide.

Posted

I hope this diagram from one of my text books may help for people to see how the temperature structure is in the whole atmosphere.

post-847-1227652890_thumb.jpg

It may not be very clear but what I was after was showing how the temperature generally rises in the Stratosphere, so when the 3 were talking about Rossby waves (see NW Guides for explanation) these being deflected upwards, partly by the topography in certain parts of the world. Some mountain tops extend beyond the Troposphere (the boundary between the Troposphere and the Stratosphere). They in turn are reflected back by the inversion you can see at about 50km called the Stratopause.

Posted

Well done guys! It's not easy to try and talk casually when you know your being televised! I could sense the nervousness but I'm sure with more exposure you'll all be fine! ;)

I found it very enjoyable even though the wife just kept giving me funny looks when she heard weird words like QBO, MJO etc! :D

Thanks again and I look forward to the next installment!

I think maybe some planning/structure as to who is going to explain what, with accompanying screen shots/animations, might have helped but it's your first time so we'll let you off! :lol:

Posted

if it appeared without structure you had best blame the old bugger who chaired the meeting, there was an agenda, agreed by all over several days discussion before the day. I did attempt to suggest who spoke to what but like you say it was the first time, like a school report, I note, 'must do better'

Posted

Informative discussion & well balanced views, even if everyone doesn't agree :lol: .

No problems with the sound, video, etc..

Detailed discussion was a little in depth, though references can be found on here as to things like QBO, GLAAM, LA NINA, EL NINO et al... Maybe next time a more simplified discussion for some of the interested newcomers on here, how it is relayed on video is another matter...(good luck..)

Well done chaps :D

Posted
TRY A VIRGIN !!

This really is NOT that sort of site!!! lol :lol:

Worked well for me, but I have speakers. I got the gist of it, which surprised me, and am looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks Chaps.

Posted

Well, what I've seen of the video so far, great. Sound and picture quality fine and very informative. However, like with others on here it keeps stopping after about 3 minutes! :lol: Maybe something to do with my internet connection .... I will keep trying.

Edited by Don

Posted
Well, what I've seen of the video so far, great. Sound and picture quality fine and very informative. However, like with others on here it keeps stopping after about 3 minutes! :lol: Maybe something to do with my internet connection .... I will keep trying.

I can't say I had any problems with it stopping although I do have a 14mb download connection. :D

Just wanted to add that im really looking forward to other videos in the future. Im not sure if others are like me but I always find it easier to learn when in video format rather than text.

I also wanted to mention that during this winter im hoping to make my own video. What im hoping is Peterborough will have some notable snow event at some stage of the winter and then I shall document it via video. This video will include various aspects of the snow event ranging from the actual synoptics to pics/videos of the actual lying snow. I will only do this if the event is worthy and won't bother with a dusting!

Hopefully if this occurs and Paul likes my video, maybe he will allow this to be shown on Net Weather TV. My main reason for doing this if you never know when another snow event will occur and I want this video as something to look back on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Well I found that extremely interesting and informative. Plus it's great putting faces to names after 4 years as a Net-weather member.

Thanks very much guys, I thoroughly look forward to the next installment.........

Tornado Alley

Posted

I have just spent the last 24ish mins listening to that, some of it went and some of it didn't but overall I think it was very good and done very well.

I will most likely have another listen tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake, but wanted a proper listen and you guys did a great job of explaining things really well. some of the terms I knew and some I didn't but I want to learn more and keen to learn more so I will read the guides.

I look forward very much to the next installment, theirs some differnt about people talking rather then just reading, ( if that makes sense). Great work all 4 of you :doh:

if it appeared without structure you had best blame the old bugger who chaired the meeting, there was an agenda, agreed by all over several days discussion before the day. I did attempt to suggest who spoke to what but like you say it was the first time, like a school report, I note, 'must do better'

Don't be daft jhon I was very glad you where their you helped to make sure that me and I'm sure others who where listening and watching, where able to understand it by getting the 3 guys to explain it in much simpler terms, So I won't be blame you for anything. Just very appreciative of you and the the other guys for doing it. :)

Posted

Well done Gents, some of it over my head, but I have become familiar enough with the terms to at least understand what was being discussed, plus...I now know which of the grumpy old buggers John was, when he used to give forecasts on Radio Stoke from Manchester weather centre all those years ago :lol:

Dave

Posted

I'm not an expert, but I am interested in the stratosphere, blocking, and many of the matters relating to our winter climate in the UK. Almost everything I know on the subject has come from reading this forum, so I wasn't totally lost listening to the discussion on the video. Great stuff, really fascinating!

Posted
Well done Gents, some of it over my head, but I have become familiar enough with the terms to at least understand what was being discussed, plus...I now know which of the grumpy old buggers John was, when he used to give forecasts on Radio Stoke from Manchester weather centre all those years ago :lol:

Dave

good grief, someone actually remembers them, grumpy, how dare you(?!), all for 89p per broadcast, Michael Fish eat your heart out!

anyway what the hell were you doing up for the first broadcast we did, about 7.30am I think.

Posted
good grief, someone actually remembers them, grumpy, how dare you(?!), all for 89p per broadcast, Michael Fish eat your heart out!

anyway what the hell were you doing up for the first broadcast we did, about 7.30am I think.

They were the highlight of my day John! I'm old enough to have been working then so was definitely up & to hear "proper" weather forecasters talking about our local weather, & we do have a bit of a micro climate here in Stoke, was wonderful. The greatest joy was the 4.30 forecast, particularly if there was anything wintry about.

As for the grumpy bit, at 89p a go, I understand it now :lol:

Dave

Posted

Just finished listening, never realised just how much you guy's know.

Great idea and hope it continues.

I like the idea of JH reading out members questions then directing them to the experts to answer (already suggested I beleive)

Can I ask what is the "on demand" title about,

Thanks

Dallas :lol:

Posted
They were the highlight of my day John! I'm old enough to have been working then so was definitely up & to hear "proper" weather forecasters talking about our local weather, & we do have a bit of a micro climate here in Stoke, was wonderful. The greatest joy was the 4.30 forecast, particularly if there was anything wintry about.

As for the grumpy bit, at 89p a go, I understand it now :D

Dave

you were quite spoilt in those days at Stoke and the other radios for forecasters.

Ian McCaskill, David Lee, both to become national TV forecasters. Both wanted their heads examining in my view to want to do that but there you go we are all different.

Seeing oneself on video, TV etc is a painful experience to me, plus the idea of being recognised when shopping etc - yuk.

Still we must keep at it for the masses, this sort of thing seems popular. Certainly 3 knowledgable guys on NW so I'm happy to do the chair bit. Synoptic meteorology is my forte really.

Posted

Didnt really understand any of it, however I found it really quite interesting !!

It was also helpful to me to put faces to the guys that post such in depth analysis.

Although I accept that each one is an expert, I wondered if that could be somehow qualified by offering each guys own, qualifications, experience and professions or whether just enthusiastic amateurs.

But as I said earlier I really enjoyed the discussion, thank you.