Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted

Front road is like an Ice Rink Already, Back Garden has been reduced from 11cm down to 7cm now, but all precip seems to have cleared here now, so hopeful of the clearance and hopefully we can keep a cover. Have kept the Back Garden Untouched for the Kids after they get back from School tomorrow, so hopefully if we keep 5cm they can still have fun tomorrow when they get back from school

Paul S

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

A great day today- many hours of snow, sledging fun with my boys and wife and recorded on the famliy camcorder to boot, plus, my boys' first snowman made, the stuff memories are made of - oh, and being sent home from work!!

Right down here in the valley I think all the snow's gone, i believe theres a couple of inches left up on the hills where I was earlier. What a day:-)

Posted

Reading reports of 'the worst snow for 18 years', seems to have been quite a day!

I live in Eastbourne and here we have had virtually nothing - a dusting of approximately 1 - 2 cms last night and although it has been snowing all day it has been relatively light and there has been no real accumulation. The small amount of laying snow has all but disappeared now. It is surprising that just to the west in Brighton and Seaford there has been 6 inches or more - so much so that all the buses have been cancelled all day! To the east at Hastings and places in south Kent all seem to have had more snow. All I can surmise is that it has something to do with the unique geographic location - that we have the south downs immediately to the west and the land here juts out to sea somewhat. It is also interesting to note that when we had snow last Easter Eastbourne had a massve drop of 7 inches measured on my patio, whilst just a couple of miles away all around and elsewhere had only 1 - 2 inches - what is going on?

I would be interested to have any views.

Anyone else in Eastbourne will confirm.

Posted
Paul.B just a quick note....Is thursday a good chance for snow...or tomorrow for Glos..or is it over.

thx,,,

Paul.S.......lol...........Ive only had 1 and a half inch :)

Every chance mate, its a case of watching and seeing how things develop. I certainly wouldn't say its over.

My 1cm is nearly gone now, lol.

Posted

what 1cm... :lol:

Man I thought you were in the firing line...so Im not the only one....did get 3 massive beefy showers which was nic e to see....

Thanks will put the Fat Lady back in the box....it aint over until the fat lady sings..

I think Paul.S as a IGLOO by now....

cheers

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Every chance mate, its a case of watching and seeing how things develop. I certainly wouldn't say its over.

My 1cm is nearly gone now, lol.

My 4cm is rapidly melting too - not really been a good event for East Suffolk... Last night was the best bit when the snow was powdery rather than wet like it was today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Just been outside and cant believe how quick its thawing, dripping from all places, down to about 3cm -4 cms, from 8-9cm this afternoon, even the snowman is melting quicker then i thought he would :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
Reading reports of 'the worst snow for 18 years', seems to have been quite a day!

I live in Eastbourne and here we have had virtually nothing - a dusting of approximately 1 - 2 cms last night and although it has been snowing all day it has been relatively light and there has been no real accumulation. The small amount of laying snow has all but disappeared now. It is surprising that just to the west in Brighton and Seaford there has been 6 inches or more - so much so that all the buses have been cancelled all day! To the east at Hastings and places in south Kent all seem to have had more snow. All I can surmise is that it has something to do with the unique geographic location - that we have the south downs immediately to the west and the land here juts out to sea somewhat. It is also interesting to note that when we had snow last Easter Eastbourne had a massve drop of 7 inches measured on my patio, whilst just a couple of miles away all around and elsewhere had only 1 - 2 inches - what is going on?

I would be interested to have any views.

Anyone else in Eastbourne will confirm.

Hi mate, still have around an inch of snow here in on the grass in langney rise way in eastbourne. yes lots of melt on the paths but in areas not driven walked on still quite deep. Went into eastbourne town earlier and most has melted there but understandable really. By the way the snow last night was very heavy and we had about 5cm in a few hours...

Posted
what 1cm... :)

Man I thought you were in the firing line...so Im not the only one....did get 3 massive beefy showers which was nic e to see....

Thanks will put the Fat Lady back in the box....it aint over until the fat lady sings..

I think Paul.S as a IGLOO by now....

cheers

No Mate that is Steve Murr who has the Igloo In the Alpine Part of Bexleyheath :)

7cm left but drip drip dripping sounds from all gutters, still quite a bit of snow on the roofs so as this moves towards the edge and freezes I will be on the look out for Icicles in the Morning, BTW Have to show you the Kids Snowman, He is MASSIVE! :D

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

My tiny little brain can't quite handle how much snow is sitting outside. But maybe someone can help: normally, i'm quite good working out where snow risk will come from, but the MetO have another weather warning for the SE tomorrow. The radar picture is just a mass of showers and I can't work it out.

Where is the snow risk meant to come from?

Cheers peeps

Posted

Sleeting now, it shouldn't melt away too much of the snow. It's going to be treacherous once skies clear, there's a few puddles and slush all over the roads which will freeze.

Posted

Hi folks.Me again. I done the North Lowestoft to Chichester run. Roads were quite empty ,so it was like a Sunday afternoon drive and took the same time as it normally does.I had about 10 minutes heavy snow south of the Dartford Crossing and a few wisps here and there.Apart from that it was a good journey.

