Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

J10

Posted

That BBC weather page with the radar looks pretty accurate to me. Even though the PPN is only over the North of the West Country for a few hours, that will be more then enough time to leave a few inches because of how heavy the showers are.

I disagree that it wont settle, maybe if it was light or moderate snow, but usually when there's heavy snow it sticks alot easier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
IM SURE IT WILL...they do seem confident about us :clap:

Even my temperature has gone through the roof! its now 3.2c

I just left for work 4 hours late because we were waiting for snow plugh to sort our road out and then i got stuck leaving the village on a37 because of a lorry which has jack knifed! :ph34r: no work today at least haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

2.4C here with a dp of 0.8C ... winds from the East tho.

Posted
That BBC weather page with the radar looks pretty accurate to me. Even though the PPN is only over the North of the West Country for a few hours, that will be more then enough time to leave a few inches because of how heavy the showers are.

I disagree that it wont settle, maybe if it was light or moderate snow, but usually when there's heavy snow it sticks alot easier.

How can it not settle the roads are still white here.

Posted
hi every one ... well even though we have had rain still got snow on the hills which sadly will all be gone in the next few hours as this next batch of RAIN moves in. noway is this going to fall as snow here with dew points of 3 and temps up to 4c ..

Now im not being negative just cant see how it wil snow for us in the far south west at all now.. NOT even tomorrow we are just to far south. I think the line will be from Wales, anything below that willl get rain. TBH if it did snow it wouldnt stick :mellow: ..

Im just happy with what we had.. now its time to move on and look towards the summer storms as i cant see us getting anymore this winter.. But for all those that do have fun :D

kaz xx

hi ya BB i hope love ya post hope your right, i did'nt post that up to be a negative pain, i just cant see where anymoor snow is going to come from, plus ground temps are rising making it very difficult for falling snow to settle even if it was a huge dumping.. I want people to disagree with me :lol: ... Me wants more snow (stamps foot) but im sad to say i think thats it for us :cray: and im an optermist to..

kaz x

Edited by kaz

Posted

I still think west country has a damn good shot at this i mean if you look at met office west forecast it shows snow nearly all way through until mid day tomoro, turning to rain and then heavy snow showers by 6pm again and that was the update around the same time as the revised warnings.

Posted
How can it not settle the roads are still white here.

Sorry i worded that badly, I meant to say I think it WILL settle because of how heavy the showers are.

Its starting to give me a headache now i've been on here too long lately, ill be back on this evening. If we dont get Heavy snow ill try my best to enjoy the heavy rain :mellow::cray: Later

Posted
Sorry i worded that badly, I meant to say I think it WILL settle because of how heavy the showers are.

Its starting to give me a headache now i've been on here too long lately, ill be back on this evening. If we dont get Heavy snow ill try my best to enjoy the heavy rain :mellow::cray: Later

If you look on the brighter side if it falls as rain tonight we are all going to get best night sleep in quite a while! :lol:

Posted

same here hun my head is pounding for the same reason.. hope it gets better soon.. and yes looking forward to a good nights sleep if im not called out :lol:

kaz x

The Met Office forecasts snow as seen below. Devon and Somerset is part of the West country right? Any snow for the Blackdown Hills, or near Illminster/Chard way?

60% Wales

60% South West England

60% West Midlands

60% East Midlands

Heavy Snow 0100 Thu 5 1500 Thu 5

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of the Midlands, the West Country and southern and eastern Wales during Thursday. An area of snow will move in from the south during the early hours of Thursday and will continue through the morning and into the afternoon. There will be accumulations of 2 to 5 cm of snow in general, with 5 to 10 cm likely in places and 20 to 30 cm possible over higher ground. This will cause disruption to travel across the region.

Issued at: 1047 Wed 4 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Now there's someme one talking some sense a lady after my own heart could'nt agree more :mellow:

I hope we aren't going to start the unwritten N-W rule about "moving on" by "cutting snow out of your life" again this year though, we get it nearly every year between February and April as the expectation is for people to have a two-season set of weather preferences.

