Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Nw England

Spurry

Posted
rain clouds are usually from the west,from the east its normally snow.

its a tale of a split really in the NW of England,here just east of manchester its pretty good,away towards the wirall and blackpool etc its a different ballgame being a snowfan i would HATE to live there to be honest

To be fair the showers are actually penetrating westwards really well, sometimes its just an east coast and east facing upslopes event. At least they are getting into the NW, even if rapidly losing intensity as you move west. Ramsbottom area had about 5cm and more falling this morning - but no real heavy snow. Driving westwards on the commute to work, there is a decent covering in north Blackburn, but less than the other side of the hill, and then just a smattering along by the M6 and into Lancaster.

Whats the heads up for the frontal snow later today - is it going to slide to the East or hit our region??

Posted

Not had that much in Wythenshawe but traffics at a virtual standstill

and I have to get to Hull today via train... is it worth running the risk?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Just been out to measure again, a good 9cm, the deepest since mar 2006 possibly Feb 2005.

To be fair the showers are actually penetrating westwards really well, sometimes its just an east coast and east facing upslopes event. At least they are getting into the NW, even if rapidly losing intensity as you move west. Ramsbottom area had about 5cm and more falling this morning - but no real heavy snow. Driving westwards on the commute to work, there is a decent covering in north Blackburn, but less than the other side of the hill, and then just a smattering along by the M6 and into Lancaster.

Whats the heads up for the frontal snow later today - is it going to slide to the East or hit our region??

The forecast is for it to be mostly up the eastern side of the country, but the charts suggest that it should affect the NW too. I guess it may depend on the interplay with the Pennines as we have already seen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
lol its getting a tad frustrating now that gap seems to just envelop this area and there are plenty of showers south and north of here i think,c'mon showers get moving in this direction now

Morning All

Very Dissapointing in Cheshire this morning about 1cm of lying Snow At the Moment

And currently Crisp Winter Sunshine.I Have a Horrible feeling we are going to miss out

Yet Again :o As for the heavy Snow Tonight Its looks like at the Moment it is going to slide

To East of us yet again the Pennines probably getting a right Dumping but anywere West

Of the Pennines looks Very Dissapointing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
hi james been clear here for over an hour now but i think there might be some more showers getting their act togehter to the east,can u confirm that pls. :o

There are some more showers heading this way but they are very hit and miss.

post-6315-1233567175_thumb.png

Edited by James M

Posted

Well, only a coiple of cm here at the mo, but not complaining as it's the most I've seen since moving here 5 years ago. Keeping fingers crossed for later due to the fact that nothing at all was really forecast for over here for this morning and look what's happened. Snow forecast for N.Ireland so surely it has to come past us lot first????

I live in hope...

Posted

Good question about the frontal, will it slide up the east or will we get some.

The BBC graphics on Saunday showed the snow shield operating on full for tonight but this morning forecast showed a good covering on top of manchester from about 9pm ish to the morning, it will be interesting to see how it has changed.

TEITS put up a link to a model theat only goes out to 54hrs, damned if I can find it now but that had a very good forecast on the precip, but ultimately you rely on the radar I suppose.

Poss more to come later this week.

Posted

When i left work in Liverpool at 0800 it was snowing very heavy but then turned to light snow on the M58, here in coppul their is about 2 inches of snow lying and bright winter sunshine hope we get a good dumping as the day goes on even better as i don't have to work till tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

phew - had a worrying spell of half an hours sunshine lol - clouded over and back to complete cloud cover and snowing heavily again

correction - close to blizzard conditions atm - visibility is down to less than 100m

Edited by V for Very Cold

Posted
phew - had a worrying spell of half an hours sunshine lol - clouded over and back to complete cloud cover and snowing heavily again

correction - close to blizzard conditions atm - visibility is down to less than 100m

Im looking forward to it.

Posted

Just turned to a blizzard here in Bury after about 1 hour of clear skies, looks like there is more to come on the radar.

Shadowfax

Posted
Good question about the frontal, will it slide up the east or will we get some.

The BBC graphics on Saunday showed the snow shield operating on full for tonight but this morning forecast showed a good covering on top of manchester from about 9pm ish to the morning, it will be interesting to see how it has changed.

TEITS put up a link to a model theat only goes out to 54hrs, damned if I can find it now but that had a very good forecast on the precip, but ultimately you rely on the radar I suppose.

Poss more to come later this week.

Thanks Cheshire Snow and Interitus. We are not in the direct firing line like places to the south and east, just have to hope some of the frontal energy survives the trip over the hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

the gfs precip type shows rain for tonight, is that likely?

Posted
the gfs precip type shows rain for tonight, is that likely?

It's possible but I think it's more likely to be snow on this side of the Pennines. It is just a computer model though so will show rain/sleet whenever the 850's are above -5°C even though under certain conditions it can snow above that.

Edited by James M

its getting a tad annoying now all these showers are missing me lol.

As for tonight i dont know i guess snow but temps awill incrase abit overnight.By the time the front clears it will be back below zero.

It's possible but it's more likely to be snow on this side of the Pennines I think. It is just a computer model though so will show rain/sleet whenever the 850's are above -5°C even though under certain conditions it can snow above that.

hi james very frustrating for the last couple of hoyrs are we just being unlucky or is it going a bit pear shaped for us at the moment?