Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Todays Weather And General Weather Chat

MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
There has been some interesting low maxima, but overall min temperature has nothing out of the ordinary for cold spell in winter. The lack of any real low temps must be in part due to lack a decent covering of snow. If the condtions that prevailed last week over Scotland had occurred with a good covering of snow min would probably been significantly lower -15C/-20C.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

I think tonight that notorious cold spots in England (e.g. Shropshire) could get comfortably below -10c, which isn't something you see that often these days.

The sun should be reaching its strongest soon, and the temperature is only 0.7c, very little snow melt even in the sun, good sign =]

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
I think tonight that notorious cold spots in England (e.g. Shropshire) could get comfortably below -10c, which isn't something you see that often these days.

The sun should be reaching its strongest soon, and the temperature is only 0.7c, very little snow melt even in the sun, good sign =]

0.3°C and very little melt here either, we seem to be in a bit of a frost pocket in this area so I'm being cautiously optimistic of at least -8°C here, but time will tell.

Posted

Usually get somewhere in England has min below -10C most winters. Shap lowest at present with - 10.9C back in early December, I think. To get a min below -15C in England and Wales you need to go back to March 2001. This was last truely severe wintry spell to hit the UK, with severe blizzards and temps down to -20C in Highlands.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
nick if the snow sticks for the next 4 hours, i think theres a good chance it will last well into tomorrow(fingers crossed). temperature about 1 degree.

I have now reached 0.9c, the sun is reaching it's peak and still very little melting going on. There will be even less melting tomorrow, the BBC forecasted 3c today and I will probably barely reach 1c. They have forecasted 1c for tomorrow so I reckon I will get an ice day, especially with temperatures possibly flirting with negative double figures tonight.

Posted
Usually get somewhere in England has min below -10C most winters. Shap lowest at present with - 10.9C back in early December, I think. To get a min below -15C in England and Wales you need to go back to March 2001. This was last truely severe wintry spell to hit the UK, with severe blizzards and temps down to -20C in Highlands.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Indeed, there has been nothing unusual about this cold spell, in terms of intensity or duration. You could go through pretty much any winter pre 2003 and find something similar or colder. The only unusual thing about it is that it has happened at all, after recent years it didn't seem possible any more!

Posted
Indeed, there has been nothing unusual about this cold spell, in terms of intensity or duration. You could go through pretty much any winter pre 2003 and find something similar or colder. The only unusual thing about it is that it has happened at all, after recent years it didn't seem possible any more!

Lowest temps for each year in UK for last 100 years or so. Did have a list for England in a book somewhere.

link

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted
i got ignored last time, so ill ask again. what temperature do you need for a thaw?

Aww, im soz, I didnt mean to ignore you, im not sure really what temperature it needs to be for a thaw, but its still below freezing here and got widespread snow cover, however its pretty sunny now, so im sure the thaw wont be far behind!!!

Posted
Aww, im soz, I didnt mean to ignore you, im not sure really what temperature it needs to be for a thaw, but its still below freezing here and got widespread snow cover, however its pretty sunny now, so im sure the thaw wont be far behind!!!

no worries, sometimes small comments get trampled over. i still think its pretty knife-edge stuff as to whether this snow lays around. mind you, in apil, it took until 3 or 4 degrees to melt the snow i remember. saddleworth is at an advantage with the height.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
i got ignored last time, so ill ask again. what temperature do you need for a thaw?

Whether or not you get a thaw depends more on the dew point than the air temperature registered by the dry bulb.

If the dew point is below 0c there will only be thawing in direct sunshine, even if the air temperature is several degrees above 0c, but if the dew point rises above 0c there will be a thaw, even if it's only 0.1 or 0.2c above freezing.

Posted
Lowest temps for each year in UK for last 100 years or so. Did have a list for England in a book somewhere.

link

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

It would be interesting to see the England list, I would have thoought it would show a greater tendency for the coldest temps to have become more restricted to the Highlands. The list at least proves that this cold spell hasn't been anything spectacularly out of the ordinary, I think its been a while since such hard frosts have been experienced in southern England maybe, particularly the West Country?

