Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For London, Ea & Se England

Posted
Not Yamkins optimism in this case but Croydon council reacting too early to a marginal situation. They sent out a general email this afternoon based on the METO forecast warning of severe weather tonight. We've had reports of schools already saying they are going to be closed tomorrow and now it looks like that will be pointless.

I guess in Croydon's defence they were caught short on Monday and have had a lot of complaints about how long it has taken to clear the roads and paths, most roads are now clear (except side roads) yet nearly all paths are still covered in ice.

It's a case of your damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to reacting to adverse weather.

The council ordered all schools to notify either by letter, email or word of mouth that schools could be closed due to the MetO's severe snow warning.

Croydon council were NOT caught short on Sunday/Monday as the MetO advised us that confidence was low. This is true and not a cover up our end. Even though I knew the storm would be very disruptive, we had to abide by the MetO forecast only (politics!!). What you find now is that any little sign of snow and warnings appear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

I must admit as much as I love snow, I'm thoroughly looking forward to 'NO' tomorrow for our region. I have lots too do and am pleased :D

Goodnight from the snowless part of Uk.......................... <_< <_< :D

Seasons

Posted
LOL That would be great, all Netweather Members turn up with a Sledge to the Dunstable Downs and have a Massive Sledge Race, nice flask of Tea and something warm to eat. How much Snow was on the Downs from last nights Snow? Paul S
Tea? Tea!! <_< something a lot stronger is probably more like it

thought you was off to bed Paul <_<

as for your earlier post, i too dont want snow, as while you are having an easy journey into the city, i want to be having an easy one out of the city and get home to bed. :D

*wonder if all this reverse psychology will really work :D

Posted
Tea? Tea!! :D something a lot stronger is probably more like it

thought you was off to bed Paul :D

as for your earlier post, i too dont want snow, as while you are having an easy journey into the city, i want to be having an easy one out of the city and get home to bed. :D

*wonder if all this reverse psychology will really work :D

Skulks away to bed with a Bottle of Scotch in Hand............. <_< <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Reports of TWO FOOT of snow in Devon with over 200 cars stranded! <_< :D

If only that could happen here................... <_<

Seasons

Edited by Seasons

Posted

Devon has seem to be hit hard with no warning!

And the front has appeared to have stalled over south west england!

give the east some time to cool? <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
I am not sure this PPN is going to hit London at all, unless it lurches east its going past to the NW?

Banstead Surrey reporting temp 2°C / Dew 2°C / Thick fog

the latest NW radar has it heading up into Surrey/London area already, with ppn already into Bucks.

Posted
Where'd you read that? 2 Foot! B)

I heard the bloke on the tv say that as well. He is at telegragh hill on the A38 where the people are trapped in their cars.

Sudden heavy snow and blizzard conditions blew the snow into drifts of up to 2 feet - he said !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Well, just heard that Bucks council have confirmed no school transport will be available for any schools in Bucks tomorrow. Every school in Bucks is hence closed tomorrow.. I've NEVER known that to happen..

I'm seriously getting puzzled by all these shutdowns. I used to live in Amersham and worked in Aylesbury in '77–83 and despite the several far more severe snow events of the time, none of the schools were closed, ever.

We used to live just over the road from Dr. Challoners which is just up from the railway station. What is going on?

Posted

Well off to bed disapointed again now seems we have had our bit off fun last sunday/monday. but it just pi**** me off that i look foward to a snow event and then yet again we are let down at the last minuite. May think off stop looking at the models nearley every day after 10 years still cant predict weather from 4 hours out what chance is there then looking 4 days out? still hope some get their snow tonight just gets on my nerves it isint me honestley. night all B)

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
I'm seriously getting puzzled by all these shutdowns. I used to live in Amersham and worked in Aylesbury in '77–83 and despite the several far more severe snow events of the time, none of the schools were closed, ever.

We used to live just over the road from Dr. Challoners which is just up from the railway station. What is going on?

As some people have said on the news, it's our health and safety culture gone mad. Schools don't want to open and have the risk of being sued because some kid gets hit in the eye by a snowball or accidently falls over and bruises it's backside. Jesus they've banned playing conkers in most schools, so a little snow is going to cause mass closures. Very sad really, half the problem these days children are treated like idiots and wrapped up in cotton wool. Thing is getting a few scraped knees or cuts while doing something an adult may consider silly or slight dangerous is part of childhood and how children learn. B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Redhill, raining but its mighty cold! I wonder if it will turn like it did in the South West....precip is too light at the mo.

BFTP

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Well my optimism for snow in the south east corner tomorrow has waned considerably. It looks as though the snow band in the north of the area will stick there for a while (very good for them of course) and by the time it does move southwards tomorrow evening it will be quickly breaking up. In fact the BBC graphics I have just seen suggest that Kent and Sussex will not see snow at all and rain will just die out almost in situ. Very disappointing.

I'm looking ahead to later next week now and hoping that the ECM of this morning, and even more so of tonight, stays consistent. Could be looking at better snow for a greater part of the south east as well as other areas by the latter part of next week. A long way off - but it has a good chance of happening. And there will be no marginal rain or snow issues either. B)

Posted
the latest NW radar has it heading up into Surrey/London area already, with ppn already into Bucks.

This is correct.

The MetO are releasing updates to councils due to the sudden change in the weather.

The MetO did not even realise that ppn would head towards London so soon.

The very heavy snow in the SW right now has stalled. This will allow the much colder air to filter further South.

Temp and Dew point here is 1c

Ahh, fair enough. I don't think towards Amersham has been hit as hard so far as further north in the county. (at least in today / last night's event).. It's all health and safety, incredibly icy, people scared to drive etc.. Also, the main road near me was a car park at 9am this morning.. Would've been a waste opening the schools I think. People I imagine lived overall closer on average to the schools they attended in 77-83 than they do now I should think.. More likely to walk to school than have to drive 5-10 miles?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

i just saw the 10.30 bbc forecast with darren bett, and he said that the snow will steer clear to the north and west of london and remain as rain or sleet in london about 10 times. wtf has happened? ive been out for 2 hours and i come back and find that its all gone ti*s up?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just watching the recorded forecast on bbc24 news weather, and they are still going for heavy snow to affect Cambs later in the night and during tomorrow morning. But im not lamp post watching til 1.30am tonight..!!

I'm about 11 miles east of Cambridge and the temps and dewpoints are almost an exact replica of last night at this time, temps 0.1 ° C, dewpoints 0° C and uppers –1.5 ° C (a degree warmer than last night).

I really didn't expect snow, but it still happened. I think tomorrow will be more interesting.

Posted
This is correct.

The MetO are releasing updates to councils due to the sudden change in the weather.

The MetO did not even realise that ppn would head towards London so soon.

The very heavy snow in the SW right now has stalled. This will allow the much colder air to filter further South.

Temp and Dew point here is 1c

Tbh yamkin mate i think you know down in your heart off hearts its not looking to good for snow now mate not settling snow anyway so i expect the meto to stick to their warnings. Its a bitter pill to swallow but lets move on and get some sleep eh? Its not our day today. :yahoo:

Guys- Seperating this weekend into next week for a moment-

Look at the 18Z parallel for the SE for mon / Tues- with that Low pressure from the Azores- A direct hit for the SE-

Will make the SW look like tiddlewinks if it varified-

S

Edited by Steve Murr