Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorks Pt 2

pottyprof

Posted

The heaviest PPN just keeps developing then stalling over the Lincoln/Newark/Grantham area... has been doing so for the last hour!

Significant accumilations in these areas by morning I feel, despite the fact things may turn sleety for a time later tonight.

Posted

From what I recall of the forecasts this evening - both national and local, the stress was on the heavy snowfall being over the Pennines. My nearest weather station in terms of altitude is Buxton where the temp is currently -1.1°C, dewpoint -3.3°C.

The Netweather radar seems a little confused about the extent of the warm sector at the moment, we are apparently getting sleet, but outside it is driving snow in a stiff breeze.

Posted
Just checked on Google Earth and I am at 74m ASL so perhaps that is why I have snow accumulating and Grimsby, Hull, Boston and Sleaford have rain. :)

This was mentioned that the snow may turn to rain, its always difficult in these situations to get it right, better luck next time for us.

Les

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

In view of the fact that it is due to get colder again, with the departure of the mild sector and the snow down South, is there any chance it will turn back to snow again or are all of us in Hull, Grimsby and Langtoft (which is quite high up and well North of here) get any more snow?

I was working today - first day of new job - but was hoping another good dump overnight as the Beeb were forecasting for here only a couple of hours ago, would mean a day off for me.

here's hoping.....

Posted
This was mentioned that the snow may turn to rain, its always difficult in these situations to get it right, better luck next time for us.

Les

Lets hope that later on in the week delivers for us, probably wont knowing our luck but hey...fingers crossed

Posted

still snowing here after about 1.5 hours of small ice flakes its now back to PROPER flakes and yes, its still accumalating.

12 cms now. and met off radar is showing another area of heavy snow heading in a westerly direction.

Posted

Well it's been a bit pants in south yorkshire tonight. Prob about 4 inches of lying snow,

Im not sure if we are expected to get anymore tonight, what we have had so far is like drizzle snow (snizzle)

Was hoping for something heavier, but I guess thats the way the cookie crumbles

My location is Swinton, near mexborough by the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
still snowing here after about 1.5 hours of small ice flakes its now back to PROPER flakes and yes, its still accumalating.

12 cms now. and met off radar is showing another area of heavy snow heading in a westerly direction.

Still snowing here aswell, not heavy but it's still accumilating. I make that continious snowfall now since 1:40pm, incredible to be honest and I just went out onto the lawn to check the depth and it covered my shoe easily. on rough measurement I reckon 10cm or so on the lawn.

Well it's been a bit pants in south yorkshire tonight. Prob about 4 inches of lying snow,

Im not sure if we are expected to get anymore tonight, what we have had so far is like drizzle snow (snizzle)

Was hoping for something heavier, but I guess thats the way the cookie crumbles

My location is Swinton, near mexborough by the way

Big blob of heavy PPN heading that way though, probably arrive in an hour or so.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nice to see the Net Weather Radar get it wrong for once the right way round. According to the radar it's sleeting here. Nope Snow folks. Most of this winter it's being showing snow when it's been rain. Compared to last year it's hasn't been very reliable.

Still snowing mainly light stuff with the odd heavier burst.

Posted

ANDY. looks like me and you have done well out of this today, hopefully some more tonight and later this week, I'm at 160m and family at 200m. I was up on the Newhaven to Buxton road at 2.00pm and they had 3 to 4 inches then, so god only knows whats accumalated up there now. I will traveling around the Peak District tommorrow and getting paid for it so could be some big falls of snow try and gat some picture.

heres hoping for more tonight.

Posted
ANDY. looks like me and you have done well out of this today, hopefully some more tonight and later this week, I'm at 160m and family at 200m. I was up on the Newhaven to Buxton road at 2.00pm and they had 3 to 4 inches then, so god only knows whats accumalated up there now. I will traveling around the Peak District tommorrow and getting paid for it so could be some big falls of snow try and gat some picture.

heres hoping for more tonight.

mark,

we have got loads !! i,m just outside buxton and it will be interesting to see how many cars are on the roads first thing, not many i think :(

Posted
Nice to see the Net Weather Radar get it wrong for once the right way round. According to the radar it's sleeting here. Nope Snow folks. Most of this winter it's being showing snow when it's been rain. Compared to last year it's hasn't been very reliable.

