Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks Pt 2

pottyprof

Posted

Has the forecast for Lincs changed in the last couple of hours?

We were forecast rain this evening and over night and there was a decided thaw setting in earlier but it's been snowing hard for a while now and all the gaps in the snow created by the kids making snowmen are completely covered up. Way more snow than we had yesterday evening. The milder air seems to have slipped off elsewhere.

Posted

We were forecast rain this evening and over night and there was a decided thaw setting in earlier but it's been snowing hard for a while now and all the gaps in the snow created by the kids making snowmen are completely covered up. Way more snow than we had yesterday evening. The milder air seems to have slipped off elsewhere.

Mild sector still moving north, things likely to turn more marginal as the night wears on.

Really bad conditions here, heaviest snowfall of this coldsnap and whiteout conditions on roads. If things are going to tirn less wintry later, at least we are going out with a bang! :)

Posted

One word describes have I feel and that is depressed. We had very little snow and covering yes but thats it. Raining here now which doesn't help. Then theres the news I am sick of seeing all the snow that seems to be everywhere except here. It would seem the whole country had at least 1cm. Im very jealous.I really hope we see something a bit more impressive later on in the week :)

Posted

It's been snowing here for hours but unfortunately it's really struggling to settle.

Quite a lot of lying snow left from last night and this morning though.

Edited by TOMB RAIDER LEGEND

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Mild sector was forecast by the models... Hence the blue over your area.

Yes but a couple of days ago it was definately saying it was going to stay South of the M4, what happened?

Anyway, looking at the map you posted, I do not see where the 40 cm the BBC are talking about at Ainley Top is coming from as it shows only sleet in Huddersfield. Are the Beeb simply wrong? They have sent their local (Hull) minor celebrity weatherman, Paul Hudson, there to witness the event!

I love weather but sometimes I am left completely flummoxed and this is one of those times. Paul Hudson was on Radio 4 at about 17:30...only a couple of hours ago.

Tony

Posted
It's been snowing here for hours but unfortunately it's really struggling to settle.

The temperature here has rised from 1 to 3 since I got home from work, guess thats the warm sector

Yes but a couple of days ago it was definately saying it was going to stay South of the M4, what happened?

Anyway, looking at the map you posted, I do not see where the 40 cm the BBC are talking about at Ainley Top is coming from as it shows only sleet in Huddersfield. Are the Beeb simply wrong? They have sent their local (Hull) minor celebrity weatherman, Paul Hudson, there to witness the event!

I love weather but sometimes I am left completely flummoxed and this is one of those times. Paul Hudson was on Radio 4 at about 17:30...only a couple of hours ago.

Tony

Tony

I saw the forecast from Paul and he was in Huddersfield, they had tons of snow and he said the worst was yet to come for them

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

Not my thread but its raining here in NE England.

Luckily we have a decent cover (had about 8cm at midday) but I was expecting a top up tonight, a fat top up! No can do.

Posted

Well I've had an awesome day. Somewhere between 4 to 5 inches here in Oakham (halfway between Peterborough and Leicester), most of which fell in the last 5 hours!

Great stuff!!

Posted

Unfortunately Lady Mcbeth we are under the milder air now in boston, been raining for the past 2 hours, snow now slush and thawing quite quickly.

Les

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
Not my thread but its raining here in NE England.

Luckily we have a decent cover (had about 8cm at midday) but I was expecting a top up tonight, a fat top up! No can do.

Ditto!

Are Beeb wrong then? I guess they must be but this was only 2 hours ago. I simply don't get it.

Posted
Unfortunately Lady Mcbeth we are under the milder air now in boston, been raining for the past 2 hours, snow now slush and thawing quite quickly.

Les

Hi Les

Perhaps that is headed our way. I really don't want to drive in what's out there right now. I'm just south of Lincoln on a hill and it has got colder after a late afternoon thaw and snowing hard and accumulating right now.

Posted
Ditto!

Are Beeb wrong then? I guess they must be but this was only 2 hours ago. I simply don't get it.

I think altitude is the key tonight, anything below 200m will struggle. I thought it would snow here until midnight based on what i saw this morning on the tv, but that has changed dramatically, having said that on n24 at 7.30 snow was shown in your area until midnight

Posted

End of the cold snap here now.Raining and temp's rising quite quickly up to 1.2 from 0c an hour ago.Pretty much according to forecast, mild sector has taken over.Can't complain.5cm's lying which is what i expected this morning.Surprised when i got out of my car in Hull to find just about 1cm.As i stated a couple of days ago goes to show just how localised these events can be .

I think one thing which may have surpised some people was the lack of intensity in the showers overnight for some locations.

Have fun everyone in the pennines and keep safe.

Posted
Well I've had an awesome day. Somewhere between 4 to 5 inches here in Oakham (halfway between Peterborough and Leicester), most of which fell in the last 5 hours!

Great stuff!!

You are not too far from me, a few miles yet all I got today was a dusting this morning which quickly melted then the odd shower throughout the day which melted and nothing more.

Gutted :lol:

Posted
I think altitude is the key tonight, anything below 200m will struggle. I thought it would snow here until midnight based on what i saw this morning on the tv, but that has changed dramatically, having said that on n24 at 7.30 snow was shown in your area until midnight

People can take some hope from my situation, just 25 metres ASL and heavy snow continuing to accumilate nicely here. Over 10cm's again grass and tabletops, considerably less on pavements but certainly could be described as a very "generous covering". :lol: Still falling now, perhaps even heavier than it has been doing recently.

Posted

It's turned to rain here as well in the last half hour, 10 miles from the coast. TEITS - you were wrong!!!!!!!!

Now 0.9c DP -0.4, so a bit surprising.

Posted
Hi Les

Perhaps that is headed our way. I really don't want to drive in what's out there right now. I'm just south of Lincoln on a hill and it has got colder after a late afternoon thaw and snowing hard and accumulating right now.

I work at Sleaford and there can be a big difference in temperatures with Boston being nearer to the coast and being further inland. You might have some sleet or rain but not for long, then below freezing for the rest of the night.

Les

Posted

OH MY DAYS, THT LOOKS HEAVY and moving ever so slowly towards me wooooooooop amazing, constant 0c with -1dew

Posted

Just checked on Google Earth and I am at 74m ASL so perhaps that is why I have snow accumulating and Grimsby, Hull, Boston and Sleaford have rain. :)

Posted
TEITS - you were wrong!!!!!!!!

He always predicted things would be much more marginal in areas near the coast.

Posted
People can take some hope from my situation, just 25 metres ASL and heavy snow continuing to accumilate nicely here. Over 10cm's again grass and tabletops, considerably less on pavements but certainly could be described as a very "generous covering". :) Still falling now, perhaps even heavier than it has been doing recently.

You are very lucky Polar Low enjoy it wont you and make a snowball for me :D

Posted
  • Location: Melton Mowbray Leciestershire (282ft above sea level)
  • Location: Melton Mowbray Leciestershire (282ft above sea level)

Snow still falling in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. large flakes blowing across the lampost..

post-7938-1233605477_thumb.jpg

This is my backyard about 30 mins ago

post-7938-1233605542_thumb.jpg