Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Discussion Video - Episode 3 Now Online

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
you were quite spoilt in those days at Stoke and the other radios for forecasters.

Ian McCaskill, David Lee, both to become national TV forecasters. Both wanted their heads examining in my view to want to do that but there you go we are all different.

Seeing oneself on video, TV etc is a painful experience to me, plus the idea of being recognised when shopping etc - yuk.

Still we must keep at it for the masses, this sort of thing seems popular. Certainly 3 knowledgable guys on NW so I'm happy to do the chair bit. Synoptic meteorology is my forte really.

LOL can you imagine someone coming upto you in the shopping parade and going "Hey, you are that John Holmes aren't you?" You would be like :cold: Umm Yes. Well at least it's Net Weather you are broadcast on and not BBC or SKY news else you might have to start going out in a hat and sunglasses :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Good video, although the sound was a bit ropey. It was good to put faces to the names, although Steve used to have a photo of himself as his avatar 2 or 3 years back.

Tell you what though, that Brickfielder's a ray of sunshine, eh? :cold::D

Posted
Good video, although the sound was a bit ropey. It was good to put faces to the names, although Steve used to have a photo of himself as his avatar 2 or 3 years back.

Tell you what though, that Brickfielder's a ray of sunshine, eh? :cold::D

Hehe if Brickfielder was any more laid back he would fall over :cold:

Posted
Hehe if Brickfielder was any more laid back he would fall over :cold:

He's like an ageing hippy:

"Yeah, man....this weather thing.......I mean, wooah....El Nino.....like, it might come.......might not, y'know?..........I mean, who really knows?......Polar Jet?.....it's, like, a total bummer man..........always killin' the winter buzz.........yeah..."

:D:cold:

Posted
He's like an ageing hippy:

"Yeah, man....this weather thing.......I mean, wooah....El Nino.....like, it might come.......might not, y'know?..........I mean, who really knows?......Polar Jet?.....it's, like, a total bummer man..........always killin' the winter buzz.........yeah..."

:D:D

:cold::cold::cold:

LOL at Solar Cycles aswell, cardboard cut out :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Just watched it twice! Good to put faces to names. It must have been a little disconcerting being recorded, so thank you. Can't wait for the next installment.

Also I feel that it is very difficult for the guys to get their message across without visual aids. The links underneath are a good idea - perhaps if this was to be done ever again then as the guys are speaking then they could be suggesting for instance go to links from underneath that would help them explain what they are trying to put across.

My volume was on Max so yes that needs to be adjusted

Visual aids a must

Maybe just a cut to a white board with a few diagrams ?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
What does this mean for winter, on people who know nothing about the weather. Although thanks for the people who took part and great job.

I don't think they answered that all important question, do you?

Posted

Yeh Chill Guys.

Any thoughts on whether we could have used a lap top projector so that we could pointed to the charts we were looking at?

Take it easy everyone, I mean, wooah.

Posted
Yeh Chill Guys.

Any thoughts on whether we could have used a lap top projector so that we could pointed to the charts we were looking at?

Hey BF, I'm glad you took my post in the spirit in which it was meant :( ! After I had posted it I thought "oops, I hope this isn't taken the wrong way".

Peace out man!

Posted
Yeh Chill Guys.

Agree with what Anti-Mild said... I admire your chilled out persona, maybe you could teach me how to do it as I seem to get hyper quite a lot :lol:

Maybe your new nickname should be the hippie of Net Weather :lol:

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Excellent I shall go and make myself a cup of tea and look forward to watching this. :lol:

Posted

As every, any feedback you can give will be welcome. Hopefully you have found that the sound is a bit better in this one, and we've also overlaid relevant charts..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
As every, any feedback you can give will be welcome. Hopefully you have found that the sound is a bit better in this one, and we've also overlaid relevant charts..

hi paul, the first video was perfect, but the second kept skipping. would that be my own end?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
Yep, that's some sort of connection issue I would think.

i will watch it later on when there is less people online. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Just watched the second installment. Sound was good, use of charts good, no breaking up so technically fine. Happy to say that I found it all pretty straight forward to understand though I could see that if I hadn't previously read up on QBO, MJO then I may have found it a little bit more difficult to understand.

Once again, thank you, it was perfectly aimed for someone like myself to get a grip of basic teleconnection patterns for the upcoming winter.

Posted

Very enjoyable video, I especially appreciated the charts that were overlaid.

I particularly enjoy putting faces to the names.

BF-is so laid back I wasn't sure if he was going to have a kip. Seems the sort of person you can happily relax with and would be a great drinking companion in the pub. A spitting image of my uncle!

GP-What incredible knowledge and seems so passionate when talking in this video.

JH-Looks like Alf Garnett although doesn't sound like him.

SM-I sincerely hope we hear more from Steve in the next video. This is the only disappointing bit for me in the videos because im very interested to hear what he says. By the way he sounds like Alf Garnett, although I can't talk because i've been told I sound like Ray Winston!

Looking forward to the next video.

Posted
Hi all, episode 2 is now available to view:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...iscussion;sess=

The third and final episode will be online tomorrow :doh:

Great stuff; I enjoyed the analysis on the MJO and its interaction with ENSO and the PDO. Some enlightening discussion on tropical convection and the Pacific which really helps expand understanding.

Posted
I will have to watch this later when I can connect to my stereo system. Even with the sound on 100% It is still very low on the laptop speakers.

Yea that was my issue.

Posted

Volume miles better! ;-D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I don't know why, but seeing people speak rather than write on the forum really helped my understanding. I suppose it's a combination of the background reading I have done and the introduction to the ideas that each of them have given on the forum and the fact that the information is being imparted by the way of a conversation, rather than slices of info presented on the forum alone.

I suppose what I am trying to say is:

Watching the video suddenly the info clicked in my head! Much more so than the individuals trying to explain these complex teleconnections via the forum.

Great work and I thank you all.