I still think the West Country is in with a fair chance- indeed a very high chance above about 200m, with the cold air getting a long way south according to the GFS and also the Met Office's risk maps. Maybe just backward edge sleet/snow for lowland areas.

Re. ground temps rising, if snow is heavy enough at temperatures close to freezing, it will settle.

Posted
The Met Office forecasts snow as seen below. Devon and Somerset is part of the West country right? Any snow for the Blackdown Hills, or near Illminster/Chard way?

60% Wales

60% South West England

60% West Midlands

60% East Midlands

Heavy Snow 0100 Thu 5 1500 Thu 5

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of the Midlands, the West Country and southern and eastern Wales during Thursday. An area of snow will move in from the south during the early hours of Thursday and will continue through the morning and into the afternoon. There will be accumulations of 2 to 5 cm of snow in general, with 5 to 10 cm likely in places and 20 to 30 cm possible over higher ground. This will cause disruption to travel across the region.

Issued at: 1047 Wed 4 Feb

Might get 5-10cm but id expect it to turn to rain earlier down there so might melt away after.

Posted

sorry to bring bad news...a little girl died in a sledge accident... :mellow:

...also

theye have used half of all grit and salt already and the

women on BBC warns about the snow for tonight...

john hammond gets interviewd on 24...........warns of heavy snnow for rush hr

edit If netwetaher is correct we are going to get mega heavy snow around 06.00...

Also DEVON on the BBC did have snow for a period of time

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

hello

loved seeing snow yesterday im in cornwall camborne ( between truro and pezance) we got loads kids happy etc, now all melted away, have very srong winds and rain so cant see us getting any more snow...... what do you think.?

Posted

Interestingly the temp is now dropping again, albeit slowly, dp is just dipping below freezing, strong wind from the East... me wonders.

Edit: Pressure is also dropping away, 987mb at the moment.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Hmmmm, well I reckon I will get just rain or possibly sleet for South Somerset, much greater risk the further North of the county you go - esp. Bristol Northwards. Have to wait and see, but not getting my hopes up. Saying that though, there looks to be a greater risk of snow down here Thursday night into Friday as the rain/snow band pushes back down south and east.

Edited by tornadomanuk

Posted
Interestingly the temp is now dropping again, albeit slowly, dp is just dipping below freezing, strong wind from the East... me wonders.

Edit: Pressure is also dropping away, 987mb at the moment.

Matt, if you don't get snow on Dartmoor tonight then there's not much chance for the rest of us :) !

You are primed for a dumping IMO even if lower areas of Devon don't get much more than sleet.

It's going to be a Nowcasting situation from approximately 17.00 onwards. I actually think for my exact location we won't get too much fresh snow, it certainly will for a while but I am somewhat lower than the parts of the county further North - however having said that I'm also higher than most of my town.

Quite apart from tonight's chances, it's beautiful to see the hills of Salisbury Plain covered in snow for 48 hours now rather than it all melting within a day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
I hope we aren't going to start the unwritten N-W rule about "moving on" by "cutting snow out of your life" again this year though, we get it nearly every year between February and April as the expectation is for people to have a two-season set of weather preferences.

I still think the West Country is in with a fair chance- indeed a very high chance above about 200m, with the cold air getting a long way south according to the GFS and also the Met Office's risk maps. Maybe just backward edge sleet/snow for lowland areas.

Re. ground temps rising, if snow is heavy enough at temperatures close to freezing, it will settle.

No TWS just philosophying on my part like to keep my short term and long term opinions realistic :)

Posted
Matt, if you don't get snow on Dartmoor tonight then there's not much chance for the rest of us :) !

You are primed for a dumping IMO even if lower areas of Devon don't get much more than sleet.

I'll take that, thanks! haha. It does seem to be getting colder, and the ice is reforming on the pond... which is quite interesting to watch... must do work... You of course benefit from being further north so elevation less of an issue maybe?

Edit: Temp still dropping... oo er

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Grr the temp did go down to 3c bt now its back at 4.