Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
They issued the warnings at 12.05 as you say but surely if they had just held off for a few hours and looked at new data they themselves were producing it may not have been required. The BBC News forecasts around lunch time, when they are watched by high numbers also showed big snow event over London etc for Thursday. Again a few hours later this changed. Not a good afternoon for either really.

You will find that the MetO will start to show snow slightly South. They have realised that the charts are not accurate at this stage.

Posted

Really. That is not what latest forecast on BBC indicated. Or from latest available models inc UKMO.

You will find that the MetO will start to show snow slightly South. They have realised that the charts are not accurate at this stage.

Posted

I think you are right.

Theres no way just yet that the snow event can be accurately forecast.

Tomorrow will see the charts alter for and against this as the day goes on. It really is going to be a close call.

Fingers and toes crossed then.!

Posted

Hmm i recorded the Countryfile forecast for future reference and it is proving useful now. Back on Sunday they were forecasting snow for the Midlands on Thursday with this shifting northwestwards for Friday.

Now the snow earlier was forecast for the Midlands/SE England but this is shifting northwestwards - a revert back to their original idea from two days ago i wonder? Were the models to progressive to start with today? I hope not!

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
Timmy have just been calling it from the Models thats all, The Channel Low scenario is one of the hardest Set-Ups to Model and can still change down to T12, Even the slightest shift in track could see 1 place either getting Snow or Rain, It is that finely balanced not like the Cold Pool that came over on Sunday (Eg everything that fell was going to be Snow)

My gut feeling 1st thing this morning was for the Rain for all of Thursday turning to back edge Snow for a few hours over Friday/Saturday and I was somewhat surprised to see the Meto Outlook, there is a post if you can find it somewhere in the debris.

Paul S

Completely understand Paul and I think your head was better than Meto but your heart was not with your head for that short bit of time when you were chasing a high ramp mark :D

Interestingly the BBC are holding the snow a little bit further South than I would have thought the latest runs were suggesting.....but even so it's still got to come a long way south before we start getting excited again ;)

Posted
Completely understand Paul and I think your head was better than Meto but your heart was not with your head for that short bit of time when you were chasing a high ramp mark :D

Interestingly the BBC are holding the snow a little bit further South than I would have thought the latest runs were suggesting.....but even so it's still got to come a long way south before we start getting excited again ;)

Well, Francis Wilson from Sky News weather is going for snow further South on Thursday with significant snow in the SE on Friday.

BBC London weather forecaster 'Peter' is also going for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Well, Francis Wilson from Sky News weather is going for snow further South on Thursday with significant snow in the SE on Friday.

I'd have to agree with Francis and Peter this evening. IMHO the GFS can't grasp the fact that this low will be 200 miles further southeast......... :o

Get ready for a snowfeast guys, this is going to be the best fall for years!!!! :o

Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

lets hope so. i think for thursday we will struggle. it might be transient snow at best. but if the front pushes back south east, and cold air digs in behind it sufficiently, then we could see proper snow on friday into saturday.

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

dont forget aswell earlier today everything was in place for a snow fest :o

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
I'd have to agree with Francis and Peter this evening. IMHO the GFS can't grasp the fact that this low will be 200 miles further southeast......... :)

Get ready for a snowfeast guys, this is going to be the best fall for years!!!! :o

Seasons

Lies tis all lies!!!! :D

:) Would be nice though :o

Oh and Paul Sherman , wind direction thats why it went tits up for our area anyway :(

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Wow - Pretty Strong Statement There :)

I'd have to agree with Francis and Peter this evening. IMHO the GFS can't grasp the fact that this low will be 200 miles further southeast......... :(

Seasons

Wow Pretty Strong Statement There :D

Lies tis all lies!!!! :)

:) Would be nice though :o

Oh and Paul Sherman , wind direction thats why it went tits up for our area anyway :(

You will be surprised Neil, Not only Wind Direction at Play on Sunday Night, Like I say will post a detailed thread in a few days when I have all the charts and facts etc.

Posted

I would love to just follow whatever forecast brings me the most snow, but doing that just sets you up for a fall.

We've seen the latest charts and faxes and they pretty much tie in with the SE not getting this 'exceptional' snow. There is always a chance something could be wrong and the weather will always do what it wants, but there is no use in clutching straws.

Be fully prepared that tomorrow those oranges and yellows will gone from the SE corners.

It is a bit gutting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
I would love to just follow whatever forecast brings me the most snow, but doing that just sets you up for a fall.

We've seen the latest charts and faxes and they pretty much tie in with the SE not getting this 'exceptional' snow. There is always a chance something could be wrong and the weather will always do what it wants, but there is no use in clutching straws.

Be fully prepared that tomorrow those oranges and yellows will gone from the SE corners.

It is a bit gutting.

i doubt it mate, this morning everthing was hunky doory, could start allover again with the 0z :rolleyes:

Posted

It is a bit gutting.

and watch those oranges return for late friday! well thats just my opinion

Posted

well i'm very disgruntled :rolleyes:

all that snow we was supposed to get came to nothing,now looks like we have next to no chance again with the next potential event.

Think I might book a week away to Trondheim to see the family and some real winter weather.

Family in norway called this evening and found it hilarious with regard to our country's poor handling of winter conditions.

it'll be my luck that i will go there and it will snow here lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Check this out.......

I drove from herne bay to whitstable , some snow

past faversham , more snow on the grass

past sittingbourne , all the fields covered

to Hempstead valley , everything covered it even looked as if the roads had been cleared , drifts on the side.

to Rainham , again snow everywhere

And finally to gillingham , lots of snow on the cars less so on the roads but VERY icy

Even though i generally stayed at the same level east to west , the snow amounts increased more and more its almost as if the showers gained intensity the further west i went let alone the frontal snow!. Incredible

Edited by neilsouth

That 528 line is the feature and at the moment until about midday on Friday it does not appear to be favouring us down here. At the same time a lot can happen in the meantime.

Posted
well i'm very disgruntled :rolleyes:

all that snow we was supposed to get came to nothing,now looks like we have next to no chance again with the next potential event.

Think I might book a week away to Trondheim to see the family and some real winter weather.

Family in norway called this evening and found it hilarious with regard to our country's poor handling of winter conditions.

it'll be my luck that i will go there and it will snow here lol

it has to be said that its pathetic how the uk (especially in the south) cant cope with a bit of snow. i've been to finland a few times in winter where in heavy snow and temps of -20 no one bats an eyelid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Really looking forward to all the snow now. Francis and Peter are well respected forecasters and IMHO have this nailed. Big backtracks on the GFS on the 00z and 06z with the low 200 miles southeast. :D

This is going to be a memorable snowfeast that many will look upon as the best for years!!! :rolleyes::doh:

Terrific times ahead guys............. :D

Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

It is a bit gutting.

As things stand yes, those Weather warnings need to be moved a good 50/100 miles further North, but its still there for now so I would not be very impressed if they are going to just leave it til the morning.

Lots of hopecasting tonight :doh: . Althogh it makes me think of the countless times I have been looking forward to heavy snow from Channel lows in the past, just as it looked in the bag at T24/36.............Whooooooooooooooops, everything shifts 100 miles further SOUTH :rolleyes: and Northern France gets hammered!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
I'll open a new thread, for you good people, in a minute or so :rolleyes:

Many thanks GMG, this one is getting a bit long. :doh: