Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I do agree that this thread should be pinned. There are so few of us compared to posters from the rest of the UK, yet Scotland quite often has some very interesting weather on offer which I'm sure we'd all like to discuss.

During the Hogmanay cold spell, I commented on the freezing cold night time minima and day time maxima in the Highlands of Scotland (-13'C in Aviemore, -12'C in Inverness etc -5'C one day in Inverness), but yet I wasn't really able to discuss this with too many folk at all. That hoar frost seen around the Moray Firth was brilliant and I would have liked to discuss it a bit more with fellow North Easterners.

Also, we can get our Scottish craic without confusing too many people!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Take a look at the main road (A90) into the south of Aberdeen:

The camera is covered in the other direction. Looking pretty white across the whole NE now.

post-5343-1233824285_thumb.jpg

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Yessssssss......we have had about 8 to 10cms. It really was blizzard condition during the night.

The wind blew the snow horizontally during the wee hours but not always with big flakes.

It was a constant 10 hours of snow coming up the Moray Firth and hitting us on the hillside south of Inverness. A real streamer!!

I would love for us Scots to have this section pinned. We do sometimes have dramatic weather.

Temperature currently -2C

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

We had about 3" overnight 3 miles north of Inverness. Temp currently at -0.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

we have a few cms here by the sea. all schools closed, not much moving at all apart from snowballs! plenty of people heading off to the hill with sledges; i'm going to join them soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: COLD AND SNOWY

still snowing lightly in ayr ,sky gone darker again but only lying on the grass cars etc temp 0.7*c , up north (and that doesnt mean birmingham!!!!!) :D looks excellent if only it would come down here later

Posted

Temperatures in the north are really beginning to drop as the colder air digs in!

Picture: Ahhh, miss Inverness :D

post-8058-1233826108_thumb.jpg

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

still snowing in Aberdeen, roads in the city are a nightmare, BMW's and Mercs sliding everywhere :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just started snowing at 9am here. Very light to start with but getting heavier now and starting to lie. Temp 1oC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Very very light snow in the wind here in Leith. The metoffice forecast for here will be "correct" on a technicailty it seems. Pah !

From my window the Fife coast is getting that smudged hazy look so theres some stuff falling towards there. Looks like the radar is showing a smudge of precipitation has just appeared out of nothing in the last hour or so.

Poor effort compared to you luckys beggars up north !

Posted

Look interesting on Friday night / Saturday according to the GFS precipitation charts for Aberdeenshire, Morayshire and the Highlands.

Posted
still snowing in Aberdeen, roads in the city are a nightmare, BMW's and Mercs sliding everywhere :-)

Yup - interesting walk to work. I live in a street with a dip in the middle - uphill in all directions to get out. We call it the valley of the damned in winter - once you get in it's a struggle to get back out. This morning a TNT delivery truck had slid backwards into next doors garage wall. A group of blokes from the building site up the road were heading down with grit on shovels, ropes & a large building site dump truck to help extricate him last I saw. All around were scattered cars and the large trucks heading for the building site, unable to pass.

Of course, all this isn't helped by our council cutbacks (due to them having got the city massively in debt) leading to little to no road treatments.

Posted

Started snowing lightly here in Edinburgh (Gyle) about 20 min ago. Very, Very fine flakes.

Posted
Yup - interesting walk to work. I live in a street with a dip in the middle - uphill in all directions to get out. We call it the valley of the damned in winter - once you get in it's a struggle to get back out. This morning a TNT delivery truck had slid backwards into next doors garage wall. A group of blokes from the building site up the road were heading down with grit on shovels, ropes & a large building site dump truck to help extricate him last I saw. All around were scattered cars and the large trucks heading for the building site, unable to pass.

Of course, all this isn't helped by our council cutbacks (due to them having got the city massively in debt) leading to little to no road treatments.

Is that around the Hardgate area? It was a right mess of stuck cars this morning, i work just round the corner but stay in Peterculter about 9 miles out of Aberdeen. The roads on the way in this morning were not too bad, but as you said, lack of grit.

Just looking at this

http://www.sat24.com/homepage.aspx?page=ir

that little system off to the north looks like it could bring some fun to Scotland :-)

Edited by Kerwin

Posted

You are right Kerwin......if that little system doesn't go too far west on its way south, we could get another dumping.

I would add we are very fortunate in that Highland Council are very good at keeping the roads gritted and open.

Because we are above the snowline we are privileged they keep all our side roads gritted too. They are normally prepared.

I lived down south for many years and every time there was a couple of inches of snow, pandemonium occurred.(I would add that didnt happen very often over the last 10 to 15 years!)

Posted
This must be the worst place in the world for snow at our latitude :) I couldn't believe it was raining given the temps and dewpoints earlier on, but then when the moisture comes in it gets milder :) . If it's cold enough there's never enough moisture and when there's enough moisture it's never cold enough!

I think I'm gonnae give up snow-hoping altogether and become a summer man instead. Roll on 33C in Ayr! At least there's a better chance with global warming :o

Erm.... :)

http://thecraptastics.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/fail.jpg

I actually have quite a nice blanket of snow this morning, probably about an inch on the grass and cars and a lighter dusting on the pavements. Started at about 3am going by the Met Office. The sky looks beautiful though, that silver colour that only seems to come with a covering of snow.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Some good pics on the Traffic Scotland webcams. Looks like the roads blocked at Foudland. Shame there isn't a webcam on the Cairn O Mount (Banchory to Fettercairn) I would think that would be interesting this morning :o

Pic from the East Foudland webcam

post-4448-1233829519_thumb.jpg

Posted
You are right Kerwin......if that little system doesn't go too far west on its way south, we could get another dumping.

I would add we are very fortunate in that Highland Council are very good at keeping the roads gritted and open.

Because we are above the snowline we are privileged they keep all our side roads gritted too. They are normally prepared.

I lived down south for many years and every time there was a couple of inches of snow, pandemonium occurred.(I would add that didnt happen very often over the last 10 to 15 years!)

I agree with you completely. I also lived down South up until four years ago. The slightess bit of snow and everything came to a grinding halt. The Highland Council are brilliant at keeping our roads open up here. My employers are in Somerset and I work for them here from home. (I was luckily to bring my job with me) They have not been able to get out for a few days because of the snow. It is absolute chaos down there. Where they are there is only about an inch or so.

Posted

seems to have plenty of rotation in it, so even if it goes west it might destabilise the northerly flow a little. Seems to be a few more forming upstream too.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

fine snow falling again day 2 of this non event here in Glasgow what a damp squib again with all this talk of this weather front moving down from the north

i really hold no weather forecast or prediction with any credibility

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Hi all.

Yes Lady P, I looked out the window 0645, nothing more had fallen. Had brekkie, showered, looked out the window - armageddon!!! :)

Trudged to work in centre of Aberdeen looking like Scott of the Antarctic! :lol:

Snow off now in snow city, but for how long?

And where is the BBC rolling coverage..... :)