Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks Pt 2

pottyprof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

How's the 'Extreme' snow event up there guys? Anyone approaching the 40/50cm mark yet? I notice milder temperature's are now flooding these areas (1/2C +)........ :D

The rainfall has recently eased here in Suffolk, so it must be heading north :D

Seasons

Posted
looking a bit marginal for you then, but if there is very light percip over you , when heavier stuff arrives your temps shud drop

yep and all that fresh covering from the light stuff isnt melting!!!! prob freezin onto the snow!!! really weird this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms
I work for Sheffield C.C. and the gritters have been working non stop for days. Just because you dont see them... And grit/salt is not a magic potion,it doesnt dissolve all below it like some acid....Do you really think they say oh bugger it we'll nip back for a coffee and 4 hrs kip.Local Government doesnt work like that :D

Fair enough and I let you of the hook, we're under BMBC :D

The thing is though, there's only 2 ways out of the depot, our way for the east and the other way for the west and we see them passing all the time usually.

they've only really been past maybe a handful of times in the last few days!

Posted

Hey everyone, areas currently seeing snow around nottingham north and east, will see nothing but precip turning to rain shortly...

This week looks promising for eastern coastal counties with a NNE wind blowing, with some heavy snow showers, also a transitional event on saturday for us too :D So we will get it! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well once again the news shows places with loads of snow and ridiculous headlines like 'greatest snow fall in 20 years' and yet still even though the forecast said 100% chance of snow it turned to sleet and then rained! And even when it did snow it was just fine crap that takes 505 years to accumulate - the odd burst of heavy flakes. Ultimately I disappointed - I knew I should have ignored the forecasts and paid more attention to the actual SSTs here on the coast.

Edited by rikki

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
Hey everyone, areas currently seeing snow around nottingham north and east, will see nothing but precip turning to rain shortly...

This week looks promising for eastern coastal counties with a NNE wind blowing, with some heavy snow showers, also a transitional event on saturday for us too :) So we will get it! :)

i hope you are right andrew, this has been a complete waste of time for us folk living near the coast. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
sleet here but should turn to snow as it gets more heavier!!!!

Hopefully it will, be with winds now coming from the east (where warmer the 850hPa temps are) I suspect now is the coldest it will be for your location tonight as. XCweather currently have Doncaster at 2C...............IMHO too high now to cause any problems due to snow.

It's a close call for those east of the Pennines now ~ very similar to East Anglia and Kent earlier on infact when the snow turned to rain sooner than the GFS prggd.

Good luck though to all and hope you all do well tonight with a good covering. :p

Seasons

Posted
all over, its sleeting, got alot of snow left to finish snow man off :)

I know I am 150m higher but that surely doesn't bode well for me either :cold: Which is quite disappointing as there is still quite alot of new PPN prepping up!

The mild sector must be more widespread as the GFS shows that it should be getting back to about -4 to -5 now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

I don't normally post, more of a lurker :) but just wanted to let you know.. Up here at Lodge moor we have about a foot of snow on the back garden and the current shower is comming down in big 50p size chunks.. I have taken a few shots of it,but hve no idea how to put the photos onto a post.

Posted
I don't normally post, more of a lurker :) but just wanted to let you know.. Up here at Lodge moor we have about a foot of snow on the back garden and the current shower is comming down in big 50p size chunks.. I have taken a few shots of it,but hve no idea how to put the photos onto a post.

I wish I was up near lodge moor, I bet the conditions are terrific :) Perhaps I am a little more borderline here as although the temperature is -0.1, the flakes are extremely small, more like ice pellets.

To upload a picture, whilst writing a post you will see two small tabs called 'Browse' and 'UPLOAD' to the bottom right hand side of the text box. First select 'Browse' and navigate to the file you want and double click it. Then, click the 'UPLOAD' tab and your picture will be uploaded to the post and finally, add the post.

I hope the explanation is clear enough for you as it is not always my forte. :cold:

Posted

Cheers :cold: I'll give it a try later on, still going for it up here. I feel worse than a kid at christmas I can't sleep! The O/H is getting mad with me for keeping him awake. Right I am off to take more piccys. Hopefully I'll be able to share some with you all later :)

Posted

Right here are a couple of shots of just outside the back door, I am afraid I am no David Bailey! Hopefully the snow wont melt before the morning and I'll be able to get some better shots of the depth of the entire garden. Its drifted so much I think I'll have to dig out the hens in the morning.The snows still falling up here, although the chunks are a little smaller now

post-8288-1233626567_thumb.jpg

post-8288-1233626624_thumb.jpg

post-8288-1233626671_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze

Just woken up in Mkt Harborough and dont seem to have had any thaw to speak of. Still about 5-6" of lying snow. Will be a thaw today and tomorrow though before the prospect of more dumps later in the week. Exciting stuff

Posted

Was a slight thaw as temps went above freezing. Only about 10% melted though with no effect to the grass and most paths were snow was heavy. Just the roads realy. Roads bad as they have now froze over. Not heard about school yet...

Edit: Its shut :):) :) :D

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks like it rained as there's a layer of ice on top of the snow. Depth 5 1/2 inches Main roads a mess and haven't been gritted early morning so early commuters will have some fun but seemingly driving better than last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Well, it didn't amount to much here, 5cm at best and

soon started thawing.

Heavy evening rain and the snow all but gone.

Just too near the coast and only c. 5metres ASL.

My man has safely gone to work on his motorbike today.

Disappointing, but I have enjoyed all the tales and pics from

everyone who has had a fair dollop, lol.

BL <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Well the deadly North Sea SSTs did for those of us within 10km of the coast and not on high ground yet again. This really is becoming a regular theme on east coast snow events in recent years. Even with a bit of altitude (not much) most of the snow was light and fitful and the 'snow' yesterday was actually sleet then rain. The Easter event and the late December 2006 event delivered significantly better results than this did - though it clearly was a belter the further inland you were.

I'm not expecting anything much this week tbh, even given favourable wind direction.

Posted

A slow thaw setting in, sun now moving round to the front. Doesn't seem to be much effect part from on the birth table and on the path were the covering was thin from the snow ball fight. Road on the front still very icy. With another frost tomorrow i suppose it will be even worse! Maybe some more snow Thursday and Friday

Posted

there is a thaw but its the slowest thaw i have ever came across and the roads look like they are going to be severely icy tonight its going to be harder to drive on than yesterday in heavy snow.

Posted

Not much of a thaw here that I can see here in Northants. Anyway, the weather warnings have been updated by the Met Office for Thurs/Fri:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=3

Northamptonshire is just in the orange zone-- "low risk of exceptionally severe event giving accumulations of 10 to 20cm" :D

Happy days if it's still there Thursday :lol:

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
Just see that, im in the yellow. Hopfully it will shift a little further north in to South Yorkshire :(

that's the trouble im on the extreme edge of that warning in Killamarsh :( plus the fact it's low down here aswell which doesn't help! i came back from Dronfield last night there was 3 times as much snow as there was in Killamarsh that just goes to show the difference a few meters can make.