Posted

Got down to -2.2c with a covering of snow better than expected really :)

Temps are currently 0.0c with sunny blue skies,it was cloudy for most of the morning with no thawing until the sun came out it`s thawing quickly in the sun where roofs were facing and steep fields are now,otherwise it won`t be in the shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

could this be the last snowy day before the milder air sweeps in after weekend.

well been reading alot of media and not only are people on net weather thinking could remain cold for more than predicted but media input aswell even forecasters are having a hard time with it.

but there could be more at the end of the weekend heres the link.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-ne...91466-22596492/

Posted
could this be the last snowy day before the milder air sweeps in after weekend.

well been reading alot of media and not only are people on net weather thinking could remain cold for more than predicted but media input aswell even forecasters are having a hard time with it.

but there could be more at the end of the weekend heres the link.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-ne...91466-22596492/

"Estimates suggest it will fall to as low as -5° overnight tonight and that will continue into tomorrow morning.If so, it will be one of the lowest temperatures recorded in the UK within the last decade."

Who writes this stuff?! The only thing I can think of is that they have missed a 1 before the 5.

Oh I've just realised, that's an old article! It's from Jan 3rd, it was talking about the weekend just gone.

Edited by nick2702

Castlebay Isle Of Barra

Outdoor temp 5c

Outdoor humidity 85%

Pressure 1027mb

Wind direction South

Wind speed 20mph

Gust 23mph

Cloud Height 964ft

Wet Bulb 4c

Rain in last 24hours 0.0mm

Total rainfall This Month 2.5mm

Dew Point 2.6c

Wind Chill -4c

Weather Partly cloudy sunny spells dry bright

Posted
"Estimates suggest it will fall to as low as -5° overnight tonight and that will continue into tomorrow morning.If so, it will be one of the lowest temperatures recorded in the UK within the last decade."

Who writes this stuff?! The only thing I can think of is that they have missed a 1 before the 5.

Oh I've just realised, that's an old article! It's from Jan 3rd, it was talking about the weekend just gone.

nick hows your snow doing? here its still pretty much intact still. a slight thaw on the front drive and the cars but the most of the road is still entrenched in snow. im strangely optimistic.

Posted
nick hows your snow doing? here its still pretty much intact still. a slight thaw on the front drive and the cars but the most of the road is still entrenched in snow. im strangely optimistic.

I would say 95% (where it hasn't been gritted) still remains. The sun is on its way down now so the temperatures should follow suit. Now 1c. Talking about being gritted, our road has had some thrown onto it, creating pools of water, which will cause havoc in the morning I would have thought. I still believe this snow will stay for a couple of days yet.

Posted

Cloud come back here sun is still yet out but will be going in, but temps have lifted,thats to be expected at 0.3c

Posted

Time 15:15 Greece time

Air temperature : 11,7 C

Humidity : 68 %

Wind : NE 16 km/h

Pressure rel : 1011,6 hpa steady

Dew point : 6,1 C

clouds : 7/8 stratocumulus

Daily rain : 4,0 mm

Rain month : 4,0 mm

Rain year 2009 : 0,0 mm

Greek weather stations top 100

http://greece.gotop100.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Woke to a covering this morning, I was first to drive uo our road which is up hill, the car just about made it which the ice.

Posted
It would be interesting to see the England list, I would have thoought it would show a greater tendency for the coldest temps to have become more restricted to the Highlands. The list at least proves that this cold spell hasn't been anything spectacularly out of the ordinary, I think its been a while since such hard frosts have been experienced in southern England maybe, particularly the West Country?

List is from The Weather of Britain by Rob stirling only goes from 1940 up to 1993.

England lowest Mins

1939 Newport -15

1940 Bodiam, -21.1

1941 Houghall -21.1

1942 Woburn -15.5

1943 Buxton -10.5

1944 Belpher, Walsall, Newport -12.7C

1945 Shobdon -18.5

1946 South Farnborough -13.3

1947 Houghall -21.1

1948 East Malling -15.0

1949 Farnham,Haughall,Goudhurst -9.4