Posted

Grrrrrr. Double whammy. What little snow we've had is now going under the rain.

Has Norwich (and probably most of Norfolk) ever suffered so badly from such a dream set up so close by?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Went for a great snow walk with my fiancee this aft., nearly 6 miles altogether. For those of you who know the area, decided to go due south to Bromley. Left home with about 5" on the ground. Just after Grove Park you cross the Borough boundary from Lewisham to Bromley and you start to gain a little elevation and it was noticeable that the depth of snow was on the increase. Just before you get to Bromley theres a park, near Sundridge Park, totals there were nearer 7/8ins, with drifts close to a foot. It snowed moderately in Bromley all afternoon and the town centre wasnt that busy and I managed to take some nice piccies in a very scenic looking Churchill Gardens, sorry but unable to post them. I wanted to press on to Bromley Common and Keston, as Biggin Hill was a no-no, but wasnt too sure how bad the weather was going to get. Should imagine totals in the Keston area circa 10 ins and as we've heard a foot plus in Biggin Hill. Decided to be sensible and head back to Lee, as we headed out of Bromley, snowflakes became larger and thought dew points, as the forecast suggested, were becoming marginal. As we got closer to Lee noticed that the snow hitting my face started to feel quite wet. Got back after 5 and the ppn started to fizzle and became sleety.

On looking at the radar returns, we seemed to have just stayed in the ppn area but just about managed to hold our dew point low enough for snow, very close run thing though.

I have vague memories of the 62/63 winter and obviously very fond memories of other memorable snowfalls since and I have to say a 7/8 inch fall for the Bromley area is very respectable and is up there with some of the notable snowfalls for this area.

My fiancee and I also noticed how desperately birds were scavaging around for food and she made a point of feeding them with something she found in her handbag, bless. One other thing I noticed about today was how polite people were to each other and it was great to see the wonder and joy in kids faces, some of them have waited a long time and they certainly made up for it with some great looking snowmen and some huge balls of snow.

Its been great reading all of your experiences in the last few days and I wonder whether the mods have any ideas of putting a thread together summarising this spell and perhaps we could get some input from the technical guys re.the synoptics, etc that occurred.

Lets hope the SW event can throw up some more juicy synoptics and decent snowfalls as we go through the rest of Feb. and who knows, March.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Still got some very light snow here, it does appear to be a tad on the warm side, with some melting going on, but i have measured a peak of 7 inches of level snow, thats not bad for this day and age. Looking forward to more later in the week METO have another warning out for SE on Thursday, heavy snow and drifting.

Posted
My tiny little brain can't quite handle how much snow is sitting outside. But maybe someone can help: normally, i'm quite good working out where snow risk will come from, but the MetO have another weather warning for the SE tomorrow. The radar picture is just a mass of showers and I can't work it out.

Where is the snow risk meant to come from?

Cheers peeps

The Telegraph Online claiming another foot of snow for London and South East within next 24 hours.

Telegraph: Heavy snow forecast for next 24 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

All the news and papers are forecasting another foot for tonight and tomorrow in the south, nothing forecast Im afraid to say and nothing on the models! More snow later in the week tho..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Anyone noticed the light ppn in Kent which had turned to sleet/rain has started to turn back to light snow already, just means the cold air is moving in faster than anticipated...all in SE under -5's by midnight maybe, wish there was some PPN to join it too :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

It was forecast yesterday to snow today and tonight but I think it hasn't come to light and nobody has told the papers.

Looks like we will be hanging on to the snow here tonight by the skin of our teeth before it dies out and then freezes the roads over.

Not sure about the work / school situation tomorrow, may go to work if the roads are cleared but keep the kids off another day as they somehow wrangled a sleepover tonight.

Posted

Evening Folks

Well, whats all the fuss about.... just driven from Bordeaux to Lewisham, not a single hold up or problem, made it in the time I usually do in the dry. So I guess congratulations to the authorities for keeping the main roads of France and Kent clear....

Now just have to get to Stansted airport to rescue my other car from the airport car park, that might be a bit more of a challenge than the drive I've just done.

Cheers

FC

Posted

Well what an anti-climax today was! It did snow and threaten to settle a little bit during late morning, but by the time the clock ticked past 12:00 the snow soon turned to sleet and then by 16:00 it turned to rain. Were we not supposed to get a good few hours of the white stuff?! I prefer not to think what might have been had all that sleet and rain today decided to be snow! Ah well never mind, the nasty rain will live to regret melting the snow into slush, when it all freezes over tonight! mwahahaha!!!

Posted

Folks

I have to say I did not see a single snow flake falling over the entire drive from Bordeaux to Lewisham,. Lots and lots of rain even in Kent I only saw rain.

Cheers

Fc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
Folks

I have to say I did not see a single snow flake falling over the entire drive from Bordeaux to Lewisham,. Lots and lots of rain even in Kent I only saw rain.

Cheers

Fc

That's because I have them all!

post-5592-1233607810_thumb.jpg