Still snowing mainly light stuff with the odd heavier burst.

It seems like the precpitation type on the NW Radar is based upon the models rather than what is actually ocurring as earlier it had a straight edged block of green which didn't move whilst the snow moved around it.

Hopefully the heavier band over lincolnshire will make it's way around here within the next hour or so. What do you think PIT?

I can't see MetO's and BBC's predictions of 15-20 cm here tonight though, not really a chance unless some drastic intensification occurs.

Posted

Ive just been out in the car and the snow has turned to rain.

can't complain though as i had a few inches of snow during lastnight and this morning.

Posted

Still snowing right now in Lea which is next to Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. Somewhat surprising after a poor afternoon which was mostly sleety rain.

Right now the temp is 0.4 deg C in my back yard (don't know how accurate).

Posted

It's fine stuff at the moment but it's still comming down here :(

We've got plenty of slush on the roads too and I've been hearing of some accidents as a result (of people not knowing how to take their foot off the accelerator...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

To my surprise the snow has picked up intensity here. It has been light snow grains for the past hour or so and now it is moderate snow with medium size flakes! Everything falling is settling too, I don't know how much longer this can keep up but it's 7 hours continious snowfall here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Hopefully the heavier band over lincolnshire will make it's way around here within the next hour or so. What do you think PIT?

I can't see MetO's and BBC's predictions of 15-20 cm here tonight though, not really a chance unless some drastic intensification occurs.

That bit of heavier snow seems glued in one spot and not moving at all. The moors certainly will get 15cm to 20 cm. Anyway we can't complain as we got a heavier bit of snow this late afternoon which could have missed out on and be walking around in slush.

Posted
Ive just been out in the car and the snow has turned to rain.

can't complain though as i had a few inches of snow during lastnight and this morning.

its not rain here cos its settled on cars giving 2cm! and that area of ppn is heading for me, constant 0c with -1c dew, could it be the elevation?

Posted

Hi Keviwal.

i 'm hoping to visit Biggin, hartington, then chelmorton. Take out then 11 honda, couple paving slabs in the back and some old carpet, shovel and a flask of soup, HA HA just like the 80's.

this has been great today, not made my top 10 by a long way probable not my top 20 snow events BUT compared to last few years its been good. Long time since had a whole day of snow showers and 7 hours of continous snow. Hell after it freezes we look like we will get a top up on the old stuff, NOW thats not happened for long time in the lowlands of Matlock.

enjoy the deep stuff.

Posted

Looks like thats it for tonight, snow grains just falling now. Dew point exactly 0.0c. Will post some pictures after. Looks like its not going anywhere fast so should all be there in the morning. School hopefully cancelled because all that slush on the roads is going to freeze later tonight. Really has been an amaising day here :lol:

Posted

Evening you lively lot!! Thats more than can be said for the "snow party" which has rather too quickly changed into a "rain dance" at least in this neck of the woods.

To those who have got snow - enjoy :)

Posted
its not rain here cos its settled on cars giving 2cm! and that area of ppn is heading for me, constant 0c with -1c dew, could it be the elevation?

Just lucky i guess :)

Constant heavy rain here and it will be very icy in the morning if it freezes later :):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

We keep having spells of light/ grainy snow, but it keeps on coming back!

this was taken around 3:50pm:

post-9352-1233608850_thumb.jpg

Now:

post-9352-1233608900_thumb.jpg

The car was clear at 3:45pm as we'd only just got back from the local village, now it's got a decent covering:

post-9352-1233609013_thumb.jpg

Currently, we're in one of the moderate falls:

post-9352-1233609108_thumb.jpg

long may it continue! :)